U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 08-03-2012, 03:11 PM
 
Location: Arizona
1,034 posts, read 3,729,148 times
Reputation: 1346

Advertisements

I am 37 years old and I suffer from embarrassingly oily skin. I carry Kleenex and rice paper around with me and am constantly blotting my skin throughout the day. I have been told by some aestheticians that I have extremely oily skin. I’ve been told by others that I have very dry skin that I over-cleanse due to my tendency to get acne and I, therefore, am making my face oily. I do live in the desert where daily humidity levels run about 15%.
My habits:
Cleansing: In the morning, I use all-natural goat milk bar soap with tea tree oil. The soap is free from dyes and chemicals. I love the smell of tea tree oil. I follow with a toner by Alba that contains witch hazel. I can be acne prone. Then I use a daily, oil free moisturizer with SPF, usually Oil of Olay. In the evening, I use the Acne Free cleanser to wash away all my makeup. I follow with the same toner. I use a thicker moisturizer at night, usually a rose oil moisturizer. Every other night, I use a retinol product for my newly sprouted wrinkles, enlarged pores and old acne scarring.
My makeup:
I use Jane Iredale pure pressed minerals and have used them for about 7 years now. This is a powder, not a liquid and it acts as base, concealer, and finishing powder in one. While I love the coverage this makeup provides, my oiliness causes most of the makeup to dissipate by the end of my day.
My diet:
I am an absolute believer in what you put in your body being reflected in your appearance on the outside. Since April, I have been on a very clean diet of no gluten, dairy, caffeine (with the exception of green tea) and sugar. I eat tons of veggies and juice veggies several times a week. I only drink purified water or unsweetened iced green tea, no fruit juices, definitely no soda or other sugary drinks. I have only seen my skin get more oily since starting my clean diet.
Does anyone have any advice as to how to reduce the amount of oil on my face? Is the astringent in the morning overkill? I was taught by aestheticians and dermatologists when I was growing up and battling acne that using a toner after cleansing closes the pores to prevent dirt from getting in, but maybe the philosophy has changed. In browsing similar threads, I read several people recommending a face-washing only once per day. I’ve washed my face twice daily my entire life. I love the refreshing feel of tea tree in the morning and have to wash my makeup off at night. Unfortunately, my tea tree soap does not remove makeup or I’d use it exclusively.
I appreciate your thoughts. Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-03-2012, 04:09 PM
 
Location: In a house
13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times
Reputation: 20198
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
I am 37 years old and I suffer from embarrassingly oily skin. I carry Kleenex and rice paper around with me and am constantly blotting my skin throughout the day. I have been told by some aestheticians that I have extremely oily skin. Iíve been told by others that I have very dry skin that I over-cleanse due to my tendency to get acne and I, therefore, am making my face oily. I do live in the desert where daily humidity levels run about 15%.
My habits:
Cleansing: In the morning, I use all-natural goat milk bar soap with tea tree oil. The soap is free from dyes and chemicals. I love the smell of tea tree oil. I follow with a toner by Alba that contains witch hazel. I can be acne prone. Then I use a daily, oil free moisturizer with SPF, usually Oil of Olay. In the evening, I use the Acne Free cleanser to wash away all my makeup. I follow with the same toner. I use a thicker moisturizer at night, usually a rose oil moisturizer. Every other night, I use a retinol product for my newly sprouted wrinkles, enlarged pores and old acne scarring.
My makeup:
I use Jane Iredale pure pressed minerals and have used them for about 7 years now. This is a powder, not a liquid and it acts as base, concealer, and finishing powder in one. While I love the coverage this makeup provides, my oiliness causes most of the makeup to dissipate by the end of my day.
My diet:
I am an absolute believer in what you put in your body being reflected in your appearance on the outside. Since April, I have been on a very clean diet of no gluten, dairy, caffeine (with the exception of green tea) and sugar. I eat tons of veggies and juice veggies several times a week. I only drink purified water or unsweetened iced green tea, no fruit juices, definitely no soda or other sugary drinks. I have only seen my skin get more oily since starting my clean diet.
Does anyone have any advice as to how to reduce the amount of oil on my face? Is the astringent in the morning overkill? I was taught by aestheticians and dermatologists when I was growing up and battling acne that using a toner after cleansing closes the pores to prevent dirt from getting in, but maybe the philosophy has changed. In browsing similar threads, I read several people recommending a face-washing only once per day. Iíve washed my face twice daily my entire life. I love the refreshing feel of tea tree in the morning and have to wash my makeup off at night. Unfortunately, my tea tree soap does not remove makeup or Iíd use it exclusively.
I appreciate your thoughts. Thank you.
Stop washing your face in the morning. You washed it last night; what did you do between then and this morning that caused your face to get *dirty?* Soap is for removing dirt. You're stripping your epidermis of oil, causing the oil glands to go into overtime to replace it all. Also, if your tea tree soap doesn't wash off makeup, stop using it. Makeup is "dirt" on your skin. Soap exists to remove dirt. If your soap can't remove dirt, then you're wasting your money on it.

