U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2012, 01:30 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,440,470 times

Advertisements

I saw a groupon today for a $99 keratin or brazilian blowout and am considering purchasing it but I'd like to hear some personal experiences first.

My hair is curly and frizzy but extremely fine and breaks easily. I straighten it from time to time but mostly just let it go curly and pull it back. I don't dislike the curls, but the frizz is killing me and it seems that any product I use weighs my hair down and has no effect on the frizz.

So. Questions. How much damage does it do to your hair? As your hair grows out, do you end up with a curly scalp while the rest is straight? Are you still able to curl, style, tease etc, or will it stay stubbornly straight (my hair needs to be able to be styled for modeling gigs)?

Does anyone have experience or suggestions with either of these treatments?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 02:50 PM

509 posts, read 1,574,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I saw a groupon today for a $99 keratin or brazilian blowout and am considering purchasing it but I'd like to hear some personal experiences first.

My hair is curly and frizzy but extremely fine and breaks easily. I straighten it from time to time but mostly just let it go curly and pull it back. I don't dislike the curls, but the frizz is killing me and it seems that any product I use weighs my hair down and has no effect on the frizz.

So. Questions. How much damage does it do to your hair? As your hair grows out, do you end up with a curly scalp while the rest is straight? Are you still able to curl, style, tease etc, or will it stay stubbornly straight (my hair needs to be able to be styled for modeling gigs)?

Does anyone have experience or suggestions with either of these treatments?
I don't have curly hair, so can't speak to some of your points directly. I've done keratin twice now with great results. My hair is extremely healthy, always has been, and it added an incredible shine. My hair is only wavy with a bit of frizz, but to be honest, I didn't notice a huge difference when it started growing out. BUT one thing I have noticed is that since I've started doing the keratin treatment, my hair grows like weeds. It's nuts.

Your hair won't be dead straight. It won't even be straight just from washing and letting it air dry. You will still need to either blow dry or flat iron straight. It's more a 'relaxer' for all types of hair vs. a straightener. It will make life a hell of a lot easier, and even just air dryed, you will see a significant reduction in frizz. I still recommend it, but I know many get disappointed when it's not dead straight right our of the shower. It won't be.

Oh... and $99 is a great price. The cheapest I've seen is $150. What salon is it? In NY? If so, I may take advantage of that myself!

I know nothing about the brazilian blowout, sorry.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFemme86 View Post
I don't have curly hair, so can't speak to some of your points directly. I've done keratin twice now with great results. My hair is extremely healthy, always has been, and it added an incredible shine. My hair is only wavy with a bit of frizz, but to be honest, I didn't notice a huge difference when it started growing out. BUT one thing I have noticed is that since I've started doing the keratin treatment, my hair grows like weeds. It's nuts.

Your hair won't be dead straight. It won't even be straight just from washing and letting it air dry. You will still need to either blow dry or flat iron straight. It's more a 'relaxer' for all types of hair vs. a straightener. It will make life a hell of a lot easier, and even just air dryed, you will see a significant reduction in frizz. I still recommend it, but I know many get disappointed when it's not dead straight right our of the shower. It won't be.

Oh... and $99 is a great price. The cheapest I've seen is $150. What salon is it? In NY? If so, I may take advantage of that myself!

I know nothing about the brazilian blowout, sorry.
Thank you! I'm just worried this might not be the best treatment for my hair type, but then I hear such wonderful things from people who have had it.

And I'm afraid you'll have to take a trip down to Alabama to get that $99 deal.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:58 PM

14,294 posts, read 20,539,012 times
I have curly hair and loved it. It made my hair look and feel healthier than it has been in years!! If you color your hair, make sure you do that before you do the treatment!

Old 07-31-2012, 06:26 PM

3,876 posts, read 4,571,964 times
My hair is very curly with only a small amount of kink but a lot of frizz. I've had it done with the original trademarked Brazilian Blowout twice (fabulous! shiny even with air drying! but wouldn't keep a spiral curl after treatment), have done it once with the new formula Brazilian Blowout (had to blow it dry or else frizz worse than no product on my hair, but once the heat got it, very nice shiny results that didn't frizz up) and I've done it 3 times with the Coppola keratin treatment that I bought online and applied myself (not as shiny, not as straight, but easier to style and looked fine air drying with a significant reduction in frizz). Next time I do it, I'm going back to the salon for the original BB formula. You can get it done so that your hair retains more curl -- the stylist runs the flat iron over each section 6-14 times -- the higher the number of repetitions, the straighter your hair will be and the harder it will be for it to take a curl. I figured out that I like combo of the shine and the wave I get in my hair from about 8-9 passes with the flat iron. I got about 4 months out of the first B B treatment, almost 6 with the second (thru the winter, so less frizz to alert me it was wearing off), and about 4-6 months with the Coppola treatments.

It didn't seem to hurt my hair, except the very ends from the flat ironing, that got trimmed off anyway. The drying time and the time with the round brush significantly decreased and so that actually kept my hair healthier because I wasn't stretching & pulling a round brush thru it every other day

The product is a coating on the hair shaft, so it's wearing off as your hair is growing out, so it's not very noticeable at all in that respect. You must use a sulfate-free shampoo & conditioner, as the salts in the sulfate break the bonding of the keratin protein and it washes out quickly after that. If you exercise often and vigorously and your scalp sweats a lot, your body salts will also break down the coating, but not as quickly as the sulfate-containing shampoos will, but you will have to have the treatment done more often to keep the look.

There is also a brazilian blow dry that uses a smaller amount of product and a lot less flat ironing that costs about half as much as a full treatment and lasts in the 6-week/2-month range.

If your hair is very thin, you may not be as happy with the results because the hair looks flatter and it can emphasize that your hair is very fine and thin.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Thank you! I'm just worried this might not be the best treatment for my hair type, but then I hear such wonderful things from people who have had it.

And I'm afraid you'll have to take a trip down to Alabama to get that $99 deal.
Oh boo ... why'd I think you were in NY? Am I mixing up posters? I guess I should have known $99 was too good to be true!

Good luck; let us know what you choose! Based on the above poster, I'm intrigued by BB as well.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:32 AM

Well after more googling and speaking to the salon, I've decided to go for it. I think I'll get the Brazilian Blowout and not the Keratin, since the woman I spoke with said the keratin is for those who really want straight straight hair, by I asked if I could wait and get their opinion in person.

I'm just worried because I read some comments online that said the original BB formula, the one this salon uses, doesn't hold way on fine hair at all. But at $99, I consider this a worthy experiment, particularly since I spend next to nothing on my hair. And they are giving me 20% off the shampoos and such that I'll need for after care.

Friday is the day, be prepared for before/after pictures!

Old 08-01-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Well after more googling and speaking to the salon, I've decided to go for it. I think I'll get the Brazilian Blowout and not the Keratin, since the woman I spoke with said the keratin is for those who really want straight straight hair, by I asked if I could wait and get their opinion in person.

I'm just worried because I read some comments online that said the original BB formula, the one this salon uses, doesn't hold way on fine hair at all. But at $99, I consider this a worthy experiment, particularly since I spend next to nothing on my hair. And they are giving me 20% off the shampoos and such that I'll need for after care.

Friday is the day, be prepared for before/after pictures!
Just a tip-- Aveda shampoos work great for Keratin treated hair. Even better, if you want an inexpensive option, Trader Joe's shampoos are the way to go! They smell really good too!

Old 08-01-2012, 12:50 PM

7,736 posts, read 13,962,412 times
I've done it all: JHS/Thermal Reconditioning, Brazilian Blowout (original) and Keratin/BKT.

I haven't done the Brazilian Blowout in a couple of years, but continue to do JHS and/or BKT.

The BB doesn't "straighten" your hair per se, but it tames the frizz. It washes out gradually if you don't use sulfate and sodium free shampoos (same with the keratin treatments.) I felt like the BB didn't last as long as the BKT. Maybe 8-10 weeks at most. I don't recall experiencing breakage, but the product burned the heck out of my scalp and killed my eyes!!! That's some potent stuff! (I never experienced that with other processes/treatments.)

I now do the BKT and like BB, it washes out gradually. (I do the process where you can wash your hair immediately.) I can't really comment on whether you can style your hair or not because my hair hasn't been completely curly in 6 years due to JHS, which means my roots will get curly, but the remainder of my hair is pin straight from the JHS. I'll do 1-2 BKTs to help the unruly roots and then eventually JHS at the roots with BKT down the length of my hair. I find myself going back to JHS just for convenience because of my super curly hair...but I hate how JHS makes my hair pin straight (I hate the ends.)

I've been considering a Digital Perm if they can somehow manage to give me bigger waves (think Gisele Bunchen hair.)

As for products, I like the Coppola line. I used the line for colored hair because I frequently dye my hair. I didn't have a good experience with the Organix or L'Oreal lines. I found them to be drying. I currently use Mastey products, but they can be difficult to find in stores (I order mine online.)

Old 08-01-2012, 12:54 PM

7,736 posts, read 13,962,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFemme86 View Post
Oh boo ... why'd I think you were in NY? Am I mixing up posters? I guess I should have known $99 was too good to be true!

Good luck; let us know what you choose! Based on the above poster, I'm intrigued by BB as well.
I currently go to Hair IB in Flushing, Queens. A lot of girls I know use Hair Village, which is just down the road from Hair IB, but I've heard it's more like a factory.

In fact, I need to set up an appointment for next week!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty