U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2012, 06:42 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,337,260 times

Advertisements

There are so many variations in styles and manufacturers. I don't think a calculator would work. Someone that knows, not only how to measure, but also knows their inventory makes all the difference.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 06:57 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,613,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post
Is there any way to figure out the correct bra size at home? What exactly are the trained bra fitters measuring?
Measuring is actually incredibly simple, which is why there's so much frustration with manufacturers who don't just stick with the simple and not try to target vanity.

The down and dirty (and accurate):

Measure yourself with a tape measure all the way around your torso, -just- under your boobs. In fact, have the edge of the tape measure graze the underbelly of your boobs. The tape should go straight around your back, not up or down.

That measurement you just did, is your back (also known as band) size.

Now - slide the whole thing up, back and front, until the tape is going right over the middle of your nipples. Measure that, and store that number in your head.

Now - that back size? Subtract it from the nipple measurement. Is the difference one inch? Then you're an A cup. Is it 2 inches? B cup. Three inches = D cup. Four = DD, or E in european sizing. Five = DDD, or F, in european sizing.

And so - a 36E is 36 inches around the back, right under the boobs, and 4 inches bigger around the nipple.

That is the one and only "correct" way to measure, and those are the one and only "accurate" sizings. The problem, is that the manufacturers refuse to comply with what's correct, and prefer instead to go with vanity sizing, which is about as useful as measuring my footsize with a crowbar.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:06 PM

26,867 posts, read 28,145,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

Now - that back size? Subtract it from the nipple measurement. Is the difference one inch? Then you're an A cup. Is it 2 inches? B cup. Three inches = D cup. Four = DD, or E in european sizing. Five = DDD, or F, in european sizing.

And so - a 36E is 36 inches around the back, right under the boobs, and 4 inches bigger around the nipple.
American sizing is really wacky. So this is still the right method, but you'd end up with a couple of cup sizes bigger:

Notice it looks the same until you get to DD. So if you are over a DD, make sure you know your UK vs US size. But honestly, very few US bra manufacturers even go past DD, so it is safe to assume someone saying they are an F or G or J is using UK sizes.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:24 PM

15,814 posts, read 4,931,904 times
I had been wearing a 38C for years but suspected that it wasn't quite the right size for me. So I finally got measured at Nordstrom. Guess what, my real size is 36DDD. I was shocked!

Old 07-31-2012, 11:11 PM

4,615 posts, read 6,115,918 times
A common scenario when you get measured for a bra is to have the band size go down and cup size go up.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:37 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,145,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
A common scenario when you get measured for a bra is to have the band size go down and cup size go up.
It's because a lot of people are conditioned to believe that 34 is the smallest band available. And thus, they go from there. I can get away with a VS 34DD, but I have to add seams to the band to make it smaller. The cup size is perfectly fine for the most part.

Just last night, had this discussion with some friends. I stressed the importance of proper band sizes for larger busts. One girl, with B-cups according to her, flat out stated that there was no way that any of us could have 30" bands because she fit perfectly in a 34B. Despite me explaining that smaller busts can sometimes get away with having an ill-fitting band because there's not as much to support, she insisted that the size I'd been fit for at a specialized bra boutique was wrong.

For larger busts, having a properly fitted band is key to a balance in support. In fact, the band should be taking more of the support over the shoulder straps. If somebody is getting their support almost purely from the shoulders, their band isn't doing its job.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:45 AM

5,478 posts, read 4,554,733 times
I know I don't belong here, but I have to say something.
The view from behind is pretty obvious few women wear things that actually fit correctly.
Bra and panty that are too small and wearing clothing that exaggerates it doesn't help .
My daughter is a big girl but she does pay attention to the view from behind ,or at least use to .
Speaking from a man's point of view , leave the ego at home when shopping for clothing, especially underware.
I am not a fashon designer, I simply spent time with my mom and designed shirts and pants she would sew for me.
Now I do my own sewing from time to time .
Another important issue is blood circulation and wearing things planly too tight does not help your bodys fluids move as they are designed to.
The body was designed to be naked, so putting heavy restraints are not healthy.
These are my observatons.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:52 PM

223 posts, read 229,809 times
I wear the right size because I've been professionally measured at Nordstrom.

My bras are ill fitting because I have scoliosis and one side of me (and consequently the boob) is higher than the other. No bra is going to compensate for that.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:00 PM

4,380 posts, read 3,428,147 times
Measured, yes. Ill fitting, also yes. I was measured twice and came up as a size 37 CC both times. I wear a 38C. 36 is too tight and D is too big. So I'm a little loose and overflowing. Too make it even more fun, I can't wear underwires. They just do not stay in place on me.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:14 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,441,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
Measured, yes. Ill fitting, also yes. I was measured twice and came up as a size 37 CC both times. I wear a 38C. 36 is too tight and D is too big. So I'm a little loose and overflowing. Too make it even more fun, I can't wear underwires. They just do not stay in place on me.
CC? Hm, what country are you in? I haven't heard of a manufacturer using that cup size. You may consider going down to the 36 since all bras eventually stretch out a bit and loosen up with wear. Keep in mind when you buy a bra it should be well fitted while on the loosest hook.

And have you tried different styles of underwire bras? Sometimes your breast shape or positioning can limit you to only feeling comfortable in balconette, plunge, full coverage, soft cup etc. Or seek out manufacturers that put extra padding around the wire so it's more comfortable. I'm a fan of BrasIHate, she does a lot of reviews and has links to other similar blogs.

Ultimately, the measurements don't really matter. It doesn't matter if you measure a 34E but feel better in a 36D or 38C, as long as you're happy with the way you feel and the way you look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty