U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 10:07 AM

18,856 posts, read 30,620,228 times

Advertisements

Julia...you remind me of my Grandmother, she used to braid my hair so tight, I looked Chinese.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:36 AM

29,988 posts, read 36,050,296 times
I didn't see it but I do recall that the wearing of "pony-buns" by American gymnists is not exclusive to these Olympics. I don't see a big deal. I'd be more concerned about performance, behavior, posture, manners than the "pony-bun". But then, some people just have personalities which make them obsess over tiny details. Such people usually make good engineers, architects, surgeons, etc... .

I'd say to the OP, that when you or your daughter make the US Olympic female gymnist team then you can show us how it is done.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:01 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,472,018 times
I didn't see Anyone have link to pictures?

It's not a big deal, but would have been a nice touch. A sleek pony or bun with a whole can of hairspray to keep it in place would have looked better and been more secure. Those pony buns (if they are what I think they are) are constantly falling out of place.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:02 AM

25,906 posts, read 35,151,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Julia...you remind me of my Grandmother, she used to braid my hair so tight, I looked Chinese.
LOL, what can I say? My sister and I had tiny broken hairs at our hairline for years, from scraping our hair back. Ballet is more disciplined than gymnastics, so I notice.

None of kids has the slightest interest in dance, ice skating, etc., so no worries there.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:04 AM

1,548 posts, read 2,435,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I watched the encapsulated version of women's gymnastics last night, and I was rather put off by the messy hair that almost all of the American gymnasts wore. When they were coming out in groups, everybody was in warmup gear, so I thought they were being comfortable. Nope, they performed like that. And as far as I could tell (granted, I only saw Russia, a little Romania, and practically no China), we were the only group of girls with that sloppy hair. A different leotard for every event, different outfits for the medal ceremonies ... and scrunchie buns that look like they just fell out of bed. You represent our country at an important event, ladies. Brush it out or put it up, for Pete's sakes. My ballet teachers would have killed me.
I'll have to agree with you on all accounts. My ballet teachers would have tossed me out of a recital with hair like that. Granted, I rock the messy bun in my day-to-day life, but during a performance, step it up a notch, for sure. Otherwise, go team!

Old 08-02-2012, 11:14 AM

7,475 posts, read 19,653,643 times
I've noticed a lot of football players have very messy hair when they take their helmets off. It's disgraceful.! They should not be allowed to go on the field in front of all those people with messy hair..
The OP quite possibly set a new record in stupid posts... If you're watching athletic contest to criticize one's grooming, you are on the wrong channel. You should switch over to the Kardashians. They usually have their hair combed....

Old 08-02-2012, 11:22 AM

1,548 posts, read 2,435,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
I've noticed a lot of football players have very messy hair when they take their helmets off. It's disgraceful.! They should not be allowed to go on the field in front of all those people with messy hair..
The OP quite possibly set a new record in stupid posts... If you're watching athletic contest to criticize one's grooming, you are on the wrong channel. You should switch over to the Kardashians. They usually have their hair combed....
Oh wow, I'm not the OP, but even I took offense to your tone (you don't think that could have been said a little bit nicer?).

Your comparison doesn't even make sense for so many reasons that I won't bother listing.

In any case, if you've been trained in similar sports, you know that this is frowned upon. Then, to do it not only on a national but world stage, AND while representing our country, well...

To each their own, but the lack of other countries consistently doing it should tell you something, and the fact that even on the little national stage for which I was on I wasn't allowed to do it has instilled in me that it's not appropriate. But that's just my experience and 2 cents talking. As I said, to each their own.

I bet that the people that are okay with this would also wear flip flops to dinner at the White House. Whatever floats your boat. I certainly won't judge, but would I agree with it? No.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I hope this helps.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:30 AM

19,022 posts, read 24,792,615 times
Quote:
Sports and glamour go hand in hand.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I didn't see Anyone have link to pictures?
The Many Messy Buns of Women’s Gymnastics -- The Cut

I do see from the slideshow that a couple non-Americans sported the messy hair as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or