U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 02:50 PM

345 posts, read 1,425,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsHell View Post
Did you doctor not help you when your first got them?

My doctor's office actually put them in for me, then taught me how to put them in and remove them. I had to sit there until I could do it myself. I had both gas-perm lenses and soft until I got LASIK a few years back.

Good luck, it takes practice and you have to want it, otherwise you can't bring yourself to poke yourself in the eye.
when (1 week ago) i first ordered the contacts, the assistant helped me get one in and then out (a sample they had)... when I picked them up yesterday, no one was on that could sit with me for a few minutes...i can see them tomorrow and sit for a while, it just wasn't a good day today or last night. I thought i would just try myself since I did sit with them last week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I use a really strong magnifying mirror with lights and it helps me.
I am buying one tomorrow (on my way to doc's office). By the end of my session last night with my bathroom mirror (and my daughter trying to help) i could no longer tell if it was inside out or right side in lol!! it fell a couple times into the sink, I "put" it in my lower lash, really kind of funny. I think i'll just wait till tomorrow and not try again tonight/today.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:10 PM

21,416 posts, read 29,529,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momoffive View Post
I am buying one tomorrow (on my way to doc's office). By the end of my session last night with my bathroom mirror (and my daughter trying to help) i could no longer tell if it was inside out or right side in lol!! it fell a couple times into the sink, I "put" it in my lower lash, really kind of funny. I think i'll just wait till tomorrow and not try again tonight/today.
You will be amazed at the difference it makes! If you have a Ulta store, they one that is great, strong magnification with lights.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:26 PM

4,968 posts, read 13,993,226 times
I wore glasses for 7 years, wore hard contacts for about 3 years, and gas perm lenses for 17 years. Had LASIK surgery in 2002 on both eyes and the left eye redone three months later as it wasn't corrected that well. Went back for another LASIK touch up in summer of 2006. There wasn't enough corneal tissue to redo the left eye again, so they just fixed the right eye. I now wear one soft lens in my left eye.

I had no problem putting my gas perm or hard lenses in my eye, and no problems removing them. But hard and gas perm lenses were not as comfortable as my soft lense and the hard and gas perm lenses would pop out more often. I was told by an optometrist that only 20% of patients who are prescribed gas perm lenses could wear them comfortably. I chose gas perm over soft at the time because the soft lenses looked like a pain in the ***** to keep clean, plus I was told that the gas perm lenses would provide more oxygen to my eye. Soft lenses have certainly changed since back then. I have a helluva time getting the soft lens in my eye. Getting it out is no problem. The lens is so flexible that it wraps backward around the tip of my finger when I'm trying to put it in. I love my soft, disposable lens. Easy to take care of, easy to buy, and very comfortable.

Just in case anyone cares, I checked the prices for my Accuvue2 disposable contacts and found that Sam's Club was the cheapest. Costco was next, then Wal-Mart, ShopKo then Target. You don't need a membership to Sam's Club or Costco to buy your contacts there.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:43 PM

8,306 posts, read 3,195,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momoffive View Post
When a lens is right side in , you should be able to make it out from its shape. Hold it against light, and it should be like an upward facing dome..more like a "U" shape. When it is inside out, the edges are usually turned just a little bit outwards..

Old 10-03-2007, 07:27 PM

6,044 posts, read 21,125,101 times
IMO it is all about technique and has nothing to do with seeing them go into your eye. This is what I do:

Rinse the lens, then put in on your index finger.
Make sure the lens is moist but not so wet that there's a big puddle in the middle.
Use your free hand to pull down the skin/lower lid under your eye.
Look up, away from the lens.
Slowly and gently touch the lens to the bottom white part of the eye, above the lower lid. You don't need to see exactly where you are putting it.
Don't mush the lens against your eye. Gently touch it to your eye and then go a tiny bit further, so your finger is almost but not quite touching your eye through the lens. It should act almost like a suction cup and latch on.
Remove your finger, and close your eye for a brief moment. Don't blink rapidly just after it goes in or it may pop right back out.
Repeat for the other eye.

There's no excuse for uncomfortable lenses. Try a different brand. When I first started wearing lenses it took 3-4 brands before I found one I was comfortable with. Years later they discontinued my brand and it took another few tries before I found another one I liked. Most eye docs will rx the thinner kind (which most people prefer), but for some reason, my eyes like a thicker plastic lens.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:28 PM

13,432 posts, read 24,199,022 times
You can usually hear/feel the little squish sound they make when you get them in right. They sort of suck on to your eye. It's important to learn the difference in how the lens looks when it's inside out. A heavy duty magnifying mirror with a light will probably help you a lot. Eventually, you will be able to get them in and out anywhere. Just takes practice. You may want to ask if it's ok to use plain saline eye drops for a few days to make the lenses more comfortable while you are adjusting.

I wore lenses every day for years. Now I wear them for swimming and scuba diving. Or any time I just don't want to wear glasses.

Remember to wear good sunglasses. Contacts usually make your eyes more sensitive to sunlight.

Good luck!

Old 10-04-2007, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
You can usually hear/feel the little squish sound they make when you get them in right. They sort of suck on to your eye. It's important to learn the difference in how the lens looks when it's inside out. A heavy duty magnifying mirror with a light will probably help you a lot. Eventually, you will be able to get them in and out anywhere. Just takes practice. You may want to ask if it's ok to use plain saline eye drops for a few days to make the lenses more comfortable while you are adjusting.

I wore lenses every day for years. Now I wear them for swimming and scuba diving. Or any time I just don't want to wear glasses.

Remember to wear good sunglasses. Contacts usually make your eyes more sensitive to sunlight.

Good luck!
thanks, everyone!! i'm off to the store for a great light-up mirror and sunglasses!!! i really appreciate all your input! talk soon!

Old 10-04-2007, 09:30 AM

hey guys!! for the first time in my life, i am typing without eyeglasses on!! woohoo!! i bought the light-up mag. mirror. i worked on left eye for maybe 15 min. finally did it!! ouch at first, now fine. Right eye took about 15 minutes also (fell like 30 times) and now they are both in and are fine. the first eye seems to be a little sore while i cannot feel anything in the right.. does that mean i did something wrong to the left??

Old 10-04-2007, 09:49 AM

6,262 posts, read 16,959,107 times
Default taking them out!

I'm thankful for this thread. I used to wear contacts years ago and had no problems that I can recall. However last week I got them again and can get them in but not out! I had a panic atttack trying to get them out and had to go back to the doc and he took them out. Now my friends have told me horror stories about them getting stuck, etc and I'm afraid to try again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty