U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2012, 01:12 PM

13,292 posts, read 10,113,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
And you know the OP isn't an athlete ... how?

Because they would have more respect for the outcome than put so much emphasis on the packaging

And they spend a bit of time in front of the mirror, too, before their competition, because they wear a ton of makeup and put glitter in their hair. Securing their hair to make nicer lines during their performances would have taken another 10 seconds.

Please tell us all which gold medal winner did that?

If a male gymnast had his hair flopping all over the place, I'd notice, too, how the hair ruined the total performance.
Did you notice anything about the beach volleyball women in their underwear in 50 degree weather? Or were you all too busy hating on a 16 year old girl setting records with unkemped hair?

Old 08-06-2012, 01:13 PM

19,022 posts, read 24,711,232 times
At the end of this cat fight, the crocodile will issue a gold, silver and bronze medal apiece to the three divas with the sloppiest "ponybuns".

Old 08-06-2012, 01:22 PM

13,292 posts, read 10,113,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
2 to 3 hours? Good grief no. Putting one's hair up takes 10 minutes, if that, and with practice you can do it in much less with your eyes closed. Shoot, I've been out of ballet since college and I can still slap my hair into a bun in about three minutes. And Jordyn Wieber wore a sleek ponytail. I doubt she spent 2 to 3 hours on her hair. Just pull the loop all the way through, brush it out, maybe spritz it with something, and there you go!

I do believe Ballet and gymnastics on a world stage are in two entirely different classes, on is primarily art and beauty and the latter is more atheletics

The Olympics are a world-class event. The judges wear business attire, and photographs of the event will exist forever. There's no reason to look like you just fell out of bed, or that you're running to the 7-Eleven on a Saturday morning for coffee and a newspaper. Furthermore, gymnasts can be docked for attire reasons, so obviously they care how the girls look. OK, we can win while looking sloppy, but is that really something to be proud of?

I guess that you rather she had a perm or some sort of other chemicals in her hair so that she can appear more "likeable" to the masses. You have to admit this one fact, the only people that noticed this or made any kind of fuss about it were woman

Old 08-06-2012, 01:27 PM

23,618 posts, read 31,208,083 times
Do we really have nothing better to complain about than the non-descript hairstyles sported by our GOLD MEDAL WINNING female gymnasts?

Old 08-06-2012, 01:29 PM

25,907 posts, read 35,027,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I guess that you rather she had a perm or some sort of other chemicals in her hair so that she can appear more "likeable" to the masses. You have to admit this one fact, the only people that noticed this or made any kind of fuss about it were woman
Who is this "she" you keep mentioning? Do you think I am talking about one person in particular?

Who perms hair and then puts it up in a bun? That's odd.

The posts from guys about gymnasts on this board almost universally talk about different buns, if you know what I mean. If you prefer those, OK.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:32 PM

31,223 posts, read 57,391,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Please tell us all which gold medal winner did that?
Please tell us where anyone is limiting the conversation to gold medal winners in particular?

Quote:
At the end of this cat fight, the crocodile will issue a gold, silver and bronze medal apiece to the three divas with the sloppiest "ponybuns".
I keep my hair cropped short; sorry.

Which is something these little girls might consider.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:32 PM

9,535 posts, read 13,377,961 times
Some people might consider it sloppy, but it is a 'look', a purposeful one at that.
Just because you don't like the way it looks doesn't mean these girls don't care about their appearance.
Bowlcuts, shags, mohawks, asymmetrical razor cuts? Jeez my mom gave me heck over my hair in the seventies because I wore it straight and parted down the middle, as was the style. My mom hated it and said it was "lazy" too.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:14 PM

12,411 posts, read 15,957,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Okay, once again, you are not reading the thread clearly, singlelady.
No one is "obsessed."
No one would hold females to any different standard than males. Males with messy hair would warrant this same kind of observation and comments.
We merely made this "observation" about the female gymnists.
Gymnastics is a sport, unlike other sports, where appearance and presentation are part of the performance.

They obviously cared a gret deal about their appearance, with the very detailed, heavy makeup they wore. So if they had no makeup and sloppy hair, that would have all fit together under performance being more important than appearance.
Many of them also had numerous little hair clips in their hair, so that evidently cared about hair on one part of their head looking sloppy, while not caring about the hair in the ponytail looking sloppy.

The only thing I will admit being wrong on is that some of us thought it was just the American gymnists who had sloppy hair. Now I see it was other countries as well. Frankly, in my pro-US bias for the Games, I tend to only really pay attention to our athletes (unless it's someone really cool like Bolt or Pistorius) and flick around when the others are on, so I missed it.
I think you're incorrect. You would not find a group of men criticizing men's sports players because of their hair.

Most women I know who are successful were not at all attentive to beauty on their way up. They figured that they could pay someone for that later in life when they made their fortunes, or that it is easy to learn and they'd catch up later.

I think most girls who I grew up with who had a fixation on appearances were losers later in life. Most women attend to their chosen purpose in life first and only if there is time later and they so desire, makeup and hair. It is a silly thing for mostly shallow minds or very young girls who have not decided what to do with their lives - certainly NOT at all times, but very often. It is not a very productive use of time.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:16 PM

907 posts, read 1,314,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Please tell us where anyone is limiting the conversation to gold medal winners in particular?

I keep my hair cropped short; sorry.

Which is something these little girls might consider.

If it was my choice I wouldn't cut my hair for the Olympics. If the hair is not in my way, I don't care. Their hair is not preventing from doing what they have to do and get done. Their hair was messy and guess what, they won the first gold medal as a team since 1996.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:55 PM

4,219 posts, read 4,571,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Okay, once again, you are not reading the thread clearly, singlelady.
No one is "obsessed."
No one would hold females to any different standard than males. Males with messy hair would warrant this same kind of observation and comments.
We merely made this "observation" about the female gymnists.
Gymnastics is a sport, unlike other sports, where appearance and presentation are part of the performance.

They obviously cared a gret deal about their appearance, with the very detailed, heavy makeup they wore. So if they had no makeup and sloppy hair, that would have all fit together under performance being more important than appearance.
Many of them also had numerous little hair clips in their hair, so that evidently cared about hair on one part of their head looking sloppy, while not caring about the hair in the ponytail looking sloppy.

The only thing I will admit being wrong on is that some of us thought it was just the American gymnists who had sloppy hair. Now I see it was other countries as well. Frankly, in my pro-US bias for the Games, I tend to only really pay attention to our athletes (unless it's someone really cool like Bolt or Pistorius) and flick around when the others are on, so I missed it.
If that's the case, where is the thread about male athletes with messy hair? The reason for the hair clips is so their hair doesn't interfere with their performance, not a fashion statement. I think I read the post very clear and it's still a shame to try to put ANY negative attention on athletes that do what many of us dream of doing.

No, it's not obvious they care about their appearance more than the performance. If their hair was such a big deal, isn't it obvious the coaches would have ripped them one? I think so. They could just have on makeup because they are required to have it on. My daughter does comptetive cheer and most of the teams are REQUIRED to wear it regardless of how they choose to wear it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or