You also don't need an astringent twice a day. Your SPF moisturizer in the morning might also be contributing to the oil problem; sunscreens are notorious for that.

My prescription for you:

Invest in Clarin's "Gentle Eye Makeup Remover." Or - beg the lady at the Clarin's counter to pour you a sample, so you can try it first at home.

Use it ONLY to take off eye makup - do not use it to wipe off the rest of your makeup, no matter how tempting. Use a cotton ball and a few drops of the liquid, and pat against the eyesocket, holding it for a second or two. This will loosen the makeup so you can then gently swipe it away. Clarins' is great because it doesn't sting if it gets in your eyes. You can just rinse it out, if it does, with some tepid water.

Then - use a mild facial cleanser - something like Kiss My Face, or even Clarin's Cleansing Milk.

Use a washcloth with the cleanser, but don't scrub hard. Scrub, but - fairly gently, and evenly from hairline to neck and ears.

Rinse off with tepid (not warm) water. Pat dry with a fresh towel.

You can use a toner, but you probably don't need it. If you choose to use a toner, you could try pouring it in a spritzer bottle, and spritzing your face from around 8 inches away, then patting it dry with a fresh cottonball.

Then add a couple of drops of non-SPF, non-medicated moisturizer. Once again - clarins makes a few good ones but they are strongly scented and you might be sensitive. Avoid anything with petroleum, petrolatum, mineral oil (all 3 are the same thing), or lanolin. Origins has a few decent choices, plus they'll usually let you have a few day's worth of samples. If it has jojoba oil, awesome. Another thing you -might- try - is just 2 drops of olive oil, right from the kitchen cabinet. Smudge them between your fingers, and pat your fingers gently over your skin, avoiding the eyes. Then lightly massage your face, from the nose out to the ears, in an upward sweeping motion ending in circles against your temples. Blot with an unpowdered tissue to get the excess off.

The above should be your -nightly- routine.

In the morning, rinse your face with tepid or even cold water, pat dry (never wipe it dry), and apply a couple of drops of moisturizer. Avoid sunscreen on your face for now, wear a sun visor if you need to be out in the sun longer than 20 minutes. The sun -can- clear up some of that acne, but you don't want to promote a sunburn because that's obviously dangerous.

All of this might make you break out even more, for a few days. If it starts to clear up after 4 days, then let it, and keep doing this routine for another week. If you see signs of improvement, then you've hit a winning combination.

Also, if you're not consuming much in the way of fats, you might want to add some to your diet. Nuts are an excellent choice if you're not allergic.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2012, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Philaburbia
31,152 posts, read 57,274,608 times
Reputation: 52008
Take heart. In 30 years you won't have as many wrinkles as women with dry skin.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2012, 02:59 AM
 
1,055 posts, read 2,053,388 times
Reputation: 1216
Don't use moisturizer anymore unless your skin really needs it. I stopped and my skin has cleared soooo much. Use a good toner that doesn't leave skin tight. Don't use medicated cleansers. Stop using tea tree oil products for a while and see what happens. Yes, it is geared towards acne but your skin might not like it. I heard that bar soaps weren't good for skin, so try using one that isn't in bar form for a bit as well. The toner that you use is good (if it is the Alba Hawaiian toner). But, it does have papaya (or pineapple, I can't remember) enzyme in it so using that with a medicated cleanser may make your skin angry.

