U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 03:36 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,849,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I think representing your team, country, and sponsors is important, as well as giving the event the respect it deserves. I didn't see any judges in jeans and tennis shoes.

The next time I interview for a job, I'll try wearing a tank top and messy topknot and see how it goes. After all, my experience and skills are what really matter. Or I could wear sweats and flip-flops to my friend's church wedding later this year, because a real friend would only care that I showed up and that I was comfortable and relaxed.
The difference is, wearing a tank top and messy topknot to an interview is inappropriate attire for the occasion (unless maybe you're interviewing to be a Phish roadie). Evidently the judges did not judge "sloppy 'ponybuns'" to be inappropriate attire for the occasion. And I trust them to be better judges of what is appropriate for the occasion than you are.

Every single one of these chicks could have "Flock of Seagulls" inverted mohawks for all I care. I'd still be impressed with their achievement and pleased they represented my country.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:50 PM

25,907 posts, read 35,002,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The difference is, wearing a tank top and messy topknot to an interview is inappropriate attire for the occasion (unless maybe you're interviewing to be a Phish roadie). Evidently the judges did not judge "sloppy 'ponybuns'" to be inappropriate attire for the occasion. And I trust them to be better judges of what is appropriate for the occasion than you are.

Every single one of these chicks could have "Flock of Seagulls" inverted mohawks for all I care. I'd still be impressed with their achievement and pleased they represented my country.
Different strokes, I guess. But mohawks would be awesome.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:09 PM

2,207 posts, read 3,016,388 times
I see this is a passionate topic for many people here (and yes, I read through this thread).

First, let me say, I understand there is a certain etiquette with this sport. (I did not take gymnastics, but I knew people who did.) This being said, the reality isn't exclusive to gymnastics, but a change from tradition in everyday life. People as a whole are becoming "sloppier" or more "casual"--however you wish to interpret it. You see workplace attire becoming less professional, people dressing up less to go out (or even as if they rolled out of bed), jeans becoming everyday attire even at traditional offices, or people wearing casual attire at more formal occasions, etc. Hair in general is less neat. It's more popular to have an "unfinished" look, as opposed to a polished one.

As teens, I would expect them to follow with trends as opposed to taking the mature, "bigger picture" perspective that adults would have. They may believe they already represented their team well (after all, they achieved their goal), and probably think wearing a traditional bun is frumpy, and having "perfect looking" hair doesn't matter. This isn't to say I'd agree with them, but let's face it, they're not going to have the same perspective as us, unless their parents insisted on a more polished look.

My point? Don't just blame the gymnasts--the issue is deeper than that.

For now, anyway, let's enjoy the victory while we can. Perhaps in time, fashion will go back to retro, neater looks of the past.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:25 PM

31,216 posts, read 57,343,818 times
Quote:
But mohawks would be awesome.
Now there's an understatement! LOL I'd pay good cash money to see that.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:30 PM

2,890 posts, read 5,158,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
As teens, I would expect them to follow with trends as opposed to taking the mature, "bigger picture" perspective that adults would have. They may believe they already represented their team well (after all, they achieved their goal), and probably think wearing a traditional bun is frumpy, and having "perfect looking" hair doesn't matter.
Couldn't have said it better! It's funny how we forget what being young is like. Personally, I think these girls have the rest of their life to conform to the adult world. They are disciplined in every other way - let them have their small bit of rebellion!

Old 08-07-2012, 06:28 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,849,999 times
Quote:
Different strokes, I guess. But mohawks would be awesome.
Not just any mohawks, but "Flock of Seagulls" inverted mohawks.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:31 PM

25,907 posts, read 35,002,181 times
Dude, I would be all over team solidarity with red, white, and blue mohawks. Those things take quite a lot longer to style than a regular smooth ponytail, though.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:41 PM

27,293 posts, read 15,058,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
You know, I DID notice it the first round and was a little surprised since pony buns are really casual and a bit messy-looking... my first thought was couldn't you just choose bun OR pony tail? I, too, have a ballet background.

But I was much more turned off by the heavy make-up of the other teams like Russia (and glittered-hair). Contrasting that look against our team with their healthy-looking, natural, less dramatic makeup and sporty pony buns may set a better example for young girls watching that it's about what you do and not how you look and the attention should be on your routine, not your face.

This comparison made me warm up to the pony bun look.... i.e., it's more about being a sporty girl than a dramatically made-up princess. I still don't love the look considering it's formal competition, but I like the overall message of sportiness and focusing on the gymnastics.
I agree! I think our girls look healthy, clean, sporty, and adorable. But then, I'm on board with messy hair.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:57 AM

907 posts, read 1,313,431 times
Quote:
I think representing your team, country, and sponsors is important, as well as giving the event the respect it deserves. I didn't see any judges in jeans and tennis shoes.

The next time I interview for a job, I'll try wearing a tank top and messy topknot and see how it goes. After all, my experience and skills are what really matter. Or I could wear sweats and flip-flops to my friend's church wedding later this year, because a real friend would only care that I showed up and that I was comfortable and relaxed.
Interviewing for a job is different. You're going in without knowing the person to make an impression. If you're at the Olympics than you have already impressed hundreds of people along the way. For example if you get an interview for a job they only know you by what's on paper. However, gymnasts do not interview; they take action, they spend their lives doing gymnastics. I hair and everything else mattered do you think so many people woul be scouted for things like college sports? I had a scout congratulate me on softball and ask if I was interested In playing college ball despite looking like I was run over by a bus- I mean you know I would be representing the college an all. (and gymnastics is WAY much more of a sport than softball. I'm impressed at how manicured their hair looks at all.

This whole logic and how concerned people are with the hairstyles of these incredibly talented girls is ridiculous. Are any of you ( those with the criticisms) in the Olympics?

I would be just as proud of of the USA gymnastics team if they all looked like they really rolled out of bed with flyaways and no makeup. ( oh and ally raisman had her hair in a bun yesterday for beam btw I wonder if negative comments got to her

Old 08-08-2012, 07:27 AM

23,615 posts, read 31,177,547 times
Quote:
In a sport where presentation and appearance counts, they've ended up with a lot of metal around their necks. So it stands they made the proper impression on the people whom they're supposed to impress -- which, incidentally, isn't you.
This.

Quote:
Oh no -- they're just telling gold medalists how to conduct themselves in their own sport, which takes a degree of arrogance that I can't even fathom.
And this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I think the point is that YOU are making an issue about HAIR when the focus is how each athlete PERFORMS.
And this too.

Also, I'm just going to go ahead and acknowledge the 800-lb gorilla in the room.

WOULD people be making such a fuss of Gabby Douglas's hair if she was not black?

Race card dealt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or