U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-13-2012, 02:03 AM
 
Location: las vegas nevada
517 posts, read 716,770 times
Reputation: 146

Advertisements

I'm 29 much of the time... Which I was told to add 3 inches in America. The old fasion is to actually add 5 inches which would make me 32C/B or a 34 A. I don't fit 34 A's they can't even cover my nipples with covering the base... So I don't follow the method as my rib cageis usually 29 inches therefore I'm 34 in band size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-13-2012, 02:14 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,894 posts, read 28,206,166 times
Reputation: 26039
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitgirl11 View Post
I'm 29 much of the time... Which I was told to add 3 inches in America. The old fasion is to actually add 5 inches which would make me 32C/B or a 34 A. I don't fit 34 A's they can't even cover my nipples with covering the base... So I don't follow the method as my rib cageis usually 29 inches therefore I'm 34 in band size.
It is tricky. "New school" bands are really stretchy. So size XXX might stretchy 4 or 5 inches. A 34 band likely measures 28-30 inches un-stretched, but expands to fit. The +4 or +5 method is extremely inaccurate for those of us with larger chests. It isn't so as bad with the smaller cups. But it would be good to try on a 30D or so to see how it fits in your case.

**the bra I was wearing today measures 28ish un-stretched, and is labeled a 34 band. I am 33 around the ribcage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 02:27 AM
 
Location: las vegas nevada
517 posts, read 716,770 times
Reputation: 146
I'm smaller chested well when it comes to ribcage at least.
idk isn't 30D the same as 32 C? I am wearing a 348 pretty much everyday because 32C's are too exensive. It's ok my rib cage fits 32 band size perfectly. 34 is a squeez but I just pull the straps high and put it on the last hook and it works like a 34 maybe one dayill be able to buy a 30 or 32 and see which is best. 32 on the second hook is like an exact size made for me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 09:23 AM
 
3,517 posts, read 5,450,412 times
Reputation: 5566
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitgirl11 View Post
I'm smaller chested well when it comes to ribcage at least.
idk isn't 30D the same as 32 C? I am wearing a 348 pretty much everyday because 32C's are too exensive. It's ok my rib cage fits 32 band size perfectly. 34 is a squeez but I just pull the straps high and put it on the last hook and it works like a 34 maybe one dayill be able to buy a 30 or 32 and see which is best. 32 on the second hook is like an exact size made for me...
So I'm feeling like a bit of a creeper, but in your pictures your boobs look way bigger than a 32C or 30D. Maybe it's just the angle of the photos, but I'm a 28DD/E and my chest looks smaller than yours. If you've never been properly fitted, it can often be hard to know what constitutes a good fit. A good fitter will not only get you in a bra that properly contains all of your breast tissue, but she'll be able to point out the clues that indicate a proper fit.

Other people have suggested Nordstrom's to get fitted. I've never been in one but haven't had luck in any big department stores like that, I'm just lucky that a specialty bra boutique opened up down the street from me. Look for any store that carries a band size smaller than a 32. Generally if they stock that sort of size, they'll know about proper fitting.

And to get an idea for yourself, put on your best fitting non-padded, non-pushup bra and measure around the fullest part of your bust. You've already measured your ribcage at 29, so your band size will be 28 or 30 and your cup size will be determined by the difference between your band size and bust measurement. if you measure 31" around your bust, you're a 30A, 32" is a 30B, 33" is a 30C etc.

Oh, and whenever you buy a bra, it should be snugly fitted on the loosest hook. All bras stretch with wash and wear, the reason there are different hooks is so it stays fitted even as the band stretches. If your bra fits best on the tightest hook, it's going to be the wrong size after just a few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 09:36 AM
 
Location: Birmingham
11,790 posts, read 12,661,709 times
Reputation: 10007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Actually, Lane Bryant for years used the actual measurement as the band size and not the old fashioned plus 4 or 5 inches measurement. I was confident enough to buy my bras via catalog because I knew the size.... and the last time -- they changed. My 42's measured 38 inches...

So I went in and asked about it and was told -- no they hadn't changed -- the actual size was the actual size....
I'm not sure I quite follow you. I'm not saying the bras themselves are wrong, but rather the salespeople. Despite what they may offer online, the actual stores tend to just stay within a certain comfort zone of inventory and they tell their people to "force" people into buying them. Most women believe that anything above D or DD is fat/porn star so the stores don't carry it. Which is why it is easier for them to "+4" you into a bigger band/smaller cup. The acutal bras themselves are "true" they just typically don't carry them in smaller band and bigger cup sizes because they'd most likely never sell. LB stops at H though, and their H is like an American I, I think, but the stores around us usually don't carry anything like that in a 36/38. So all the plus sized ladies there always give my wife dubious/sneering/comical looks whenever she says she has bras ranging from H to J (until they look at the tag of whatever she has on) and then still they try to get her to look at a 44 or something goofy because that's all they have in stock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Richardson, TX
10,182 posts, read 16,752,987 times
Reputation: 24820
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
You should try Elomi bras. They go from about 34-44 bands and run just about true to size.

Available at all of the local Nordstrom's (and Nordstrom Rack). And also, Fantasie fits well too. You probably need to go down 1-2 inches in the band because they are stretchy. I think they go from 32-40ish.
Elomi Lingerie
Fantasie Lingerie
Jade, are you saying Elomi bands are stretchy, or Fantasie, or both?

I'm finding my 36 Fantasie bras to fit true to band size.

Looks like we have a lot of people on diets in this thread, and I'm one of them! Doubt I'll ever be smaller than a 34 though, I am large framed and wore a 34 in high school. Of course, now that I know what I know about proper bra size measuring, maybe I was wearing the wrong band/cup size!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 09:55 AM
 
567 posts, read 794,298 times
Reputation: 1237
So who invented these horrible contraptions anyway? I have NEVER found a comfortable bra except on that is overly worn out. If I could have all the money back I have spend on bras, I could supplement my retirement quite well. It must have been a man that develped this ..a misogynist's tool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 09:57 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,894 posts, read 28,206,166 times
Reputation: 26039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I'm not sure I quite follow you. I'm not saying the bras themselves are wrong, but rather the salespeople. Despite what they may offer online, the actual stores tend to just stay within a certain comfort zone of inventory and they tell their people to "force" people into buying them. Most women believe that anything above D or DD is fat/porn star so the stores don't carry it. Which is why it is easier for them to "+4" you into a bigger band/smaller cup. The acutal bras themselves are "true" they just typically don't carry them in smaller band and bigger cup sizes because they'd most likely never sell. LB stops at H though, and their H is like an American I, I think, but the stores around us usually don't carry anything like that in a 36/38. So all the plus sized ladies there always give my wife dubious/sneering/comical looks whenever she says she has bras ranging from H to J (until they look at the tag of whatever she has on) and then still they try to get her to look at a 44 or something goofy because that's all they have in stock.
Yup, this is true. Lane Bryant never carried my tru bra size. They didn't go up enough in the cups in the smaller bands, I am similar in size to your wife.

There are 2 classes of "bigger bras"
Full Bust: this means bigger cups (above DDish),
Full Figured: this means "bigger bands" generally above 38ish

Most stores ignore the full bust people, or don't have "full bust" sizes in smaller bands. "Plus sized" stores tend to cover full figured sizes, but skip the larger cups.

The people with the hardest time with fit are the smaller band/bigger cup sizes. Stores like Victoria's Secret will encourage you to go up in the band until the cup fits. Many stores (and brands) don't carry band sizes below 32, although this isn't necessarily an outlier size.

Not all bigger women need bigger bands and not all smaller women need smaller bands. This is a function of body shape mostly. If you are a pear, the odds are high you need a smaller band. Same with a typical hourglass. If you are an apple or swimmer build you probably need a bigger band.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,894 posts, read 28,206,166 times
Reputation: 26039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Jade, are you saying Elomi bands are stretchy, or Fantasie, or both?

I'm finding my 36 Fantasie bras to fit true to band size.
Freya = super stretchy. Fantasie bands aren't super stretchy, but seem to stretch out fast. I always go down a band in those. Elomi is kinda stretchy but they have lots of hooks, so those tend to fit more sizes, and feel like the stretch out faster, but fit OK because of all of the hooks.

You should check out Elomi, they might fit you well.

Quote:
Looks like we have a lot of people on diets in this thread, and I'm one of them! Doubt I'll ever be smaller than a 34 though, I am large framed and wore a 34 in high school. Of course, now that I know what I know about proper bra size measuring, maybe I was wearing the wrong band/cup size!!
I am one of them. If you would have told me awhile ago about my bra size being a 34 I would have thought you were crazy, because I was in a 36 in high school. But now I realize I was WAAAY off in size/cup then and my bras fit horribly then. I am crossing my fingers about where I'll be when I get to my goal, but the odds are really high it will be a 28/30. I was hoping to stay around 32, but that isn't looking too probable. I am hoping I will at least drop a cup or 3, but this is also not looking too probable either. The cups have been increasing and the band shrinking with the past few weigh ins.

So who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,894 posts, read 28,206,166 times
Reputation: 26039
Oh so timely tutorial on proper bra fit:
Boosaurus!: How to (Correctly) Wear a Bra
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top