My routine:
Cleanse: Lush Coalface or Desert Essence for morning Kiehl's Cleansing Milk for Night
Tone: Vichy, Boot's Complexion toner, or Burt's Bee's Rosewater toner

I also use face masks 1-2 times a week to get rid of extra oil.

Overall, I think your main issue is just the moisturizers. They can be too thick and moisturizing for oily skin (especially in cream form). I had issues with Oil of Olay making my face oily as well. If you can find a moisturizer in gel form that would be great.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2012, 05:41 AM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
2,638 posts, read 10,493,004 times
Reputation: 3536
I tried many different methods of reducing oil and nothing ever really helped significantly except Accutane. Not something that you should consider unless your acne is pretty bad, but oil is not all bad. It is common for acne-prone skins to be both dry and oily at the same time, especially if you use drying products.

Switch to a gentle cleanser like Purpose or Cetaphil that cleans without stripping. You do need to use it in the morning to remove the retinoids that you apply at night as well as in the evening to remove makeup. Do not completely forgo moisturizer - but pick a light weight one that absorbs easily. I like Neutrogena's oil free version, it is a light lotion. Drop the astringents, they are irritating and ineffective. Continue to use your retinoid at night as it is one of the only proven ways to keep pores clear when you are acne prone. It greatly increases sun sensitivity so do not skip sunscreen during the day. However, do consider the active ingredients in your sunscreen. Acne-prone skin that is treated with retinoids can be quite sensitive. Personally, I can not tolerate the "chemical" sunscreens and can only use the "physical" ones. The only active sunscreen ingredients that I can use are zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. The Oil of Olay sensitive skin formula with sunscreen contains a chemical sunscreen that irritates my skin over time. I switched to a Neutrogena product that is 50SPF. Seems like overkill, but it has only the physical sunscreens, it absorbs quickly, is not greasy, and doesn't leave a pale cast on my skin. Unfortunately it smells icky, but that fades away once it is dry. An oil reducing primer under your makeup can help to keep it from melting off during the day, Shiseido makes a good one. Also make sure that the sunscreen is completely absorbed and dry before you apply your makeup. Since you use a powder product you can carry that with you during the day to touch up, or just load up one of those retractable brushes and carry that instead of the entire jar.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2012, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Palm Beach Gardens, Fla
1,889 posts, read 6,984,982 times
Reputation: 1525
Use an oil mattifier. Find a brand that works for you. Nothing I wash my face with will stop it from being oily. It's what I apply to my skin afterward that makes a difference. Mattifiers go on like a lotion and dry to a clear, matte finish. I don't wear any foundation or powder- this is all I need. I use a pea sized amount and I'm great for 8 hours. I use Mary Kay oil mattifier. I have to purchase it in bulk because I haven't found a comparable drugstore or makeup counter brand yet. I swear by this stuff.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2012, 10:24 AM
 
Location: On The Road Full Time RVing
2,342 posts, read 2,785,721 times
Reputation: 2214
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
I am 37 years old and I suffer from embarrassingly oily skin. I carry Kleenex and rice paper around with me and am constantly blotting my skin throughout the day. I have been told by some aestheticians that I have extremely oily skin. Iíve been told by others that I have very dry skin that I over-cleanse due to my tendency to get acne and I, therefore, am making my face oily. I do live in the desert where daily humidity levels run about 15%.
My habits:
Cleansing: In the morning, I use all-natural goat milk bar soap with tea tree oil. The soap is free from dyes and chemicals. I love the smell of tea tree oil. I follow with a toner by Alba that contains witch hazel. I can be acne prone. Then I use a daily, oil free moisturizer with SPF, usually Oil of Olay. In the evening, I use the Acne Free cleanser to wash away all my makeup. I follow with the same toner. I use a thicker moisturizer at night, usually a rose oil moisturizer. Every other night, I use a retinol product for my newly sprouted wrinkles, enlarged pores and old acne scarring.
My makeup:
I use Jane Iredale pure pressed minerals and have used them for about 7 years now. This is a powder, not a liquid and it acts as base, concealer, and finishing powder in one. While I love the coverage this makeup provides, my oiliness causes most of the makeup to dissipate by the end of my day.
My diet:
I am an absolute believer in what you put in your body being reflected in your appearance on the outside. Since April, I have been on a very clean diet of no gluten, dairy, caffeine (with the exception of green tea) and sugar. I eat tons of veggies and juice veggies several times a week. I only drink purified water or unsweetened iced green tea, no fruit juices, definitely no soda or other sugary drinks. I have only seen my skin get more oily since starting my clean diet.
Does anyone have any advice as to how to reduce the amount of oil on my face? Is the astringent in the morning overkill? I was taught by aestheticians and dermatologists when I was growing up and battling acne that using a toner after cleansing closes the pores to prevent dirt from getting in, but maybe the philosophy has changed. In browsing similar threads, I read several people recommending a face-washing only once per day. Iíve washed my face twice daily my entire life. I love the refreshing feel of tea tree in the morning and have to wash my makeup off at night. Unfortunately, my tea tree soap does not remove makeup or Iíd use it exclusively.
I appreciate your thoughts. Thank you.
Can not read and will not try because you write to small ... hard on eyes.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2012, 04:06 PM
 
Location: Arizona
1,034 posts, read 3,729,148 times
Reputation: 1346
My apologies for the small print. Not sure how that happened but thanks for those that took the time to read and reply to my post anyway.

I wash my face in the a.m. because, despite washing it the night before, my face shared my pillow with my hair for 8 hours. I use products on my hair and while I wash my pillow cases a minimum of once per week, I still feel I need to do something mild in terms of skin care in the morning. I will try a milder program using some natural products I love already, like olive and jojoba oils. I feel that I do need to continue to use some sort of SPF due to my use of retinol, but may have to put more faith in my mineral makeup and limit my separate SPF lotion usage to those days I know I'll be in the direct sun.

Thanks all for the recommendations.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2012, 04:11 PM
 
Location: Arizona
1,034 posts, read 3,729,148 times
Reputation: 1346
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
I tried many different methods of reducing oil and nothing ever really helped significantly except Accutane. Not something that you should consider unless your acne is pretty bad, but oil is not all bad. It is common for acne-prone skins to be both dry and oily at the same time, especially if you use drying products.

Switch to a gentle cleanser like Purpose or Cetaphil that cleans without stripping. You do need to use it in the morning to remove the retinoids that you apply at night as well as in the evening to remove makeup. Do not completely forgo moisturizer - but pick a light weight one that absorbs easily. I like Neutrogena's oil free version, it is a light lotion. Drop the astringents, they are irritating and ineffective. Continue to use your retinoid at night as it is one of the only proven ways to keep pores clear when you are acne prone. It greatly increases sun sensitivity so do not skip sunscreen during the day. However, do consider the active ingredients in your sunscreen. Acne-prone skin that is treated with retinoids can be quite sensitive. Personally, I can not tolerate the "chemical" sunscreens and can only use the "physical" ones. The only active sunscreen ingredients that I can use are zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. The Oil of Olay sensitive skin formula with sunscreen contains a chemical sunscreen that irritates my skin over time. I switched to a Neutrogena product that is 50SPF. Seems like overkill, but it has only the physical sunscreens, it absorbs quickly, is not greasy, and doesn't leave a pale cast on my skin. Unfortunately it smells icky, but that fades away once it is dry. An oil reducing primer under your makeup can help to keep it from melting off during the day, Shiseido makes a good one. Also make sure that the sunscreen is completely absorbed and dry before you apply your makeup. Since you use a powder product you can carry that with you during the day to touch up, or just load up one of those retractable brushes and carry that instead of the entire jar.
Thank you for your advice. I did a 6 month Accutane program 10 years ago with successful treatment of my cystic acne. I'd never do it again due to the side effects.

I will look in to Neutrogena products for a lightweight SPF. Thank you again!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2012, 04:47 PM
 
Location: Charlevoix
750 posts, read 2,445,748 times
Reputation: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Stop washing your face in the morning. You washed it last night; what did you do between then and this morning that caused your face to get *dirty?* Soap is for removing dirt. You're stripping your epidermis of oil, causing the oil glands to go into overtime to replace it all. Also, if your tea tree soap doesn't wash off makeup, stop using it. Makeup is "dirt" on your skin. Soap exists to remove dirt. If your soap can't remove dirt, then you're wasting your money on it.

You also don't need an astringent twice a day. Your SPF moisturizer in the morning might also be contributing to the oil problem; sunscreens are notorious for that.

My prescription for you:

Invest in Clarin's "Gentle Eye Makeup Remover." Or - beg the lady at the Clarin's counter to pour you a sample, so you can try it first at home.

Use it ONLY to take off eye makup - do not use it to wipe off the rest of your makeup, no matter how tempting. Use a cotton ball and a few drops of the liquid, and pat against the eyesocket, holding it for a second or two. This will loosen the makeup so you can then gently swipe it away. Clarins' is great because it doesn't sting if it gets in your eyes. You can just rinse it out, if it does, with some tepid water.

Then - use a mild facial cleanser - something like Kiss My Face, or even Clarin's Cleansing Milk.

Use a washcloth with the cleanser, but don't scrub hard. Scrub, but - fairly gently, and evenly from hairline to neck and ears.

Rinse off with tepid (not warm) water. Pat dry with a fresh towel.

You can use a toner, but you probably don't need it. If you choose to use a toner, you could try pouring it in a spritzer bottle, and spritzing your face from around 8 inches away, then patting it dry with a fresh cottonball.

Then add a couple of drops of non-SPF, non-medicated moisturizer. Once again - clarins makes a few good ones but they are strongly scented and you might be sensitive. Avoid anything with petroleum, petrolatum, mineral oil (all 3 are the same thing), or lanolin. Origins has a few decent choices, plus they'll usually let you have a few day's worth of samples. If it has jojoba oil, awesome. Another thing you -might- try - is just 2 drops of olive oil, right from the kitchen cabinet. Smudge them between your fingers, and pat your fingers gently over your skin, avoiding the eyes. Then lightly massage your face, from the nose out to the ears, in an upward sweeping motion ending in circles against your temples. Blot with an unpowdered tissue to get the excess off.

The above should be your -nightly- routine.

In the morning, rinse your face with tepid or even cold water, pat dry (never wipe it dry), and apply a couple of drops of moisturizer. Avoid sunscreen on your face for now, wear a sun visor if you need to be out in the sun longer than 20 minutes. The sun -can- clear up some of that acne, but you don't want to promote a sunburn because that's obviously dangerous.

All of this might make you break out even more, for a few days. If it starts to clear up after 4 days, then let it, and keep doing this routine for another week. If you see signs of improvement, then you've hit a winning combination.

Also, if you're not consuming much in the way of fats, you might want to add some to your diet. Nuts are an excellent choice if you're not allergic.



Boy do I disagree with that statement. I, too, have extremely oily skin and I am an oil slick some mornings when I wake up. I need to wash it off.

My eyelids sweat

I, too, have to blot and de- grease several times a day. Its been soo much worse with the hot weather this summer.

I am 46.....still so greasy, oy!


I have found the holy grail for MY skin. Cliniques 3 step ance solution along with the spot treatment gel. My face has become so much less oily. Its texture and general appearence have greatly improved. Go read about the line and the reviews. Maybe it would help you out.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top