U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 09:06 PM

2,482 posts, read 2,613,744 times

Advertisements

I would like to hear from the ladies. Tell me something, do you read a lot of the fashion magazines that are on stands at most stores? Do you actually follow their styles and suggestions? Do you think they are in touch with real fashion styles of average everyday women or do you think they are a total waste of time and money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 09:55 PM

948 posts, read 1,372,507 times
I glance at some but I religiously read Vogue and Elle on a monthly basis. I do read Vogue monthly and keep all of my issues. Are they in touch with the fashion styles of everyday women??? Not overall but the purpose of Vogue is to show the latest in fashion (editorial and everyday) and report on the latest trends (skirt lengths, patterns, color, cosmetics/hair, age appropriate fashions, etc.). Couture and editorial fashion is not meant to necessarily translate to everyday wear.

I don't believe they are a waste of money for those interested in fashion as there is something in it for everyone. No one is saying you have to buy the 1K blouse/dress/skirt shown on it;s pages because the styles do trickle down to more moderate priced labels and the mags do help with you with styling/accessorizing your looks.

I wish more women would buy/read The Age Issue which Vogue publishes yearly. The issue really maps out for the reader the types of clothing/cuts one should wear and how to look fashionable for ages 20 somethings up to 70 somethings. There would so many more women dressed in stylish, age-appropriate clothing if they did.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:36 PM

26,894 posts, read 28,206,166 times
I love fashion magazines. And I read them a bit less than I did when I was younger. I stopped subscribing Vogue, because their feature stories decreased in quality. That was one of my main reasons for reading. I like the lifestyle mags more, as I like to read.

The "high fashion" mags are completely unrealistic in terms of finding your everyday style. But fashion magazines are like decor magazines, you look at them for ideas, and hunt for stuff that is more in line with your budget.

The one I "read" monthly is Lucky. I subscribe. It is perfect for my short attention span, and it tells you where to buy things.

I read Vogue and Elle at the store pretty frequently. I tend to buy September issues, and Vogue's Body issue.

The fashion media tends to exclude people who look like me, and have my body type. I am a lot more inspired by street style blogs and fashion bloggers. I can pick people to follow who are more like me, and find realistic tips.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I love fashion magazines. And I read them a bit less than I did when I was younger. I stopped subscribing Vogue, because their feature stories decreased in quality. That was one of my main reasons for reading. I like the lifestyle mags more, as I like to read.

The "high fashion" mags are completely unrealistic in terms of finding your everyday style. But fashion magazines are like decor magazines, you look at them for ideas, and hunt for stuff that is more in line with your budget.

The one I "read" monthly is Lucky. I subscribe. It is perfect for my short attention span, and it tells you where to buy things.

I read Vogue and Elle at the store pretty frequently. I tend to buy September issues, and Vogue's Body issue.

The fashion media tends to exclude people who look like me, and have my body type. I am a lot more inspired by street style blogs and fashion bloggers. I can pick people to follow who are more like me, and find realistic tips.
Very interesting observation, could you tell me what your body type is?

Old 07-31-2012, 11:09 PM

701 posts, read 1,210,246 times
I usually look at fashion mags just to see the fashion & styling. Sometimes I care about the trends, but I don't more often than not (like how they've been trying to make neon work for the past two years -- stop it). I'll read an article if I find it interesting, but normally I'm all about the accessories.

When I was younger, I subscribed to Vogue and Elle because I was deep into following models and fashion, but I grew out of it.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:23 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,821,857 times
Depends on what you consider 'style'

I read magazines that feature old school or rockabilly/tattoo/alternative culture and get a lot of fashion ideas from that.

I don't ready any normal fashion magazines because most of it is a little preppy and boring for me.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:39 PM

26,894 posts, read 28,206,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbelles View Post
Sometimes I care about the trends, but I don't more often than not (like how they've been trying to make neon work for the past two years -- stop it).
I love neon! :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
Very interesting observation, could you tell me what your body type is?
Pretty close to an hourglass. Sometimes I seem more pear, but I am busty. 90% of clothing isn't cut for women with bigger boobs/smaller waist and/or bigger lower body and a smaller waist.

Saves me a ton of effort/time if I find a blogger with similar proportions to me. I have the usual "curvy" girl problems. Stuff that fits my bust is big in the waist (unless it is a knit). Stuff that fits my butt and thighs is big in the waist. If someone tells me brand X has plenty of room for boobs, I know to seek it out and save myself dressing room hassles.

One of my other beefs with magazines is how they tend to define body types. It is usually something like "petite" "athletic" and "curvy." With very little assignment based on proportions, which can come in larger and smaller sizes.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:

Pretty close to an hourglass. Sometimes I seem more pear, but I am busty. 90% of clothing isn't cut for women with bigger boobs/smaller waist and/or bigger lower body and a smaller waist.

Saves me a ton of effort/time if I find a blogger with similar proportions to me. I have the usual "curvy" girl problems. Stuff that fits my bust is big in the waist (unless it is a knit). Stuff that fits my butt and thighs is big in the waist. If someone tells me brand X has plenty of room for boobs, I know to seek it out and save myself dressing room hassles.

One of my other beefs with magazines is how they tend to define body types. It is usually something like "petite" "athletic" and "curvy." With very little assignment based on proportions, which can come in larger and smaller sizes.
That is a shame your body type sounds awsome to me.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:49 AM

701 posts, read 1,210,246 times
Quote:
Haha, I'm sorry but I have always had this aversion to neon. And pastels. And really bright colors (except for orange).

...Basically, I haven't bought a thing since early Spring because all the clothes in stores have been so freaking *bright*! I can't wait for fall so that my eyes will finally be able to relax.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:56 AM

25,575 posts, read 23,787,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
I would like to hear from the ladies. Tell me something, do you read a lot of the fashion magazines that are on stands at most stores? Do you actually follow their styles and suggestions? Do you think they are in touch with real fashion styles of average everyday women or do you think they are a total waste of time and money?
I wont buy them and the only time I read them is when Im in a dr office or someplace waiting. But no one is going to tell me what I should wear or how much to spend. Jeans and tank tops or peasant skirts have never ever gone wrong over all these decades and most of my wardrobe consists of just that. Sometimes it make me laugh when they show a nice blouse and it says 'only 35.00'....I can buy asimilar blouse for maybe 2.oo at the thrift store.
Those magazines are amusing though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty