U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 04:15 PM

4,219 posts, read 4,571,853 times

Advertisements

I think I need to have a professional fitting as well. I've never had one. Maybe I'll do that at VS this week. Hopefully it will help some of my back strain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 04:18 PM

26,894 posts, read 28,206,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
I think I need to have a professional fitting as well. I've never had one. Maybe I'll do that at VS this week. Hopefully it will help some of my back strain.
VS is the worst possible place to go. Try a larger department store.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:21 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,158,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
Go to a real bra boutique to get properly measured. VS does a terrible job.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:43 PM

4,380 posts, read 3,434,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
CC? Hm, what country are you in? I haven't heard of a manufacturer using that cup size. You may consider going down to the 36 since all bras eventually stretch out a bit and loosen up with wear. Keep in mind when you buy a bra it should be well fitted while on the loosest hook.

And have you tried different styles of underwire bras? Sometimes your breast shape or positioning can limit you to only feeling comfortable in balconette, plunge, full coverage, soft cup etc. Or seek out manufacturers that put extra padding around the wire so it's more comfortable. I'm a fan of BrasIHate, she does a lot of reviews and has links to other similar blogs.

Ultimately, the measurements don't really matter. It doesn't matter if you measure a 34E but feel better in a 36D or 38C, as long as you're happy with the way you feel and the way you look.
I'm in the U.S. And you're right, CC doesn't exist in a cup size, nor does 37. Basically, I'm a size that doesn't exist. I've tried the 36s and they are too uncomfortable. I can't go a full day in one. When I was fitted, I told the salesperson I couldn't wear underwires and she was bound and determined to prove me wrong. Not one of them would stay in or go back into place when she had me raise my arms. After trying on what seemed like every bra in the store (at least 10), she told me I was right. I try one every time I'm in a different store to see if I can find one but so far, no such luck.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:46 PM

4,219 posts, read 4,571,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
VS is the worst possible place to go. Try a larger department store.
Thanks. Can you recommended a good one? Does Macy's have bra fittings?

Old 08-09-2012, 06:35 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,450,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
I'm in the U.S. And you're right, CC doesn't exist in a cup size, nor does 37. Basically, I'm a size that doesn't exist. I've tried the 36s and they are too uncomfortable. I can't go a full day in one. When I was fitted, I told the salesperson I couldn't wear underwires and she was bound and determined to prove me wrong. Not one of them would stay in or go back into place when she had me raise my arms. After trying on what seemed like every bra in the store (at least 10), she told me I was right. I try one every time I'm in a different store to see if I can find one but so far, no such luck.
Er, but theoretically CC is just a D cup. The cup size is determined by the difference between your band size and bust so if you measure 37 inches around your band and 41 inches around your bust then that's a 38D or 36E. And I don't understand what you mean about the underwire. If anyone waves their arms around their head, they're going to need some adjusting. A properly tight band would prevent some of that movement.

But whatevs. I think you should give the 36's a chance. The first time I put on a 28 band I thought the fitter was crazy. I realize now that I just wasn't used to how bras are supposed to fit and now the bras that felt like they were way too tight at first feel totally normal.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:42 PM

4,251 posts, read 5,761,865 times
I was wearing a 36D and was sized at 34E. I hate the 34E. It's very uncomfortable. Sometimes I think the consumer knows best.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:49 PM

4,380 posts, read 3,434,989 times
Quote:
Er, but theoretically CC is just a D cup.
You would think. C cups are too small but D cups are too big. I found bras I like though that are comfy and cute. My hips, waist and chest have been three different sizes since high school, so I'm used to things not fitting properly. Needless to say, I don't go clothes shopping on a regular basis. When I went to buy my prom dress, my chest was a size 2, my waist a 4 and my hips a 6. Ah, to be those sizes again!

Old 08-10-2012, 12:18 PM

11,790 posts, read 12,661,709 times
What an odd size. Never heard of "CC" cup before. "EE" is fairly rare too. I have heard of "nearly B' and "nearly C" size, so I guess there's room for "nearly D".

I can totally see how CC does not equal D, because of UK sizing where sizes like FF<G, GG<H and so on.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:01 PM

10,182 posts, read 16,752,987 times
Quote:
Er, but theoretically CC is just a D cup. The cup size is determined by the difference between your band size and bust so if you measure 37 inches around your band and 41 inches around your bust then that's a 38D or 36E. And I don't understand what you mean about the underwire. If anyone waves their arms around their head, they're going to need some adjusting. A properly tight band would prevent some of that movement.

But whatevs. I think you should give the 36's a chance. The first time I put on a 28 band I thought the fitter was crazy. I realize now that I just wasn't used to how bras are supposed to fit and now the bras that felt like they were way too tight at first feel totally normal.
UnexpectedError, this stranger on the internet, has improved my life with the information and links she posts about bra fitting. I also thought I couldn't wear underwire, and that they just didn't make bras for me. She freed me from the horrible all-over-the-internet size charts that have you add 4 or 5 inches to your band measurement.

I'm now wearing underwire bras that actually fit and separate my big girls in the middle like they're supposed to. Public round of applause for UE for sharing this great information!

I do have to order off the internet. I don't find many/any in the right size in the stores, even though I buy brands that are in the stores.

Anyway, round of applause for this super poster on a mission!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty