U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 12:10 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,711,277 times

Advertisements

I tan easily but I do make sure I'm protected and I don't spend a ton of time out in the sun. I have a friend who tans in a tanning bed about 3x a week at least and she is super tan year around. She claims that her skin doesn't look good when she's pale. I worry about skin cancer with her, she's pretty dark. It's enough that you do a double take. And I really think she honestly doesn't see herself as tan as others do. It's kinda scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 08:26 AM

10,892 posts, read 13,010,885 times
I'll take pale over the alternative...!

Law Prohibits Nation's Shawnas From Using Tanning Beds - YouTube

Old 08-06-2012, 09:01 AM

64 posts, read 216,156 times
I am in my late 30s and regularly get mistaken for 27. And my boyfriend is 26-- no one bats an eye. In fact, everyone is very surprised when I tell them my real age. I have never been a sun worshipper (though I love the beach) due to my skintone. 20s and tanned may be hot-- 40s and leathery is NOT. Think Donatella Versace and cringe.

If you want to look more glowy, there are some great bronzers out there.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:46 PM

9,397 posts, read 13,234,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
Just trying to understand why people risk skin cancer laying for hours in the sun, or using tanning beds. My skin is dark, so I just never understood the whole tanning thing. It just seems unhealthy.
I think it is, and i don't know why. There's two kinds of pale to me: the healthy kind (think people of like Irish descent or something) and the unhealthy kind (person who's got the flu or some other disease). Most pale people are pale because that's how they were born, not cos of some malady. Lord knows some of the most beautiful women I've met have pale skin. If they've got red hair or dark hair it contrasts beautifully.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:47 AM

3,404 posts, read 7,252,467 times
I'm naturally pale but have been a sun worshiper for 7 years, especially while I was living in Miami for 5 of them.

I always figured because I'm South American and Jewish American I was "supposed" to have color, but South America is just as much as a melting pot as the US.

I'm just naturally very fair, I get a sunburn my first week or two in the sun after winter. I have decided to stop abusing my skin because it's just not worth all of the risks.

What I love about being tan is it changes my look completely. When I'm pale people guess I'm russian, maybe Italian, or just "white". But even with a light tan people start asking if I'm Colombian. I also look more like the rest of my family when I tan, which may be a subconscious reason for why I always like tanning. They all have natural tans, and I get so pale in the winter.

It doesn't help that my BF loves when I get a tan, but he hates tanning salons and actually called out my habit in front of my family, including my mother.

My mother ended up making me feel so bad about it, so now I'm going to cancel my membership.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:00 PM

48 posts, read 82,440 times
I am the color I was born with, I am pale. I am a natural blond with blue eyes. Fair skin is not unnatural in blonds it is actually the opposite. Blonds and redheads are born with this gene. It is also harder for us to tan, we burn easily.

It's unnatural to see a tan woman or man with natural red or blond hair. Embrace the color of your skin.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:49 PM

532 posts, read 979,180 times
Seeing as Arizona has an insanely high incidence of skin cancer, I'll stick to being pale. I like looking like a dolly :P

Old 08-07-2012, 07:12 PM

2,198 posts, read 3,288,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
Just trying to understand why people risk skin cancer laying for hours in the sun, or using tanning beds. My skin is dark, so I just never understood the whole tanning thing. It just seems unhealthy.
Sun Tanning | LIVESTRONG.COM

Old 08-07-2012, 08:04 PM

3,404 posts, read 7,252,467 times
There is something to be said for that after-beach feeling of being very relaxed from absorbing vitamin D from the sun. It just feels good.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:05 PM

23,599 posts, read 31,143,716 times
I have the worst of both worlds...Jewish olive skin and an extremely pale complexion, so scars light up like neon and I always look sick because I'm pale but not pink.

I refuse to fake tan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty