U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2012, 11:51 AM

10,892 posts, read 13,030,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I AM looking at what they're doing and am very proud of all of them. GO USA!!!!

But this is the Fashion and Beauty forum, which by definition tends to be shallow and judgmental. And I'm questioning some of their fashion choices.
I hear ya, but pretty much all athletes choose attire specifically designed to accommodate their performance & personal comfort.

Diff'rent strokes...

Old 08-07-2012, 12:03 PM

35,823 posts, read 39,447,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
That's possible. I would bet you a buck, though, that pretty much no one on this thread ever noticed the tidy buns and ponytails before and thought, "Man, those girls really need to loosen up and get some messy hair or something. No wonder the world thinks Americans are so uptight."
Not me...probably because I don't watch gymnastics, as a rule. If I consider the sport at all, it's usually just to reflect on how many people I've known involved in it who are battling or have battled eating disorders.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:05 PM

31,227 posts, read 57,391,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Actually, I keep focusing on the fact that she looks like Mary Tyler Moore.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:47 PM

26,896 posts, read 28,206,166 times
A nice little reminder that all of the appearance criticism for female athletes is beyond ridiculous.
Female Olympians fight back against shamers and haters Fit and Feminist

Old 08-07-2012, 12:51 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,898,138 times
Quote:
I watched the encapsulated version of women's gymnastics last night, and I was rather put off by the messy hair that almost all of the American gymnasts wore. When they were coming out in groups, everybody was in warmup gear, so I thought they were being comfortable. Nope, they performed like that. And as far as I could tell (granted, I only saw Russia, a little Romania, and practically no China), we were the only group of girls with that sloppy hair. A different leotard for every event, different outfits for the medal ceremonies ... and scrunchie buns that look like they just fell out of bed. You represent our country at an important event, ladies. Brush it out or put it up, for Pete's sakes. My ballet teachers would have killed me.

Interesting, I thought the whole idea of the Olympics was to compete as an "Athlete" and do the best you could. Who knew it really is a "Fashion" event for American Women Only.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:59 PM

Here is a fun little retrospective on gymnast's hair over the years!
Olympic Gymnast Hair: An Appreciation

Old 08-07-2012, 01:00 PM

25,907 posts, read 35,027,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Interesting, I thought the whole idea of the Olympics was to compete as an "Athlete" and do the best you could. Who knew it really is a "Fashion" event for American Women Only.
I think representing your team, country, and sponsors is important, as well as giving the event the respect it deserves. I didn't see any judges in jeans and tennis shoes.

The next time I interview for a job, I'll try wearing a tank top and messy topknot and see how it goes. After all, my experience and skills are what really matter. Or I could wear sweats and flip-flops to my friend's church wedding later this year, because a real friend would only care that I showed up and that I was comfortable and relaxed.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Not me...probably because I don't watch gymnastics, as a rule. If I consider the sport at all, it's usually just to reflect on how many people I've known involved in it who are battling or have battled eating disorders.
That's sad. I knew a few girls in ballet with those issues as well.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
That's sad. I knew a few girls in ballet with those issues as well.
Have you ever read, Little Girls in Pretty Boxes?

Amazon.com: Little Girls in Pretty Boxes: The Making and Breaking of Elite Gymnasts and Figure Skaters (9780446676823): Joan Ryan: Books

Old 08-07-2012, 01:23 PM

No, I haven't. Is there a chapter about how brushing your hair leads to anorexia and injury? Somebody tell Jordyn Wieber, quick!

Adding: I understand the body issues gymnasts and other athletes such as figure skaters and dancers have. I have not said the first word about the girls' weight or their bodies, except perhaps in other threads where I may have commented about how extreme exercise stunts young women's growth and menstrual cycles. To me, a gymnast with messy hair at the Olympics is the equivalent of a celebrity at the Academy Awards wearing torn jeans on the red carpet. It's a formal event, often the pinnacle of a career. Wishing some people would be more respectful of the occasion is not calling them fat or telling them to practice more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or