Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 08:30 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,102 times

Advertisements

Really, I should probably be in a 26F but that size isn't commercially available so I'm in a 28E. I've read there are some great polish manufacturers whose bras either run tight or will custom make a 26 band for a very reasonable price...but you have to navigate the polish site, their sizing system, pay and wait on shipping and then cross your fingers that the fit is right.

I just wish the lingerie industry would abandon this ridiculous measuring method with adding inches and wrapping under the armpits and over the breasts blah blah. All companies ought to adopt band size being equal to measurement under breasts and cup size is difference between that and bust measurement. Easy, then you just have to worry about differences in manufacturing styles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 01:35 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
What are those?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Schmata is Yiddish for raggy clothing... A friend and I used to joke about our schmutzy schmatas.... Oy and we were two shiksas! (dirty clothing -- Gentile women)

Old 07-27-2012, 05:40 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
What are those?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Schmata is a yiddish term meaning, dishrag or ugly unflattering shirt/dress.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:44 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post
I probably need to get fitted as I've never had a comfy bra.

My straps fall off my shoulders, I have side-boob, and you can see where the top edges of my bra are raised when I wear a fitted shirt.

Any idea where you can get fitted at a mall that's actually trained and honest?
Nordstrom's and Neiman Marcus both have professionally trained fitters in their lingerie departments. You'd just need to go to an upscale mall, and put all modesty aside while in the dressing room. The fitters are not just professionally trained, but they are also professional in demeanor - like a doctor giving you an exam, you can trust that your fitter will be putting her hands on your boobs only because it's necessary to get you the right bra. (She'll even show you the most efficient way of putting the thing on - which is to bend forward and let your boobs drop down into the cups, and THEN stand and pull the band around the back and clasp it.)

Old 07-27-2012, 06:51 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,303,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peerage View Post
curious as to why you say not VS?
VS is horrible at fitting bras especially if you have a smaller band size/larger cup. Some women in this thread are odd sizes like a 34H, which VS doesn't carry, but will try to stuff you into an ill fitting 38D or something to make a sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
VS has very limited sizes. Many women don't fit into them at all. For example, even if I kept increasing the band size, there isn't a cup big enough to fit me. VS's fit philosophy is to fit people into a size they carry, even if the bra doesn't fit well at all, and you have spillage on the sides, top or bottom. If you look at a VS catalog, none of the models are wearing properly fitting bras.
What she said.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:53 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,303,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post

Any idea where you can get fitted at a mall that's actually trained and honest?
Nordstrom's.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:17 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
I have an idea of what size I am, but it's mostly trial and error when at stores because of sizing/manufacturing inconsistencies.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:25 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,682,080 times
is this a trick question?

Old 07-27-2012, 11:10 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
is this a trick question?
If you are wearing the right sized bra (especially if you are bustier) you can look 20 pounds thinner, make your waist look smaller, etc.

I spent the first 15 or so years of bra wearing in the wrong size, and not knowing what proper fit looked like. My mom wears about a 36B. I have one aunt that is well endowed, but she only wears soft cup minimizers and is 20 years older than I am, so she isn't exactly looking for the same thing in a bra I would be.

My bras all had limited support. I had to adjust my bra multiple times per day because I was spilling out. Eventually I "sized out" of all of the sizes available in stores, and I thought I needed special order a 42DD or something in order to get the right fit. But that was an wrong size anyway. I went to a lingerie shop, hoping to get fitted and when I told the clerk what size I was wearing, she said "No Way! You do not have a back that broad!" It turns out I needed a 36G. 6 inches smaller in the band. You can imagine the difference that would make. Once I switched into the right size, I didn't have issues with perkiness, or adjusting my bra all day, and my clothing fit better. It was like a revelation.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:11 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Nordstrom's and Neiman Marcus both have professionally trained fitters in their lingerie departments. You'd just need to go to an upscale mall, and put all modesty aside while in the dressing room. The fitters are not just professionally trained, but they are also professional in demeanor - like a doctor giving you an exam, you can trust that your fitter will be putting her hands on your boobs only because it's necessary to get you the right bra. (She'll even show you the most efficient way of putting the thing on - which is to bend forward and let your boobs drop down into the cups, and THEN stand and pull the band around the back and clasp it.)
Agree on Nordstroms. Haven't tried Neimans, but my sister had good results. Nordies has more "cheaper" bra. Especially if you are an odd size. I.E. for me, it is at least possible to find a bra in the $50-70 range. Neiman's low-end for my size is more like $80-100.

If you fit into "standard" sizes, you can definitely find options in the $30-50 range. And lucky for me, Nordstroms does clearance bras all the time, so I can find a few options in the $30s most of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty