U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 08:27 AM

24,858 posts, read 30,161,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Why are you not suppoes to wear white after certain days? thats just dumb...
Exactly. Wear what you like; wear what's suited to the weather, and to hell with everyone else.

I'm thinking the only non-negotiable rule about white is that you don't wear a white dress to a wedding.

Unless it's your own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 11:15 PM

16,197 posts, read 9,499,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anu2 View Post
What are the official rules on wearing white after Labor Day? I remember that years ago, no white was allowed except for shirts and sweaters. Then, I heard that one can wear white anywhere except for shoes. Which one is the official rule of 2007? Also, does weather matter? In the South, it's still in the 80s and 90s, can one wear white pants or white shorts?

So who is deciding you cannot wear white at a specific time? The fashion police? Who the hell cares what you wear or when you wear it. Your clothes, your choice unless of course you are a fashion trend follower then by all means follow all the rules that few others care about.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:37 AM

1,404 posts, read 2,375,458 times
Weather is key- you see more white and brighter colors in the Sunbelt- all year..

People wearing bright colors during the cold parts of the year, in Northern areas, kinda stick out like a sore thumb...I know it did in Seattle anyway...However, I notice the elderly or adolescents dont seem to care about coordinating clothing colors with season.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:02 AM

14,677 posts, read 9,246,302 times
The weather, your location and region dictate whether or not this "no white after Labor Day" rule will be observed. If you are in Southern California, Arizona, NM, Florida or the Caribbean then I would not worry about the rule.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:12 AM

10,772 posts, read 8,793,132 times
Wear what you want. The dictate was from the North East and does make some sense when one thinks of the climate and the geography there. White shoes on a brisk Autumn day would look silly.

Since this edict was issued, Winter White has been introduced. Warmer and more creamy, it is accepted almost everywhere in winter.

I do not live in the sun belt, but I have friends who do and all of them adjust their wardrobe as to season.

Old 03-17-2012, 02:28 AM

11 posts, read 6,086 times
That rule is no longer a rule. You can wear any color you wish all year long without being criticized for violating fashion rules. Also, it seems to me that the only reason a person would not want to wear white after labor day is because white is viewed by many as a summer color. However, when you consider that in some states the climate is warm all year long, the rule never made much sense to begin with.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:44 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,511 posts, read 11,537,064 times
This is a very outdated nonsensical fashion rule. Even the fashion designers don't adhere to it anymore.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:19 AM

12,077 posts, read 11,036,727 times
who makes these dumb rules up.
we are so backwards here in America, if we think it is important not to wear white after labor day.......we need our heads examined.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:39 AM

2,393 posts, read 6,662,657 times
There are no "rules"....

If you're in an area where it's hot year round, then white is worn year round. And, don't forget, there is a "winter white".

Sure, if it's 40 degrees out, you will look silly in bright white capris or shorts...but you aren't breaking any laws!!!

Old 03-22-2012, 01:04 PM

8,958 posts, read 7,745,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anu2 View Post
What are the official rules on wearing white after Labor Day? I remember that years ago, no white was allowed except for shirts and sweaters. Then, I heard that one can wear white anywhere except for shoes. Which one is the official rule of 2007? Also, does weather matter? In the South, it's still in the 80s and 90s, can one wear white pants or white shorts?
"Official rules" for fashion are nothing more than pure bull manure used by the wealthy to segregate the rich from the poor.

"Official fashion rules" are a vile holdover from the old slavery class system in early America.

As long as you ,and your clothing, is clean well kept "Official fashion rules" don't mean squat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty