U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2012, 12:33 PM

10,892 posts, read 13,010,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
A nice little reminder that all of the appearance criticism for female athletes is beyond ridiculous.
Female Olympians fight back against shamers and haters Fit and Feminist
Great post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia
The next time I interview for a job, I'll try wearing a tank top and messy topknot and see how it goes. After all, my experience and skills are what really matter. Or I could wear sweats and flip-flops to my friend's church wedding later this year, because a real friend would only care that I showed up and that I was comfortable and relaxed.
The major difference here, is that gymnastic uniforms are completely appropriate for their sport. Pretty much always been leotards or whatever..

I'd also imagine that doing hundreds of somersaulting backflip loop-de-loops would probably mess up anyone's hair...It's the Olympics, not a tv show.

Or perhaps Aqua Net is no longer sponsoring American gymnastics, lol

Old 08-07-2012, 12:46 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,802,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I think representing your team, country, and sponsors is important, as well as giving the event the respect it deserves. I didn't see any judges in jeans and tennis shoes.

The next time I interview for a job, I'll try wearing a tank top and messy topknot and see how it goes. After all, my experience and skills are what really matter. Or I could wear sweats and flip-flops to my friend's church wedding later this year, because a real friend would only care that I showed up and that I was comfortable and relaxed.

I think the point is that YOU are making an issue about HAIR when the focus is how each athlete PERFORMS.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:49 PM

25,907 posts, read 34,973,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I think the point is that YOU are making an issue about HAIR when the focus is how each athlete PERFORMS.
I'll tell my prospective employer that dressing up for an interview is so totally oppressive and unfair.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:54 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Quote:
No, I haven't. Is there a chapter about how brushing your hair leads to anorexia and injury?
Undue attention paid to superficial appearance-related factors, at times to the exclusion of one's athletic ability, certainly can. On this thread, it's "Their hair doesn't look the way it's supposed to." In some other context it could as easily be, "Their thighs [butts, hips, arms] don't look the way they're supposed to." When appearance is more heavily noted than skill, the message is that appearance is what really matters.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
The major difference here, is that gymnastic uniforms are completely appropriate for their sport. Pretty much always been leotards or whatever..

I'd also imagine that doing hundreds of somersaulting backflip loop-de-loops would probably mess up anyone's hair...It's the Olympics, not a tv show.

Or perhaps Aqua Net is no longer sponsoring American gymnastics, lol
1. That's true, although I wish the white ones were better lined. Tidy hair has "pretty much always been" too.

2. No, it's not difficult to do. Thousands of gymnasts (such as the rest of the girls at the Olympics), dancers, ice skaters, and other athletes do it every day.

3. That is entirely possible. We did go through a ton of hair spray, LOL.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:23 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,006,838 times
That's the way I wear my hair to bed, didn't know it had a name...pony bun.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:45 PM

2,857 posts, read 4,694,079 times
You know, I DID notice it the first round and was a little surprised since pony buns are really casual and a bit messy-looking... my first thought was couldn't you just choose bun OR pony tail? I, too, have a ballet background.

But I was much more turned off by the heavy make-up of the other teams like Russia (and glittered-hair). Contrasting that look against our team with their healthy-looking, natural, less dramatic makeup and sporty pony buns may set a better example for young girls watching that it's about what you do and not how you look and the attention should be on your routine, not your face.

This comparison made me warm up to the pony bun look.... i.e., it's more about being a sporty girl than a dramatically made-up princess. I still don't love the look considering it's formal competition, but I like the overall message of sportiness and focusing on the gymnastics.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
You know, I DID notice it the first round and was a little surprised since pony buns are really casual and a bit messy-looking... my first thought was couldn't you just choose bun OR pony tail? I, too, have a ballet background.

But I was much more turned off by the heavy make-up of the other teams like Russia (and glittered-hair). Contrasting that look against our team with their healthy-looking, natural, less dramatic makeup and sporty pony buns may set a better example for young girls watching that it's about what you do and not how you look and the attention should be on your routine, not your face.

This comparison made me warm up to the pony bun look.... i.e., it's more about being a sporty girl than a dramatically made-up princess. I still don't love the look considering it's formal competition, but I like the overall message of sportiness and focusing on the gymnastics.
Interesting points. I liked a previous comment too that younger women probably see ponybuns (didn't know what to call them) as cute and fun. I agree about the makeup ... if all of them came out with naked faces, I wouldn't care, nor would I care if they only had one plain leotard and didn't wear a single sparkle anywhere. I don't expect anybody to wear matchy cheerleader bows, and I wouldn't care if all the female tennis players announced they wanted to wear shorts instead of tennis dresses that showed their butts every time they swung overhand.

Sporty, not dance-y ... I will contemplate.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:34 PM

3,861 posts, read 7,416,007 times
Quote:
I think representing your team, country, and sponsors is important, as well as giving the event the respect it deserves. I didn't see any judges in jeans and tennis shoes.

Well their hair didn't seem to hurt them in this case. Their skills impressed the people who needed to be impressed.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:05 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,707,564 times
In Defense of Gabby Douglas' Hair | Team Mom - Yahoo! Shine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or