U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 02:10 PM

4,147 posts, read 4,547,520 times

Advertisements

Not attracted to pale. I was in the Apple store today and saw the palest guy I've ever seen. He looked like someone out of Twilight. No thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 02:50 PM

308 posts, read 730,054 times
skin tone is completely irrelevant to many men. women are idiots for wasting money and fake tanning, while accelerating the skin aging and increasing risk of skin cancer.

unless of course you are from South East Asia, where the more pale the skin, the more noble you are (another hogwash idea).

Old 07-23-2012, 03:15 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,114,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzrOrange View Post
skin tone is completely irrelevant to many men. women are idiots for wasting money and fake tanning, while accelerating the skin aging and increasing risk of skin cancer.

unless of course you are from South East Asia, where the more pale the skin, the more noble you are (another hogwash idea).
Men seem to tan just as much as women do, in the same unhealthy manners as well. I suppose that neither gender like pale skin on themselves or others. I do agree that location plays a part. Asians as a whole desire pale skin, and some go to extreme measures to prevent themselves from tanning, or bleach their skin to lighten themselves. That is just as damaging and tragic as is laying in what is essentially a human oven to tan.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:18 PM

6,621 posts, read 11,176,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
Not attracted to pale. I was in the Apple store today and saw the palest guy I've ever seen. He looked like someone out of Twilight. No thank you!
I like the ones that look unbelievably pale and talk on their white iPhone.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:26 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,219,454 times
Ever notice that it's taboo to say anything bad about people who are 'too dark' but it's fine to make fun of people who are 'too pale'? Most pale people don't choose to be that way either. I'm sure if I wrote "dark skin = ew" in a thread about dark people, that wouldn't go over so well.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:32 PM

10,121 posts, read 16,721,272 times
Debsi: Proudly and prettily pale since birth. Except for those few really bad sunburns.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:20 PM

3,225 posts, read 6,124,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Ever notice that it's taboo to say anything bad about people who are 'too dark' but it's fine to make fun of people who are 'too pale'? Most pale people don't choose to be that way either. I'm sure if I wrote "dark skin = ew" in a thread about dark people, that wouldn't go over so well.
Oh, it's the same double standard that's with thinness and fatness. It's perfectly okay (in this society) to say horrible things about women who are thin and even built just average ("anorexic", "ew, skeleton", "eat a sandwhich"), yet it's unacceptable to say anything negative about overweight women ("real women have curves", "big is beautiful").

I have a medium skin tone, a little olive, that tans very easily. I used to like it but now I hate it, I wish I were paler. I work with a woman who has absolutely porcelain skin and she looks stunning.

I think attractiveness/nonattractiveness have more to do with the facial features and the body, not the color/hue/tone of the skin.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:20 PM

3,053 posts, read 3,428,459 times
Quote:
LOL people have done this all the time in threads about skin color.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:21 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,114,204 times
Quote:
Its wrong both ways. Describing anyone as 'ew' is just wrong.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:37 PM

72,676 posts, read 64,172,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
Just trying to understand why people risk skin cancer laying for hours in the sun, or using tanning beds. My skin is dark, so I just never understood the whole tanning thing. It just seems unhealthy.
It is unhealthy. I read that tanning became popular when the designer Coco Chanel came back from a winter vacation to Italy well-tanned. Before then, it was considered preferable to have pale skin, because tanned skin was related to outdoor laborers, i.e. considered low class. But when fashion trend-setter Chanel sported a tan in the middle of winter, it signaled money, travel and leisure, which were high-class things. Suddenly everyone had to have a tan. It became a fad that hasn't let up.

I dunno, it all seems a little silly, not to mention risky to the health. I figure I was born White, I'm gonna die White, so I might as well get used to being White instead of trying appear to be some sort of bizarre hybrid. I don't really notice if people are pale or not. Who cares? Personality is everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty