U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 03:43 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,441,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFemme86 View Post
Just a tip-- Aveda shampoos work great for Keratin treated hair. Even better, if you want an inexpensive option, Trader Joe's shampoos are the way to go! They smell really good too!
Well perfect because it's an Aveda salon and I'm currently using Trader Joe's eucalyptus mint shampoo. I've tried to avoid sulfate shampoos a la the curly girl method, but I've never noticed any huge difference so it's time the curls got put in their place for a little while.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 09:56 AM

7,736 posts, read 13,964,660 times
Well? Did you do it? if so, which one?

I'm currently sitting at the salon having the BKT done. I wanted the digital perm, but they can't do it on my previously JHS hair.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:58 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,441,583 times
Yes, I did it, I've just felt too lazy to put together before and after pics so I haven't posted. But I guess I can go ahead and share my experience. I went with the brazilian blowout since the salon said the keratin treatment would really straighten it out and I was afraid my baby fine hair would fall flat.

The stylist washed my hair, applied the treatment to my wet hair, and then told me to keep my eyes shut while he blow dried it. I realized why I had to keep my eyes shut as hair flew in my face and, though the stuff didn't smell bad or terribly strong, the fumes coming off it burned my nose. Once, dry, he ran the straightener over it, then washed it again with something that he left in and had me sit for fifteen minutes or so before washing my hair one last time and giving me a little trim and style.

They told me I could wash my hair that day, but I was still paranoid about weakening the formula, so I waited a couple days. My hair felt the way it does after any professional salon trip, soft and smooth. After washing it I let it air dry and ended up with what I would call beachy waves; less curly cue than usual but not at all straight. I was going to let it go at that but had to run out before it was dry so I grabbed my blowdryer. That revealed the real magic of the blowout, since after just a couple minutes my hair was straight and smooth like I had used a flat iron on it. And even after exposing my hair to major humidity, a little rain, and ponytail elastics, when I let it down and brush it out it looks like I just straightened it.

Overall, satisfied. There's still some frizz but not nearly as much and it's so soft, I can't stop touching it. However, even with my discounted blowout, shampoo, and conditioner, with the tip I paid nearly $200 which is too high a ticket for me, I can't imagine paying for the full price treatment except maybe for a very special occasion like my wedding day. I'll enjoy my blowout while it lasts, but if I get the urge for another I will either do a home treatment or wait for the price to come way down.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:50 AM

3,942 posts, read 3,872,959 times
I'd be careful with Brazillian blowouts. Even if they claim to not have formadyehyde products, the chemicals when heated and activated becomes formadyehyde.

My uncle was an art director and designer for one of the major Brazillian blowout companies, and resigned his position due to health reasons on top of taking an ethical stance with regards to this issue.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,042 times
I'm thinking of doing the Brazilian Blowout. but, I wanted to know can I color my hair the day before?

Old 09-28-2013, 10:25 PM

5,901 posts, read 7,947,230 times
I did the brazilian blowout 3 times, the 3 with groupon, i have curly, long hair, that can get frizzy

overall the results were good, my hair didnt look completely straight but almost, like more natural, mostly straight with some nice wavy thing in the bottom, but the best thing is that after doing it, if i use the iron, it straights very easily. Last treatment was past november, almost a year ago. I decided not to do it anymore cause my hair fall down a lot after i started doing it, and i think it might be because of it. But im having doubts now, cause i still wear the flat iron at least twice a weak and thats bad for my hair too, maybe i just should go and do other treatment, i always do it in this time of the year cause summer is approaching here and using flat iron in the heat of the summer is a big no for me, its more comfortable to have it straight. Im still doubting wether i should do it or just keep straightening it. I love my hair and i have it very long and take great care of it, maybe i should leave it natural but this straightening thing is so damn tempting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty