U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 11:12 AM

308 posts, read 729,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
So over the years, I have learned some rules and guidelines about our appearance, that I thought I'd share.
  1. Women only look nice/dress up/wear makeup to become more attractive to men.
  2. If women do not "look nice" they should step up their game in order to conform to the overall standards of beauty.
  3. Only women who wear "normal" sizes deserve to have well-fitting or trendy clothing, not for people who have curves in the "wrong" places.
  4. Everyone who is "healthy" should fit into certain clothing sizes.
  5. Women who have curves in the "right" places, only accentuate them to pursue men.
  6. Women who complain about "curvy" women are jealous.
  7. Women who complain about "thin" women are jealous.
  8. If you are not "attractive," you should put more time and effort into remedying this via exercise, diet, makeup, skin care, or cosmetic surgery.
  9. If you do not have a socially acceptable "ideal" body, you should stay home until you do.
  10. If you do not put a large portion of your energy in your appearance, you are lazy and incapable.
  11. If you spend time on your appearance you are shallow and conceited.
  12. If you don't spend enough time on your appearance, you are limiting your professional success.
  13. If you are female, success only matters in the context of your perceived attractiveness.
  14. Men do not care about their appearance.
  15. Men who care about their appearance are gay or un-masculine.
  16. Only women need to worry about most of the rules about appearance.
Am I missing any?
I find people to be very bipolar when it comes to looks. some people look great, but all they freaking do is talk about working out, and they are absolutely obsessed with their looks. some people look like pigs, and they cannot care less about their physical appearance because apparently it is not important and/or shallow. it is also wrong.

the truth is somewhere in between. people really SHOULD make all efforts to push themselves in terms of physical beauty (if anything, work out for health benefits!), but shouldn't take it and themselves too seriously. there is nothing more annoying than people (especially men!!!) talking about their muscles and other body parts. everything is good in moderation.

people who claim that physical appearance is everything are liars. people who claim that physical appearance is insignificant are liars too.
and there is always a fan club for anything in between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 01:29 PM

31,152 posts, read 57,274,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzrOrange View Post
people who claim that physical appearance is insignificant are liars too.
Of course it's not insignificant; no one is saying it isn't. However, one's mileage may vary when it comes to physical appearance, and that mileage may change drastically when discovering the brain and personality behind the appearance.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:54 PM

3,404 posts, read 7,250,918 times
28. Extensive plastic surgery is not a signal of deeper insecurities and/or issues that could be worked out in therapy.

29. People that question extensive plastic surgery are jealous or can't afford it

30. Curvy= fat

31. Curvy= size 2/4 with no hips or ass and a huge rack

32. Victorias Secret is a novelty bra shop

Old 08-01-2012, 11:11 PM

3,404 posts, read 7,250,918 times
I like this thread. Bump.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:05 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,940,338 times
33. Women over the age of 35 should just give up or go under the knife.
34. Men over the age of 35 are just fine because, we all know men do not age badly.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:47 PM

223 posts, read 229,753 times
Women over the age of 35 can't possibly look younger than age 35, no freakin' way they can look late 20's. If they think so, then they are delusional, and if other people are telling them so, then they are all "little white" liars or need eye correction.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:37 PM

26,865 posts, read 28,137,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudegubmintworker View Post
Women over the age of 35 can't possibly look younger than age 35, no freakin' way they can look late 20's. If they think so, then they are delusional, and if other people are telling them so, then they are all "little white" liars or need eye correction.
hehehe! I know. (as a 34 year old who regularly gets pegged at 25ish)

Old 08-09-2012, 02:39 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,440,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudegubmintworker View Post
Can't say I've ever heard anyone try and refute the word of a 35 year old who claims to look younger.

Though I have noticed, with rare exception, every over 35 year old does claim to look like they're fresh out of high school. They're also healthier and attracting more male attention than any 20 year old.

So either every woman on this board is a genetic superstar or there really are some "little white" liars out there. Or maybe people just really suck at guessing ages.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:07 AM

1,603 posts, read 2,680,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Can't say I've ever heard anyone try and refute the word of a 35 year old who claims to look younger.

Though I have noticed, with rare exception, every over 35 year old does claim to look like they're fresh out of high school. They're also healthier and attracting more male attention than any 20 year old.

So either every woman on this board is a genetic superstar or there really are some "little white" liars out there. Or maybe people just really suck at guessing ages.
First off - don't lump us all in that group. I'm 40 something. I assume I look like a 40something. Although I don't know what that is anymore, I don't think there is any such thing as typical. I just want to be a healthy, fit and active 40-something. I'm not trying to compete with 20 year olds for BOYS half my age. I can still turn a head or two when I walk into a room, but I don't know if that comes from my looks or if it comes from knowing exactly who I am and being really capable and confident. I happen to know one man who finds that extremely attractive

Old 08-14-2012, 12:11 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,940,338 times
I assume I look 40 also, I just want to look good for my age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty