U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-29-2012, 01:53 AM

17,336 posts, read 12,350,376 times

Advertisements

Out of necessity, I need to buy more expensive bras (difficult size).

There are definitely quality differences across price points.

1. cheaper bras tend to have straps that are less adjustable
2. more expensive bras tend to use metal instead of plastic for the binding
3. All bras stretch out, some way more than others
4. Strap construction can make a huge difference in how long a bra lasts
5. The bras I have had break, the underwire pops out -- this is a construction problem

All bras will last longer if you keep them out of the dryer and wash in a lingerie bag. Washing by hand is the best option.

In my book, it is worth it to get slightly more expensive bras. The most I have spent is about $100. Sadly, that bra didn't really fit well, but lastd a while.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 08:06 AM

948 posts, read 857,338 times
Price is not always indicative of quality as we all know Victoria's secret - poor quality, cheaply made lingerie sold at over-inflated prices.

The best quality bras should have firm elastic and have very supportive cups. You should buy the best quality you can afford but keep in mind that bras should be replaced after every 6 months of use because the elastic breaks down from wear and washing. I don't shop VS and find while LA Perla is fine quality it's not very cost effective for most. Olga manufactures some wonderful bras at a more reasonable price point.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:12 AM

1,612 posts, read 2,265,060 times
As a big-breasted woman, 36DD, I cannot wear Victoria Secret bras. I think they're more for show, and fairly poor quality .... Additionally, they don't hold the girls up as well as others, such as Lilyette or Bali. I would rather pay more.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:26 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,875,187 times
I am also large breasted and cannot buy my bras at Victoria's secret. I need more support.

I have been wearing Playtex 18 hour bras (not the comfort strap or special cups, just the regular lace wirefree ones with the non-stretch straps) since I was 13 and became a D. I am now a DD. I know other women who wear "pretty bras" and are D and DDs. I have been asked several times by women (never men ) over the years what kind of bra I wear - because their daughter, sister, friend, themselves, etc need something that holds them up and still - and doesn't produce mini muffin tops. I wait for JMS sales online and buy 2 to 3 new ones every 6 months. I wash them in the machine in a bag, on cold, delicate cycle and NEVER use fabric softener or the dryer.

They cost me about $15-20 each. I also wear sleep/comfort bras around the house and to bed at night. A good one is Comfort Choice, and those cost me about $20-25 each.

I've tried pretty, underwire sets with matching panties, but have found that they're only good if I'm wearing them to be alone with my husband, not leaving the house and not doing any activity more strenuous than eating dinner. Considering the cost, the underwire and the fact that dh would prefer I not wear one at all when we're alone, it's not worth it.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:33 AM

2,106 posts, read 1,891,784 times
I've gotten some good bras at Target -- right now, my two favorites came from there, but that style has been discontinued, unfortunately. The Gilligan & O'Malley line, though, doesn't work for me; the cups are cut very oddly and my breasts end up looking squared off under clothes. I've found Olga bras to be well constructed, although I always have to move up one cup size for proper fit. Calvin Klein, Warner's, Bali, Maidenform often have styles that work well on my figure but not always; it's just a matter of trying it on and seeing how it does. I've bought VS in the past and find the bras stretch out and break down much faster than the brands above.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:36 AM

3,304 posts, read 3,777,108 times
So I guess Macy's or JCpenny is worth a try

Old 07-29-2012, 10:51 AM

18,315 posts, read 15,783,903 times
I also tend to buy several at a time so I can have more in the rotation...bras hold up longer when you're swapping them out and not constantly stressing the elastic through heavy wear and frequent washing.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:09 AM

659 posts, read 258,074 times
When I was a teen my mom used to always buy me Maidenform. Then when I moved out on my own she would send me care packages and sometimes she would send me more bras Maidenform and the matching panties. lol Honestly, they lasted a long time and I think I still have some in my drawer. I did look at some a couple years back and they looked kind of basic so I passed them buy. They used to make much cuter bras when I was a teen.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:03 PM

18,868 posts, read 16,117,834 times
I don't need to wear the fancy bras...VS is way over priced. I shop for bras at TJ Maxx. I also bought those Genie bras...they are fine for work.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:37 PM

17,336 posts, read 12,350,376 times
One question to ask yourself about the more expensive bra, is how do you feel in it (really any bra). Not long ago, I helped a friend get prepped for her wedding, she is about a 32B, so pretty small chested. She wanted something that made her feel sexy and did not have padding. That is something very tricky to find for under about a C cup. She ended up getting a Wacoal bra and one from Agent Provacatuer on clearance.

This was the first time she purchased an expensive bra. But she felt completely different while wearing it. She felt sexy, and her husband was happy. Her other bras were well worn inexpensive ones and basic t-shirt bras.

I find the bras from Lilyette, Maidenform etc are very basic looking. I feel more confident when I am wearing a pretty bra, so it is worth the extra $$ to me. And it is definitely possible to find a pretty all day bra. That actually describes most of the ones in my collection.

Also, a t-shirt bra isn't the only choice that is "invisible" under your clothing. I rarely wear them, and don't have problems with my bras being visible. Even in patterns and lace.

Also, if you are under a C cup, try Gap bras. I always had good experiences with them when I tried to stuff myself into them, before I knew my true size. I wasn't nice to them at all, and they held up. Nice styles for smaller busted women. They only have a few styles in D and DD.....so I wouldn't recommend them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty