Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 05:56 PM

947 posts, read 1,642,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
I am a 26 year old male who recently got into mens fashion and I wish I could dress up more often. I work in the tech industry, in a very casual work setting, and will dress business casual usually. However, every week I have one day where I go all out with a blazer, dress shirt w/french cuffs, wool trousers, etc. It feels so good to dress up. I wish I could dress up more frequently, but my work setting isn't too amenable to that.
Love it. French cuffs, very nice! I am so glad to hear from 20-somethings. That shows there may be some hope to turn the trend around back to better dressing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 05:10 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,637,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
Love it. French cuffs, very nice! I am so glad to hear from 20-somethings. That shows there may be some hope to turn the trend around back to better dressing.

I have to admit, I get a lot of positive attention when I dress up, especially from women. Therefore, I really wouldn't mind if other guys continued to dress like slobs while I dressed well. More attention for me

Going to rock a new suit that I recently purchased on Monday. Pink/white striped dress shirt + off-pink tie + charcoal suit + nice captoe dress shoes + pocket square (maybe?) It's going to be legendary!!

Last edited by tonym9428; 08-10-2012 at 05:20 PM..

Old 08-10-2012, 06:41 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,418,502 times
Yeah for everyone who likes to dress up! Today I was on my job hunting expedition and had on what has turned into my favorite "Job Clothes Outfit" of all time. It's a gorgeous black eyelet skirt and a black eyelet top that fits like a dream. It feels so good to have on clothes that are cut and fit correctly!

Old 08-11-2012, 10:19 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
I have to admit, I get a lot of positive attention when I dress up, especially from women. Therefore, I really wouldn't mind if other guys continued to dress like slobs while I dressed well. More attention for me

Going to rock a new suit that I recently purchased on Monday. Pink/white striped dress shirt + off-pink tie + charcoal suit + nice captoe dress shoes + pocket square (maybe?) It's going to be legendary!!
Pics???

Old 08-11-2012, 12:14 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,380,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I liked dressing up, in the formal event sense of dressing up. I like dressing casually. Business casual, however, sucks. The worst clothing choices on the planet.
As a guy, I can say the same thing. You'll either see me in jeans and a button up shirt or fitted wool dress pants with a dress shirt.

I despise "khakis", "dockers" or whatever they're called...

As someone said earlier, good fit makes such a big difference. A decent pair of shined shoes, matching belt and a properly tied tie are details that add up too.

Who wants to look like Al Bundy?

Old 08-11-2012, 12:48 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
When I started working it was expected that I dress up for work. Every white collar worker did and the rule was to always dress for the position you desire, not the position you currently held.

We'd dress up for dinner dates and wouldn't be caught dead wearing a sundress and flip flops to a formal evening wedding or bridal shower.

It seems that things began to change in the 1990's and have gone down hill ever since (IMO). My first career was in fashion buying and we all looked like we walked off of the pages of Vogue or Elle Magazine. Even the sales associates dressed up. Now I work as a consultant to various industries (e.g. finanical, IT, non-profits, etc.) and I am floored to see female VPs wearing stretch pants, flip flops and casual t-shirts to work. Male VPs who wear sneakers and jeans on a regular basis. The only way you might get tipped off these days to their position is if they are wearing a very expensive watch.

Dating meant you dressed for the function - a nice dress (female)/dress slacks and sports coat (male) for dinner dates. You wore jeans for sports activities and movies. Same if you went to a wedding and if it was a formal evening wedding, women wore cocktail dresses and men wore suits.

For me, the pendulum has swung too far to the casual side. Is it just me or am I the only one who misses dressing up on a regular basis.

You don't HAVE to miss dressing up I haven't read any of the other responses but here is my take- even if your work environment is 'casual' it doesn't mean that you have to dress casually. I've found that in the past, if I put an effort into my appearance, even if others don't, I a) get more attention / respect and b) some of the people around me start putting forth more of an effort in their daily outfits.

I adamantly refuse to follow the modern 'way' of things by dressing down. The only time you'll see me in sweats and a tshirt is when I'm walking / jogging / at the gym. Even if it's just to the grocery store, I wear a pair of nice shoes, a nice skirt outfit or dress. It is rare that I even wear jeans!

I realize that for a 20-something year old I'm not the 'norm' but who wants to be normal?

What I'm trying to say is... just because the rest of the world is dressing down, doesn't mean you have to. Dress up! Do your hair and makeup each and every day. Put on nice earrings and stylish, freshly laundered and ironed clothes no matter where you'll be going... it will make a world of difference to your personal perception of yourself and even make the others around you think they should follow suit!

Good Luck & STAY GLAMOROUS!!!

-xA

P.S. My husband ALWAYS wears button up shirts and long pants (plus a nice jacket- NOT a hoodie when the weather calls for it). The only time he'll ever wear daggy tshirts/ jeans/ shorts is at the Gym or working out OR working underneath the hood of his car!

Old 08-11-2012, 01:19 PM

105 posts, read 199,760 times
I enjoy wearing well-fitting clothing that flatters me on a daily basis. While it may mean that I'm dressed up more than most of my co-workers, I'm doing it because I want to look my best. Most of the super casual clothes aren't flattering on anyone.

Then again, I'd be lying if I said I hadn't made runs to the local big box home improvement stores a mess while in the middle of working- so I'm not one of those who has to be flawless 100% of the time.

I firmly believe that people should wear what makes them feel best, as long as it's reasonably acceptable (ie no swimwear in a white-collar cube farm environment).

Clothing trends change from era to era. We just happen to be in a casual era. The pendulum will shift again.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:43 PM

947 posts, read 1,642,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
You don't HAVE to miss dressing up I haven't read any of the other responses but here is my take- even if your work environment is 'casual' it doesn't mean that you have to dress casually. I've found that in the past, if I put an effort into my appearance, even if others don't, I a) get more attention / respect and b) some of the people around me start putting forth more of an effort in their daily outfits.

I adamantly refuse to follow the modern 'way' of things by dressing down. The only time you'll see me in sweats and a tshirt is when I'm walking / jogging / at the gym. Even if it's just to the grocery store, I wear a pair of nice shoes, a nice skirt outfit or dress. It is rare that I even wear jeans!

I realize that for a 20-something year old I'm not the 'norm' but who wants to be normal?

What I'm trying to say is... just because the rest of the world is dressing down, doesn't mean you have to. Dress up! Do your hair and makeup each and every day. Put on nice earrings and stylish, freshly laundered and ironed clothes no matter where you'll be going... it will make a world of difference to your personal perception of yourself and even make the others around you think they should follow suit!

Good Luck & STAY GLAMOROUS!!!

-xA

P.S. My husband ALWAYS wears button up shirts and long pants (plus a nice jacket- NOT a hoodie when the weather calls for it). The only time he'll ever wear daggy tshirts/ jeans/ shorts is at the Gym or working out OR working underneath the hood of his car!

I do dress up, however, it does come with a price... some colleagues see this as a sign of snobbery (btw I could care less about that personally but I know others whose skin isn't as thick) or when I show up to a Saturday evening wedding reception and while I am wearing a simple cocktail dress and I am considered over dressed compared to the mothers of the bride and groom who underdressed. Etiquette says you should never outshine the bride or the wedding party.

Also as noted by myself and others, it's not just how we dress but how others dress as well. Nothing kills a romantic evening quicker when you are dressed up for a dinner date and your date isn't or you go to a nice restaurant and those at the next table are in sports attire- kills the ambiance. Lastly, in the work environment, it's becoming increasingly difficult to know who are the key players (bosses, VPs, etc.) because they are extremely dressed down too.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:30 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,242,236 times
My mother was a fashion plate and a bit of a clothes horse, with great taste... so I went the other way. I hate "dressing up" and pretty much no one in our set does it, so it would be a weird thing to do .... but my casual clothes all fit well and look good on me.

I am adult. As such, I don't wear cartoon t-shirts or funny t-shirts or sport team uniform shirts. I wear polo shirts or plain or patterned jersey knit shirts.

I also don't wear running shoes unless I am working or exercising.

With nice earrings and a necklace, and a little makeup -- I think I look good and casual.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:34 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,627,477 times
I don't dress up for anything. Dressing nicely is just pointless. People who are worth your time should accept you the way your are. I make sure that I don't wear clothes that don't have too many tears of stains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty