U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-11-2012, 03:30 PM
 
Location: Yakima WA
3,861 posts, read 4,284,377 times
Reputation: 3160

Advertisements

I remember taking a class in human sexuality and the professor mentioned when it comes to restrictions of females the U.S has one foot in the Muslim world. I thought of that comment when I read somebody's travel log of the Ukraine. He said the women looked gorgeous and dressed as feminine and sexy as can be. they were wearing skirts, hooker heels etc. He said it was so different from the U.S it was like visiting another planet.

His comment about Ukranian women that really stuck out to me is that they dress like prostitutes but they are not prostitutes. He was also amazed than none of the men looked twice at them. They are so used to women dressing sexy that it's taken for granted. If American men saw women like that (anywhere outside of a nightclub setting) they would go crazy, 75% of the guys would stare, try to pick up on them etc while the other 25% would get very angry and call them hookers. Almost all women would be angry as well, be very judgemental, and call them wh*res and sl*ts. Lot's of people would call them "cheap". I never understood this. What are women who put effort into looking sexy considered "cheap"? Shouldn't women who put no effort (or expense) into their appearance be the ones considered cheap?

The way that Americans react to women who dress super sexy, the fact that women can't dress the way they do in Ukraine (and Russia or most of Eastern Europe) without getting tons of criticism means that my professor was right all along...we have one foot in the Muslim world. We might not require a full burqa, but we certainly put restrictions on female dress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-11-2012, 03:51 PM
 
948 posts, read 1,372,067 times
Reputation: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I remember taking a class in human sexuality and the professor mentioned when it comes to restrictions of females the U.S has one foot in the Muslim world. I thought of that comment when I read somebody's travel log of the Ukraine. He said the women looked gorgeous and dressed as feminine and sexy as can be. they were wearing skirts, hooker heels etc. He said it was so different from the U.S it was like visiting another planet.

His comment about Ukranian women that really stuck out to me is that they dress like prostitutes but they are not prostitutes. He was also amazed than none of the men looked twice at them. They are so used to women dressing sexy that it's taken for granted. If American men saw women like that (anywhere outside of a nightclub setting) they would go crazy, 75% of the guys would stare, try to pick up on them etc while the other 25% would get very angry and call them hookers. Almost all women would be angry as well, be very judgemental, and call them wh*res and sl*ts. Lot's of people would call them "cheap". I never understood this. What are women who put effort into looking sexy considered "cheap"? Shouldn't women who put no effort (or expense) into their appearance be the ones considered cheap?

The way that Americans react to women who dress super sexy, the fact that women can't dress the way they do in Ukraine (and Russia or most of Eastern Europe) without getting tons of criticism means that my professor was right all along...we have one foot in the Muslim world. We might not require a full burqa, but we certainly put restrictions on female dress.
It's the legacy of Purtianism from England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2012, 12:45 AM
 
Location: Portlandia "burbs"
10,236 posts, read 13,534,151 times
Reputation: 25856
Okaaaaaay. . . So it's "better" that the Ukrainian men don't take notice of their women's appearance??? And is this professor certain that it's because they're de-sensitized to it??? I'm scratching my head over this one because "something" about this just doesn't impress me. Especially since I cannot agree with his comparison to "the Muslim world".

I'd love it if someone from the Ukraine could respond to this to confirm one way or the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top