U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 12:03 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,443,013 times

Advertisements

So I'm lightly burnt right now after a trip to the lake, my fault for not reapplying the SPF 50 after a swim. But it's such cruel irony that I know I have to avoid the sun for all it's damaging rays because I so enjoy being in it. It's a great pleasure in my life to lay out at the lake or beach on a hot summer day, so hot and humid it's like a sauna outside and I stay in the warm sun until I have to dip into the water to cool down. I've even been to the tanning bed a couple times when the free opportunity arose and it's so comforting in those warm beds, if I could have one without the UV rays I would definitely opt for that.

Sigh. This is probably one of those womb things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 02:54 AM

3,469 posts, read 6,936,522 times
It's a current beauty standard that has more to do with social status than actual aesthetic appeal. Pale skin used to be considered the more beautiful for many centuries, after all.

The only aesthetic benefit I see to tanned skin is it helps to hide skin flaws a bit, like bruises, cellulite, scars, veins, etc. Since people show more skin with what they wear in day to day life, I guess anything which makes the exposed skin look more flawless is desirable. I think it can make you look a tad thinner too, which is also a current ideal. The sun can give a "glow" to the skin which is pretty, but I don't think a dark tan is necessary to get that effect. I personally think porcelain skin can be very pretty, but so can many other skin tones.

The social status part has to do with work. In the past (referring to Europe here, but I suspect it's true of Asian countries too), being tanned often meant you did labour outside & that you were poor. Pale skin often meant you were rich & stayed indoors a lot. Now it's the opposite.... being pale implies you're stuck in the office all the time working hard to make the bills & being tanned implies you have excess money & a lot of leisure time for outdoor activities & vacations.

I have another theory too... tanned skin implies that he skin is exposed frequently, which lessens the "intimate" feel of the body part being exposed. In particular, people react most to the legs being pale/tanned. In the past, people didn't expose legs in public. Pale legs still imply that they are not exposed much, which can bring back that feeling of it being intimate to expose the legs & that makes people feel uncomfortable (although they likely do not make that connection consciously).

Old 08-02-2012, 10:11 AM

832 posts, read 1,313,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
I don't think pale women are unattractive, but people who are so pale that their skin is glowing and translucent, I personally don't find that attractive. Neither do I find people whose skin is so dark it's blue attractive, so it's not a race thing on my part.

I do find that white women look more attractive to me with a bit of a tan, it makes them look thinner and more "fit"...but extreme orange isn't complimentary to anyone.
I agree so much with that! Pale skin is not ugly unless it looks like the kind that can glow in the dark! Fortunately I don't see that too often. I don't think there's much people like that can do about their skin, but someone's going to find it attractive even if I don't.

I have a fair, freckle-ly complexion but I'm not insecure about it because I have natually blond hair and blue eyes, so my skin tone looks appropriate. I admit sometimes I like to sit out in the sun for a while (with 15 or 30 spf sunscreen!) and get a little bit of a tan because I like the way it looks, but if I'm my usual pale self that's fine too.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:27 PM

58 posts, read 104,792 times
im half brazilian so I have a natural tan but i can cook in sun outdoors when I do landscaping that being said pale women or tan women are gorgeous idc bout skin tone.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:56 PM

40,954 posts, read 32,676,353 times
I think pale skin can be lovely.

Need I say more?

Old 08-02-2012, 01:49 PM

223 posts, read 229,862 times
I guess it's considered unattractive to some people just as is any physical trait is considered unattractive to some people.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:54 PM

17,414 posts, read 18,279,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Ever notice that it's taboo to say anything bad about people who are 'too dark' but it's fine to make fun of people who are 'too pale'? Most pale people don't choose to be that way either. I'm sure if I wrote "dark skin = ew" in a thread about dark people, that wouldn't go over so well.
Umm, obviously you haven't seen the numerous threads that discuss how "unattractive" dark skinned women are.

But I think that pale skin is not an issue for women but is very unattractive on men.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:04 PM

1,895 posts, read 4,040,035 times
Porcelain, pale skin is very beautiful, if one's make-up and attire complement it.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:42 PM

7,808 posts, read 5,448,011 times
I agree. Pale is beautiful. But what does clamey and pastey mean when referring to pale skin?

Old 08-02-2012, 03:28 PM

14 posts, read 17,394 times
I'm pretty pale myself and I have auburn hair and light freckles so I burn real easy (every now and then in the summer I might get a little tan, not much though and it goes away). I prefer my skin being more pale it looks more natural on me (redheads don't look natural with tan skin, in my opinion). I also have a fear of skin cancer, so I prefer staying out of the sun most of the time (plus I don't want my hair color to fade at all lol) and I ALWAYS wear sunscreen even if it's not very sunny out. I hate hot weather but unfortunately where I live it goes past the 100s in the summer.
But I do agree that tan's make you look thinner, and more toned as well, because your muscles have more shading to them. And as Orangeapple said it does hide skin flaws like cellulite, bruises etc. However, tanning beds are not healthy even too much sun isn't healthy, it's definitely not the way to go, it may look good at first while you're young but once you're older your skin will look older and be more wrinkled. No matter what your skin tone is it's important to take care of it and where sunscreen to protect from sun damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty