U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 11:16 PM

6,495 posts, read 2,237,845 times

Advertisements

In all the high fashion magazines like Vogue, Harper's Bazaar everyone seems to be very pale. Pale skin is thought of as an attractive feature, something that crosses all cultures, for some reason. It is some kind of carryover from the past where if you were pale that meant you were wealthy and stayed indoors while everyone else was working outdoors. Asian woman have been known to do drastic things to their skin to become "lighter" - they bleach their skin and put toxic chemicals on their faces, all in the hope they will become pale. It's very sad that people go to such extremes. Beauty comes in all shades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 05:11 AM

1,313 posts, read 2,726,795 times
my wife's daughter is 31 and looks like she is 18. she tans well but chooses to avoid tanning and being in the sun for extended time for health reasons. with brown hair and eyes and very light skin, she looks beautiful the way she is.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:05 PM

4,774 posts, read 7,493,323 times
I'm very light skin, but I do tan rather quickly and effortlessly. This means that during the warmer months I'm usually a few shades darker than during the colder months, despite the fact that I don't intentionally tan anywhere, the darker color is the product of daily errands that exposes me to the sun.

Definitely more women notice me during the warmer months than during the colder ones, so I think many people do find darker skin more attractive. I have no clue why this is the case.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:00 PM

3,932 posts, read 3,638,332 times
I think being tan went out of style in major metro areas (except the bridge and tunnel crowds) about 1987.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:13 PM

24,268 posts, read 17,510,732 times
I consider very pale skin to be unattractive. Neither am I very fond of red hair, as it often comes with milk-white skin. I often think: "wow, I couldn't let her go outside during summer".

Old 01-20-2014, 07:08 AM

333 posts, read 376,744 times
I am reasonably pale, though not "ill" pale. My father has olive skin and my mother has a pale Irish complexion. I tend towards my mother's side, but I used to tan very easily as a child. I don't spend the time in the sun to see whether or not I would tan easily any more. Skin cancer isn't cool and I often find that people who tan too much look leathery and unappealing. It ages people too quickly in my opinion.

There's something to be said for looking after a paler complexion anyway. I am in my mid thirties and am mistaken for early-mid twenties all the time. I'll protect myself from the sun to maintain that! My grandmother lived to 100 and had amazing skin.

Love and look after what you have.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:53 AM

12 posts, read 11,020 times
Not really. Look at vampires. Just kidding.
It is a matter of preference. Some people look better on pale skin some don't. So no, having pale skin is not necessarily unattractive.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:25 AM

4,103 posts, read 4,010,209 times
I find that my tastes as a man have changed over time. As a teen I bought into the whole "tan is hot, pale is not" phase, but as I get older I like skin of every color in a girl. FYI Im Scandinavian pale. My wife has a tanned Germanic skintone, but I didnt date her because of that.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:25 PM

876 posts, read 753,869 times
Unattractive?don't know but it's surely a bit boring
lily white skin plus blue eyes plus blonde hair plus blonde beard and even blonde eyebrows
just like the opposite, a black skinned with black eyes, black hair etc

definitely too boring

Old 01-26-2014, 10:14 PM

15,148 posts, read 15,204,207 times
I draw a BIG difference between an unhealthy looking pale and someone very fit, healthy and pale. Like comparing a heroin addicted women, who spends all her time inside and the Swedish Bikini Team
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty