Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 07:01 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times

Advertisements

Shopping for clothing is far more difficult than:
A. finding the perfect man
B. passing calculus

I am now in the process of buying a new swimsuit for summer. I decided that for the first time, I am going to have a custom suit made. I am a very busty woman, average weight but short, with stubborn saddlebags that I've had all my adult life despite doing endless rounds of cardio, weight training, and eating a consistently clean diet. Thus, swimsuits in the store never fit correctly, as I take a much larger top than bottoms.

I'd like to know about fellow CD posters' swimsuit shopping experiences. Have any of you had a custom suit made? How have you determined what style of suit flatters you most? Can you find the perfect swimsuit in the store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 09:23 AM

2,319 posts, read 3,050,958 times
There are many swimsuits that are now sold as separates; thus, you can purchase a top and bottom that will fit. If you need a little tailoring on what you buy that works also. That's how I'd do it.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:02 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
I was also going to suggest trying the separates.

You can even mix and match separates from different stores, if you find the perfect top at one place and the perfect bottom at another.

I don't have good luck finding swimsuits, I wish the bras in them were better.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:52 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
I got a bra sized suit from bravissimo! The top is supportive. Yay! My last was a bra sized one piece. This one is a tankini. I recommend that. (I am like a 34h). I'm technically a busty pear and take a size bigger at the bottom. And narrower at the top so conventional suits fit terrible.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:01 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,388,075 times
Yes, and so can you. I am a busty,yet slightly pear shaped woman. I generally find separates in black and often they don't "match". As long as they are similar material and color (black), no one notices.

I find halter style bikini tops that are full coverage work. Then the bottoms must be moderate to full coverage with thick tie sides. The ties hang down a bit and help camouflage my thighs. A ruffle or flounce on the bottom can work too.

My mom is an apple shape with a smallish bust. (Great legs) She wears a one piece that has molded cups in the bust, a deep v made by material that crosses over, and stomach minimizers.

Find your feature that is your best and show it off.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:12 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
My focus has always been comfort for lap swimming. I don't sunbathe, so the fashion aspect of it is lost on me. I have good luck with TYR.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:19 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,252,587 times
lands end has a lot of mix/match top and bottom swimsuits, and a good return policy if things don't work out even after worn

Old 05-02-2014, 09:21 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
lands end has a lot of mix/match top and bottom swimsuits, and a good return policy if things don't work out even after worn
Depends on how busty you are. Those "d cup" suits aren't really good for people with more than a DD cup, particularly if you are of the smaller band, larger cup contingent. They don't offer much support.

OP, if you are over a DD. Or if your are let's say under about a size 10 US and wearing over a 36D, you should get a bra sized swimsuit. And also get measured too somewhere that has a larger size selection than Victoria's Secret. The odds are pretty high your bra size is too big in the band and too small in the cup. You might find a size of about 30G fits a lot better (and looks better).

Old 05-02-2014, 02:20 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,083,908 times
I feel for you all but Im done with swim suits all together since we really don't have much of a summer season so no need to purchase a suit and quite frankly don't even care for them . I would love to go swimming but really with the price of swimsuits I usually pass on those . I wish you luck because I remember how dreadful I felt trying those things on even as skinny as I am ...ugh city .

Old 05-03-2014, 06:07 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Depends on how busty you are. Those "d cup" suits aren't really good for people with more than a DD cup, particularly if you are of the smaller band, larger cup contingent. They don't offer much support.

OP, if you are over a DD. Or if your are let's say under about a size 10 US and wearing over a 36D, you should get a bra sized swimsuit. And also get measured too somewhere that has a larger size selection than Victoria's Secret. The odds are pretty high your bra size is too big in the band and too small in the cup. You might find a size of about 30G fits a lot better (and looks better).
I wear a 36-38 DD, but only wear a size 8 pants. Thus, the tops need to be much larger than the bottoms. I just went on Etsy and ordered a custom swimsuit in my exact size, style, and color I preferred for only $100! The awesome thing about it is, not only will it fit perfectly, it has a little ruched skirt to hide the saddlebags plus the underwire bra top that is a must for ladies who are top heavy like myself. Hopefully I can get years of wear out of this suit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty