Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 05:13 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,303,834 times

Advertisements

In theory, we want to be able to tell our daughters that anything is possible with the right level of education and drive. We were probably told that by our mothers so that's what we spend most of our lives telling ourselves and others. The reality is life throws you a number of curveballs outside of your control, and a big one for women can be our looks. I've spent the majority of my life being very education driven, I was homeschooled, went to high school and took calculus in the 10th grade, studied 3 years for the SAT's and ended up with a score in the 99th percentile. Then I went to a top tier school, met people from a lot of different backgrounds and realized there are a ton of factors that influence how far you will go in life, and sadly your education/individual drive plays much less of a factor than mommy told you. That doesn't mean give up, it means diversify.

Looks are important.

Last edited by xxbabeechick; 07-21-2012 at 05:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 05:13 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Read NjBest's post. He admitted looks were a factor in his hiring a secretary.
A factor, but not the only one. And skills will always trump looks in the long run.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:16 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
What is wrong with me,asking a supposedly"stupid" question of what I see all around me in everyday life. Silly me.
I'm delusional. Hillary Clinton,Oprah,and Janet Reno are all intelligent women who have men breaking down their doors and who get praised for their intelligence by men.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I've read MANY of xxbabeechick's posts...certainly enough to know that they're not really the posts you wanna invoke as backup to legitimize your claim to, well, pretty much anything you might have to say on any topic. Sorry.
Whatever. Don't like the thread? Don't post.
You haven't contributed anything meaningful.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:18 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,303,834 times
And let's face it, furthering your education can also be subject to the law of diminishing returns. My sister and brother in law both have master's degrees (he has two) and they're both unemployed. Furthermore they're in debt. Being savvy in life doesn't mean falling back on oft repeated one shoe fits all advice. For a smart woman with an undergrad degree in a good field, cosmetic surgery may very well pay greater dividends than pursuing a master's.

I know that idea offends and angers some women baselessly, but that doesn't make it any less true.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
A factor, but not the only one. And skills will always trump looks in the long run.
I thought skills would trump looks in the long run too,but I was mistaken.
There was a hospital here that laid off thousands of older nurses with decades of experience.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:27 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I thought skills would trump looks in the long run too,but I was mistaken.
There was a hospital here that laid off thousands of older nurses with decades of experience.
And we all get old in the end. Do you think you'll have a better chance being the old nurse with all the experience and education, or being the old nurse with the plastic boobs?

You know prostitution is a very reliable and profitable career.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Basic reading comprehension. I never said women weren't compensated for their looks. I never once said "that looks didn't matter in nursing". Although, if I were sick, I wouldn't give a crap what the nurse looked like.

I questioned why any self-respecting person, who could only afford one or the other, choose cosmetic surgery instead of furthering her education. Why any mature, professional adult would actually complain about working hard to afford something she wants rather than have it handed to her based on said surgery.

I have no idea why the girl with big boobs got a free ride. But instead of being jealous, why not feel pride that you earned it and paid for it yourself?
Come on,you mean to tell me you wouldn't want to be a housewife in a big house?
I would,rather than working 2 jobs.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:38 PM

Aside from the other stuff, but how does getting a degree= more pay?
I know in nursing the hospital down the hill pays nurses with a Bachelors in Nursing 25 cents more than Adn nurses.

I guess I wasn't thinking when I posted,but if I get a Masters in Nursing I would get paid $80,000 a year.
But the catch is most jobs in nursing are for staff nurses on med surg floors. Not too many hospitals would hire a nurses with a Master's degree in Nursing to do staff nursing. So in effect,I would lock myself out of where a majority of nursing jobs are.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:41 PM

484 posts, read 854,454 times
So are you saying you're not attractive? What about us pretty girls who don't need it?...lol I can't take this thread serious lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty