U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 11:27 AM

23,618 posts, read 31,208,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I was pleased to see the two US girls on the Floor exercise having NEAT hair last night. The Maroney girl had a nice neat ponytail, and Aly Raisman (who won) had an odd-shaped, yet NEAT bun, with no pieces sticking out all over like they all had last week.
You were paying too much attention to their hair and not enough attention to the fact that McKayla Maroney did not compete on floor last night. Jordyn Wieber did.

Quote:
And PLEASE, no, this has NOTHING to do with RACE. How would a person even THINK that?????
Easily.

Quote:
We were posting here about the whole US team, and many of the women from the other countries as well having sloppy hair. Most of them, to my recollection, were caucasian.

And the person around whom most of the media's "Hairgate" discussions have revolved is Gabby Douglas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
You and a few others mentioned Gabby, not me. I am talking about all of the girls. Here's your card back.
Nah, you keep it; after all, this is your thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Exactly. But it's useless to try to explain this to people who are intent reading into opinions what is not there in the first place.

I don't recall anyone singling out a specific gymnast, black or otherwise. Except for this post.

Because some persons are intent upon pushing agendas and/or proving how "diverse" they are.
*shrug* I'm a jerk for bringing up a discussion point that's been dealt with extensively in the media but is conspicuously absent from this debate, but it's OK to denigrate the incredible accomplishments of our U.S. gymnasts because you think their HAIR is SLOPPY?

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmkay.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:33 AM

3,869 posts, read 12,526,357 times
How about we judge them on their performance rather than how they look.
Function before fashion.
It's not a beauty pageant.
The only reason your griping about the hair is vanity.
jmo
  • Marry lou retton didn't have a ponybun...
  • Her hair was going every where, well what hair she did have.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:37 AM

13,692 posts, read 15,133,468 times
I would just chock it up to the girls being female "jocks".

Their hair is the very last thing on their agenda when they're preparing for a competition - that's the way it should be.

They're not fashion models, they're athletes. They live, eat, breathe their sport.

I don't remember any girl athletes in high school with perfect hair except cheerleaders.

Maybe next olympics they'll wear those skin tight swimcaps on their heads to reduce the drag of the ponytails, and they can all look exactly the same. Bald. - Or they can have hairstylist Chaz Dean travel with the team so their hair is perfect and doesn't offend anyones aesthetic sensibilities as they balance all of their weight on one toenail doing backflips off of balance beams.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:46 AM

48 posts, read 82,527 times
Quote:
Shoppers in Walmart are not performing an artistic presentation in front of millions of people (at least not to their knowledge).

Their life is an artistic presentation of "People Of WalMart."

Old 08-08-2012, 11:47 AM

9,209 posts, read 18,081,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
You were paying too much attention to their hair and not enough attention to the fact that McKayla Maroney did not compete on floor last night. Jordyn Wieber did.

Easily.

And the person around whom most of the media's "Hairgate" discussions have revolved is Gabby Douglas.

*shrug* I'm a jerk for bringing up a discussion point that's been dealt with extensively in the media but is conspicuously absent from this debate, but it's OK to denigrate the incredible accomplishments of our U.S. gymnasts because you think their HAIR is SLOPPY?

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmkay.

I never heard about any media controversey on "hairgate." I've only seen this thread, and discussed it here. I had no idea that others were talking about it. When I read news, it's important news, not controversey about hair. That's why I come to CD, for the less serious stuff.
My mistake on which girl had the nice ponytail, but my point still stands. It was neat, not messy.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I would just chock it up to the girls being female "jocks".

Their hair is the very last thing on their agenda when they're preparing for a competition - that's the way it should be.

They're not fashion models, they're athletes. They live, eat, breathe their sport.

I don't remember any girl athletes in high school with perfect hair except cheerleaders.

Maybe next olympics they'll wear those skin tight swimcaps on their heads to reduce the drag of the ponytails, and they can all look exactly the same. Bald. - Or they can have hairstylist Chaz Dean travel with the team so their hair is perfect and doesn't offend anyones aesthetic sensibilities as they balance all of their weight on one toenail doing backflips off of balance beams.
This. I recall in past Olympics there was criticism of gymnasts from various nations...always female, always having to do with their appearance rather than their performance. I remember people criticized the Chinese gymnasts for having "receding hairlines". I remember people criticized the Russians who did in the past and still do wear quite heavy makeup. I remember Svetlana Khorkina coming in for severe criticism of her hairstyle and the fact that the sleeves on her leotard did not reach her wrists, when...if she should have been criticized for anything...it should have been her crappy attitude when she wasn't winning.

I remember a friend of mine was watching the 1992 gymnastics competition at my house way back in the day. This was back when the old Soviet team was competing as the 'Unified Team' and was maybe a bit under a year since the collapse of the USSR. My friend remarked that one of the Unified Team gymnasts had awful, stained, crooked teeth. My mother shot back, "She's an elite gymnast from a country that no longer exists and has probably had to deal with stress that your pampered behind will never know...and now she's on TV competing at a world level in gymnastics when I bet you couldn't even get from one end of a balance beam to the other without falling on your perfect teeth."

Well played, mom.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:52 AM

25,907 posts, read 35,027,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Can you take your race issues to Politics & Other Controversies, please? Or maybe Psychology? We're talking about hair in the Fashion & Beauty forum.

Although I suppose I should have opened it in the Hair forum, but I think of that forum more for hair care. Shampoo and stuff.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I never heard about any media controversey on "hairgate." I've only seen this thread, and discussed it here. I had no idea that others were talking about it. When I read news, it's important news, not controversey about hair. That's why I come to CD, for the less serious stuff.
My mistake on which girl had the nice ponytail, but my point still stands. It was neat, not messy.
Yet here you are, writing page after page of gripping commentary about how slovenly our elite, world-class gymnasts' hairdos are.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Can you take your race issues to Politics & Other Controversies, please? Or maybe Psychology? We're talking about hair in the Fashion & Beauty forum.

Although I suppose I should have opened it in the Hair forum, but I think of that forum more for hair care. Shampoo and stuff.
It's not my race issue. I'm merely adding a wrinkle to this discussion that has been dissected for days by the mainstream media.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:57 AM

9,209 posts, read 18,081,791 times
Yes, I'm here sharing opinions. I'm not doing extensive research on what others in the media have said about gymnasts' hair; I just gave my opinion. I can form my opinion without reading what people in the media have as their opinion. Sorry, I didn't know I had to read Cosmo and Salon.com before posting my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or