U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 06:13 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,687,871 times

Advertisements

I have naturally oily, but dehydrated skin. That's not a t-zone problem like some teenagers have; it's ALL oily, and it's ALL dehydrated. Plenty of oil, not enough water.

I used to have the same problem you have, michegansnowflake, til I learned how to wash my face at night, and how to treat my face in the morning. Having oily skin is a -good- thing. You want oily skin. You don't want to strip the oil from your skin. But your skin needs to be cleansed -and- nourished, or you end up with zits. Zits aren't the result of oily skin. They're the result of DIRTY oily skin. Acne isn't the result of either; it's a systemic problem.

I found Clinique to be the single most irritating brand of products I've ever put on my skin, ever. It caused my skin to dry out and get flakey, because of all the dried out caked up oil. I got whiteheads, and blackheads, and my makeup looked splotchy after a couple of hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 05:43 PM

2,638 posts, read 10,514,139 times
Zits are not caused by dirty oily skin. Zits are a symptom of the keratinization disorder called acne. This is why retinoids are effective - they normalize keratinization. The dirt thing is a myth.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:54 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,518,310 times
One good thing about this will be that you will stay looking young much longer than those who do not have oily skin.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:51 PM

21,501 posts, read 22,749,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
Zits are not caused by dirty oily skin. Zits are a symptom of the keratinization disorder called acne. This is why retinoids are effective - they normalize keratinization. The dirt thing is a myth.
Right, and I don't know if it's the same with the OP-- I have really oily skin but I don't have acne at all other than the occasional zit around that time of the month. I've just accepted that blotting is part of my day.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 08-09-2012 at 07:10 PM..

Old 08-09-2012, 07:06 PM

8,957 posts, read 17,029,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
I am 37 years old and I suffer from embarrassingly oily skin. I carry Kleenex and rice paper around with me and am constantly blotting my skin throughout the day. I have been told by some aestheticians that I have extremely oily skin. Iíve been told by others that I have very dry skin that I over-cleanse due to my tendency to get acne and I, therefore, am making my face oily. I do live in the desert where daily humidity levels run about 15%.
Common cause of oily skin........
Excessive oiliness can also be due to:

The humidity levels
Cosmetics or birth control pills
Hormonal imbalance
Pregnancy
Diet intake

Oily Skin Causes and Treatment

Old 03-07-2013, 04:39 PM

1 posts, read 527 times
Hi redjan1225, In your post you mentioned seeing a dermatologist when you were younger. I had a similar problem with oily skin as an adult and saw my GP and then a dermatologist at age 35. I had blood tests to check my hormone levels. They found the levels of male hormone were too high. I was referred to an endocrinologist who prescribed a medication for this. My hormone levels are now within average levels, and my skin is normal! (It used to be horribly oily and smelly, and I felt the urge to cleanse several times a day. Now I cleanse gently morning and night. Break-outs are greatly reduced and no more shine.) The dermatologist mentioned that many people believe that diet "causes" oily skin or acne. However, it is a lot more complicated than that. Hormones play an important role: how much your body produces of the various types and how sensitive the oil-producing cells in your skin are to them. Of course, I'm not a dermatologist, but I think it would be worth having a chat to your doctor. I believe many women who have PCOS have been diagnosed this way. Best of luck, Sarah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty