U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 12:20 PM

9,209 posts, read 18,049,326 times

Advertisements

To me, "current events" are about our country going downhill fast, unemployment, terrorism, crime, voter fraud and intimidation, the erosion of our Constitution, the destruction of the dollar, how nations are relating to each other, who our leaders are and what they are doing.

I tend to skip over the hair stories just like the Bieber fever/ Karsashian stories.
I only come to CD for the less important little things. I had no clue that the news was filled with hair discussions. That's pretty sad if it's so.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:38 PM

13,292 posts, read 10,103,299 times
I wonder if all of the stupid talk about her hair had any affect on her performance? Opps I guess if it was changed you would not have noticed it on the world stage because she was not there!

Old 08-08-2012, 12:51 PM

15,187 posts, read 16,044,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I wonder if all of the stupid talk about her hair had any affect on her performance? Opps I guess if it was changed you would not have noticed it on the world stage because she was not there!
I doubt if all the talk had any effect on anyone's performance, but the the two American girls who competed last night had very neat hair. So maybe they listened to all the mama's chiming in here. "Sweetie, if you'd put your hair in a nice ponytail you'd look neater. Now here's a kiss for good luck."

Old 08-08-2012, 12:58 PM

10,892 posts, read 13,013,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post

Were there a lot of stories between the night of the performance and the next morning, when I posted?
I'm not giving you crap or anything, but yes, lol.

The hair comments started rolling out after her performances July 31st when she won Gold.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:26 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,718,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I doubt if all the talk had any effect on anyone's performance, but the the two American girls who competed last night had very neat hair. So maybe they listened to all the mama's chiming in here. "Sweetie, if you'd put your hair in a nice ponytail you'd look neater. Now here's a kiss for good luck."
Oh yeah... I am sure that was the case....

Old 08-08-2012, 01:43 PM

25,907 posts, read 34,981,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
This thread is all over the place.

On the issue of the ponytails in general, I am torn. I see both sides of it.

We ARE judged on presentation, and hair is a part of that. I do understand Team Ponytail's point.

And....I also think that is sad that with all of the accomplishments of these remarkable women, the way that they look is still subjected to controversy. Not necessarily in this thread, but in general.
I respect that and have softened a lot from my original stance, which was mainly surprise that they chose to wear their hair like that, both because it is unusual in big gymnastic events and because I consider the Olympics to be an important, serious event and messy hair seems disrespectful in general.

Most of my comments since then have been to respond to people speaking to me or saying off-the-wall things like ponytails take three hours to do, or that wishing a girl would brush her hair will cause bulimia, or that it's impossible to keep hair tidy anyway so why bother.

Quote:
I must say that I judged Misty May-Traynor and Kerri Walsh more harshly for wearing butt riding bikinis in cold weather when they clearly had more modest options. And don't they have tape or glue to keep the darn things in place? I digress...
Uh oh. You apparently are a petty woman who likes to tear down others, and you're probably a racist too somehow. (Joking.)

Quote:
As for Gabby specifically, her hair has been all over the news (do ya'll keep up with current events? I heard of this without even trying), so I am surprised that some of you didn't know.
I've read some of it since my original post because I was curious whether I was alone in my opinions. Honestly, I don't know why Gabby was singled out when most of them have that hair, but some people have their drums to beat, and the Internet loves a good uproar about nothing.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:07 PM

3,097 posts, read 4,012,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Oh. My. God.
For the hundredth time. This is NOt about beauty. It's about neatness. We never, ever complained about a gymnast's beauty or lack thereof (except there was that one person who said one of the girls looked like a squirrel).

And gymnastics has an artistic presentation element that other sports do not have.
then WHY is it about neatness? She somehow managed to win while having 'un neat' hair, so therefore the judges don't seem to share your view on neatness and its importance to Gymnastics.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:15 PM

25,907 posts, read 34,981,619 times
And now, so that I am not contributing to the hullabaloo any longer, I am closing the thread. I apologize if I look like I'm taking my ball and going home, but I've stated my opinion plainly and simply several times. If you Google "gymnasts messy hair" or something along those lines, this thread is one of the top results, and making some kind of big statement was not my intention. I forget sometimes that a little side forum on a website about U.S. cities is still very publicly visible.

Alexandra, Gabby, Jordyn, Kyla, and McKayla, you all did a great job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or