U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2012, 08:13 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,783,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peerage View Post
You're representing yourself, your family name, your country and the Olympics... show up groomed. Which shows you care about yourself.
Wow, and here I thought keeping yourself in such top shape that you're considered one of the elite athletes on Earth plus all of the work, pain, and personal sacrifice that comes with putting oneself in such elite company, would be sufficient to show that you care about yourself. But all of that pales in comparison to how you wear your hair.

Perspective, people. Seriously. It's an athletic competition, not a beauty pageant.

Last edited by Drover; 08-07-2012 at 08:31 AM..

Old 08-07-2012, 08:43 AM

9,209 posts, read 18,039,121 times
We are not commenting on the "ponybuns" because of a lack of "beauty." This is not about beauty, attractiveness, fashion, or sexist pressure on women. Period.

It's simply about neatness. I actually think that in many cases messy hair can be pretty and attractive. But in a planet-wide competition, with millions watching, where you are representing your entire nation, and in a sport where presentation and appearance counts, I had hoped to see neatness.

A simple tight ponytail is not necessarily pretty, stylish, or beautiful, but it is neat. Ditto with a bun. The little clips they wear are to keep down the fly-away hairs. So they evidently care about neatness, but just on the one part of their heads, but not on the other part of their heads.

I really think that neatness of one's appearance shows respect, for where you are, and who is seeing you. I'll wear a messy, sexy hairdo if I go out to a bar with friends or out to dinner with the boyfriend, but I'll wear a simple, neat hairdo on a job interview or when I have to speak in front of a large group. I'll wear a sloppy ponytail with pieces sticking out to do yard work or to go running, but not to church or a special occasion.

To me, in the occasions/settings that call for neatness are NOT about beauty or fashion, but about respect, respect for where I am and who will have to look at me.

If I show up to present a training to 50 people, who all paid money to learn something from me, and I look sloppy, that shows a lack of respect for the audience, and takes away from my presentation. Likewise, if I am performing in an artistic and athletic competition in front of millions, after training for years, making so many sacrifices, and having people all around me making sacrifices, and judges are scrutinizing my every move, and fans who respect me are all behind me, then the least I could do is show respect for all of them and present myself professionally and neatly.

If I noticed any men with sloppy hair in an artistic competition, then believe me, I'd be starting a thread about that too. And I don't want to put words in their mouths, but I'm sure the OP Julia, Ohiogirl, and the others would agree. Maybe the men or their coaches just had more of a respect for the venue, the audience, and the judges? I don't know, but so far, they looked neat and well-groomed for the most part.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:50 AM

15,187 posts, read 16,035,343 times
Haven't read the whole thread, but I was struck by the messy hair, too. They're all amazing athletes and I'm awed by them and proud of them, but I thought it was odd that they just stuck their hair halfway up like they were going to the grocery store.

OTOH, I'm struck by the track and field women who have on full make up and wear their hair down. I'd be afraid of sweating makeup into my eyes and the hair flopping around.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
We are not commenting on the "ponybuns" because of a lack of "beauty." This is not about beauty, attractiveness, fashion, or sexist pressure on women. Period.

It's simply about neatness. I actually think that in many cases messy hair can be pretty and attractive. But in a planet-wide competition, with millions watching, where you are representing your entire nation, and in a sport where presentation and appearance counts, I had hoped to see neatness.

blah blah blah (snip)
In a sport where presentation and appearance counts, they've ended up with a lot of metal around their necks. So it stands they made the proper impression on the people whom they're supposed to impress -- which, incidentally, isn't you.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:55 AM

31,162 posts, read 57,274,608 times
Oh, for heaven's sake. No one is saying that the girls aren't talented.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Oh, for heaven's sake. No one is saying that the girls aren't talented.
Oh no -- they're just telling gold medalists how to conduct themselves in their own sport, which takes a degree of arrogance that I can't even fathom.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:04 AM

15,187 posts, read 16,035,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Oh no -- they're just telling gold medalists how to conduct themselves in their own sport, which takes a degree of arrogance that I can't even fathom.
I don't see anyone saying that. Everyone recognizes their talent, dedication and achievements. In fact, it's the combination of those things that is curious. Everything else about them is precise and perfect. Why the sloppy hair? It doesn't seem to fit. I'm not criticizing them--just a bit confused.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:05 AM

And to anyone who wants to PM me on the subject -- if you have something to say to me about it, say it here. I don't read PMs from people I don't know.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I don't see anyone saying that. Everyone recognizes their talent, dedication and achievements. In fact, it's the combination of those things that is curious. Everything else about them is precise and perfect. Why the sloppy hair? It doesn't seem to fit. I'm not criticizing them--just a bit confused.
The post I quoted made specific reference to how their appearance is part of the competition. Telling gold medalists that they're not conducting their sport properly is forehead-smackingly arrogant.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:09 AM

13,292 posts, read 10,099,690 times
Again I ask, why has'nt anyone said anything about the beach volleyball womens team parading around in their undies in 50 degree weather?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or