U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 06:39 AM

25,907 posts, read 34,973,454 times

Advertisements

I guess we'll have to see a few male Olympians with scruffy beards, unshaven necks, and purple mohawks to know for sure. That would be awesome.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:45 AM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
I don't know that messy buns are necessarily on par with purple Mohawks, but I don't remember Shaun White getting anything but good press for his big old' mop of hair.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:54 AM

484 posts, read 691,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post

I notice that your hair is pretty much a mess and sticking up and out of place in the back in your profile pic, here on CityData. You're representing yourself here and by the anti-American sentiment that shines through your posts in this thread you must be representing your homeland as well.
its modeling photo, Don't Hate Me Cuz I'm HOTTT..... that is the look the hair stylist and photographer were looking for. ...lol From the loads of DM's I get on here MEN ARE GA GA OVER MOI btw my profile has nothing to do with said thread. so maybe we should concentrate on that instead of my gorgeous puss.

Last edited by Peerage; 08-02-2012 at 07:27 AM..

Old 08-02-2012, 07:43 AM

31,165 posts, read 57,288,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Hard to stay "groomed" when you are flipping, tumbling, jumping, and swinging all over the place.
All the more reason to tightly secure your hair in the first place so that it does not flip, tumble, jump and swing as well.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I don't know that messy buns are necessarily on par with purple Mohawks, but I don't remember Shaun White getting anything but good press for his big old' mop of hair.
But Shaun White is a skater. Gymnasts don't perform in T-shirts and cargo shorts. They wear leotards so that people can see the lines of their bodies and the relative perfection of their form. For the same reason, hair is typically fastened out of the way. In ballet, it's scraped into a bun so that you don't whip yourself in the face while doing fouetes.

Ballet's relationship to gymnastics (and ice skating--I wonder if we'll see more of this hair in the Winter Olympics) is obvious. Having tidy hair is traditional and practical.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:01 AM

11,151 posts, read 13,792,939 times
I didn't notice their hair, really. I was transfixed by their performances ..... and their leotards, which were cut so high that the legholes and armholes were in practically the same place!!!

You might be onto something, though, with the idea that messy hair = gold medal .....

Japanese gymnast Kohei Uchimura

Old 08-02-2012, 08:20 AM

442 posts, read 489,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
But Shaun White is a skater. Gymnasts don't perform in T-shirts and cargo shorts. They wear leotards so that people can see the lines of their bodies and the relative perfection of their form. For the same reason, hair is typically fastened out of the way. In ballet, it's scraped into a bun so that you don't whip yourself in the face while doing fouetes.

Ballet's relationship to gymnastics (and ice skating--I wonder if we'll see more of this hair in the Winter Olympics) is obvious. Having tidy hair is traditional and practical.
Shaun White is a snowboarder.

I had two different thoughts on the hair. I agreed with you. OTOH, the expectation of conformity in ballet and gymnastics and ballet must get a bit old.

My DD took dance for a bit...the conformity of appearance stuff starts a little young, and takes away the fun, imo.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:21 AM

2,342 posts, read 2,786,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I watched the encapsulated version of women's gymnastics last night, and I was rather put off by the messy hair that almost all of the American gymnasts wore. When they were coming out in groups, everybody was in warmup gear, so I thought they were being comfortable. Nope, they performed like that. And as far as I could tell (granted, I only saw Russia, a little Romania, and practically no China), we were the only group of girls with that sloppy hair. A different leotard for every event, different outfits for the medal ceremonies ... and scrunchie buns that look like they just fell out of bed. You represent our country at an important event, ladies. Brush it out or put it up, for Pete's sakes. My ballet teachers would have killed me.
They are not performing for you ballet teacher they are doing it for themselves ! ! ! ...

They did not go there to look pretty either, or please the crowds,
and hair styles don't last long while they are performing. ...

They are there to win and get the metals ! ! ! ...

Old 08-02-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspentree View Post
Shaun White is a snowboarder.

I had two different thoughts on the hair. I agreed with you. OTOH, the expectation of conformity in ballet and gymnastics and ballet must get a bit old.

My DD took dance for a bit...the conformity of appearance stuff starts a little young, and takes away the fun, imo.
My bad. And I agree about the hair, which is why I wouldn't give them crud about it at almost any other time. We had our treasured "junk days" (when we got to wear shorts over our leotards) and the teacher who would let us get away with using a ponytail rolled into a fat barette, rather than a regular bun. We also literally got yelled at for having any visible bangs during a recital, or if the ribbons or elastics on our shoes stuck out at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
They are not performing for you ballet teacher they are doing it for themselves ! ! ! ...
Nonsense. If they were doing this for themselves, they would be doing cartwheels in their backyards. This is, as someone else put it, more than some practice after school in the gym. This is the pinnacle of their gymnastic careers.

Quote:
They did not go there to look pretty either,
That doesn't jive with their multiple leotards, multiple track suits, and logoed everything, or that they wore makeup. Some of the girls wore self tanner and earrings. They all care about looking pretty.

Quote:
or please the crowds,
I doubt that, but every athlete should care about pleasing the judges. I watched some gymnastic event a while back where a girl was docked severely for having a visible bra strap. Appearance matters very much in these events.

Quote:
and hair styles don't last long while they are performing. ...
When they are flopping around unsecured, you are definitely right!

Quote:
They are there to win and get the metals ! ! ! ... .
Pointed toes, straight legs, certain hand positions, big smiles ... all irrelevant to women's gymnastics, with no impact on the final scores.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:04 AM

13,496 posts, read 13,971,597 times
a more polished and practical hairdo on the gals who wore 1/2 pony 1/2 bun would have "finished' off their look a bit better. the best analogy I can think of is wearing a full face of make up but not wearing lipstick. with that being said their performance is way more important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or