U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 06:05 PM

11,790 posts, read 12,635,810 times

Advertisements

There are so many variances between manufacturers, it is hard to say what your one size is. Plus there's also US and UK sizing, which greatly differs and diverges after DD. The bad part is, there seems to be very little consensus on how the two relate. The tags on my wife's bras always say they are the same, like for instance 38J UK is 38J US according to the tag but the websites you can order them from say otherwise. And not even just the cup, the bands too. At one point when my wife wore a 36GG, she had two different bras from two different manufacturers, but one was strapless. She had to wear an extender to get the strapless to fit her, while the other one was fine, albeit a bit tight. So who knows. Its a conspiracy I tells ya, and at 60-$100 a pop a pretty good racket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 09:00 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,316,077 times
Is there any way to figure out the correct bra size at home? What exactly are the trained bra fitters measuring?

Old 07-27-2012, 09:06 PM

42,565 posts, read 42,407,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post
Is there any way to figure out the correct bra size at home? What exactly are the trained bra fitters measuring?
Um doesn't tell you when you order bras online?

Old 07-27-2012, 09:11 PM

4,615 posts, read 6,115,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post
here is a bra size calculator : What's My Size?
(although you can find many by doing a google search as well)

Old 07-27-2012, 09:30 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,292,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Agree on Nordstroms. Haven't tried Neimans, but my sister had good results. Nordies has more "cheaper" bra. Especially if you are an odd size. I.E. for me, it is at least possible to find a bra in the $50-70 range. Neiman's low-end for my size is more like $80-100.

If you fit into "standard" sizes, you can definitely find options in the $30-50 range. And lucky for me, Nordstroms does clearance bras all the time, so I can find a few options in the $30s most of the time.
Another vote for Nordstrom. I wore the wrong size forever (34A), and then I was looking for bras with a friend at Nordstrom. When I asked the girl for that size--she said no way, I was probably 32B. Although that is not a huge discrepancy, it still made a big difference. I don't know what they measure for, but in a subsequent fitting, the woman said the band should be snug and your breasts should fit in the cups completely. The part of the band between your breasts should sit flush against your chest--if there's a gap, it doesn't fit correctly. Using what I learned, I buy some cheap bras at Target and the like, but when there are sales at Nordstrom, I'll buy bras there.

For you women who are more, er, well-endowed, I would think getting the right fit would be super important.

Last edited by diva360; 07-27-2012 at 09:55 PM..

3,517 posts, read 5,441,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
No. No no no. How is that even a bra calculator? It asks you your current size and then tells you that's your size.

I suggest this: Thin and Curvy: How to measure your bra size, the correct way!

She goes over not only the proper method but the signs you should look for in a proper fitting bra. Sometimes the size you measure isnt your best fit because of the shape or positioning of your breasts, so like any clothing item you need to go through some trial and error, seeing what works for you but this should give you a decent starting point.

1,406 posts, read 2,316,077 times
Quote:
Thanks for the link!
I'm actually wearing the right size... Probably just a poor fitting brand/style.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:14 PM

26,875 posts, read 28,145,186 times
Quote:
That calculator is totally off. It put me in a band size that was 4 too many.

This one is pretty accurate.

Bra Size Calculator Canada

Old 07-27-2012, 11:16 PM

26,875 posts, read 28,145,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Um doesn't tell you when you order bras online?
Most of them are wrong. I try every one, and rarely do they get my size right or even close.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:18 AM

11,790 posts, read 12,635,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Most of them are wrong. I try every one, and rarely do they get my size right or even close.
Agreed. You are most likely just going to end up being frustrated unless you can try them on before you buy. The calcs are generally bogus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty