U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-16-2012, 10:47 AM
 
Location: The Netherlands
2,942 posts, read 4,217,913 times
Reputation: 3401

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Yeah but (and correct me if I'm wrong) that appears to be albinism which is genetic disorder that comes with a long list of health problems. The blond black kids were from the South Pacific where blond hair emerged as a natural variation.

It is interesting to see clearly how race is so much more than the color of your hair or skin. No one would mistake those people for caucasians.
A few of them look like they have Vitiligo (e.g. the top right woman and the bottom middle woman) since they have a few pigmented blotches in their face.



Yes, there are Africans and Asians who completely lack pigment due to some serious disorder like albinism or Vitiligo but fortunately this is not very common.

Black people with blonde hair is extremely rare. Usually when a darker skinned person has blonde/brown hair or blue/green eyes, they have some white ancestry. For biracial people, it's actually not that uncommon to look 'white' and have blonde hair and blue eyes, I've seen that many times. I even saw a little biracial boy with freckles and a red afro once on the train, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-16-2012, 11:05 AM
 
3,517 posts, read 5,441,583 times
Reputation: 5566
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
A few of them look like they have Vitiligo (e.g. the top right woman and the bottom middle woman) since they have a few pigmented blotches in their face.



Yes, there are Africans and Asians who completely lack pigment due to some serious disorder like albinism or Vitiligo but fortunately this is not very common.

Black people with blonde hair is extremely rare. Usually when a darker skinned person has blonde/brown hair or blue/green eyes, they have some white ancestry. For biracial people, it's actually not that uncommon to look 'white' and have blonde hair and blue eyes, I've seen that many times. I even saw a little biracial boy with freckles and a red afro once on the train, lol.
Blond - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not that rare. And according to this article, the blond hair of Oceania evolved completely separately from Europeans blonds. It wasn't a blond traveler spreading their genes, just a natural variation.

However, it seems most of these folks lose their blond hair in adulthood. I just recently found out about these blond-haired, dark-skinned people and find them exceedingly interesting. I'll have to do some more googling and find out if the people who retain their blond hair are more coveted in their society than those who turn dark. It would be a really interesting comparison to the role caucasian blonds play in society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2012, 11:20 AM
 
Location: The New England part of Ohio
17,568 posts, read 21,748,544 times
Reputation: 44332
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
It is quite unusual, I've never seen the yellow ring in combination with dark blue eyes. Usually it's with brighter blue eyes and the ring is more brownish, like this:



I still wish I had light blue, green or brown eyes though. Green eyes are amazing!
Your eyes are amazing Mine are green with "bubbles" of other colors. They aren't like emeralds but they are very green.

How did you post that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2012, 11:39 AM
 
1,027 posts, read 1,289,077 times
Reputation: 1023
This could have been a standard of beauty many decades ago, it appears some presently want to hold on to this perception.

Blonde hair, blue eyes have become somewhat stale or bland , like a blank sheet of paper. I generally overlook those with blue eyes as many appear dark(er) without the sunlight. I would be a fool to state women with Blonde hair and Blues are unattractive however I prefer the total opposite.

Nothing like a sunkissed skin tone, have any of you come across fair skin legs....not aesthetically pleasing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2012, 11:43 AM
 
9,209 posts, read 18,043,938 times
Reputation: 21953
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
have any of you come across fair skin legs....not aesthetically pleasing.
I am very fair-skinned and I agree! I have very pale legs. But I care more about skin cancer than I do about having tanend legs I guess. And I can't justify the self-indulgent expense of getting my legs spray-tanned. So even if some people think blonde is "superior" many of us blondes has that balanced out by having pasty white skin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2012, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Reno (Cold Springs) NV
131 posts, read 205,479 times
Reputation: 159
Before WWII, blond, blue-eyed men were the tall dark and handsome males of the 60s (I believe the original Sam Spade from the Maltese Falcon was a blond). Adolf helped to change them into the villains of the 50s, 60s, and 70s. Also it could have likely been based that at that time, people worked outside more, accenting dark and light complexions where lighter colored characteristics were not the norm (the offshoot today seems to be the dark haired blue-eyed person).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2012, 12:09 PM
 
Location: The Netherlands
2,942 posts, read 4,217,913 times
Reputation: 3401
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Blond - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not that rare. And according to this article, the blond hair of Oceania evolved completely separately from Europeans blonds. It wasn't a blond traveler spreading their genes, just a natural variation.

However, it seems most of these folks lose their blond hair in adulthood. I just recently found out about these blond-haired, dark-skinned people and find them exceedingly interesting. I'll have to do some more googling and find out if the people who retain their blond hair are more coveted in their society than those who turn dark. It would be a really interesting comparison to the role caucasian blonds play in society.
That Wiki article confirms what I said. It is extremely rare to find indigenous black people (i.e. without any white ancestry) with blonde hair or blue eyes, just like it's extremely rare to find Chinese people with blonde hair and blue eyes. This is hardly controversial I would think. There may be some Aboriginal children in specific parts of Australia that have blonde hair but this hardly disproves my general argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2012, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,872 posts, read 28,145,186 times
Reputation: 25983
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Black people with blonde hair is extremely rare. Usually when a darker skinned person has blonde/brown hair or blue/green eyes, they have some white ancestry. For biracial people, it's actually not that uncommon to look 'white' and have blonde hair and blue eyes, I've seen that many times. I even saw a little biracial boy with freckles and a red afro once on the train, lol.
We actually quite a few red heads a few generations back in my family. My sisters natural hair color is a reddish brown, but mine is super black.

But as a kid I had freckles. And I am at the dark edge of the spectrum. So you really just don't know how people will turn out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2012, 12:40 PM
 
3,517 posts, read 5,441,583 times
Reputation: 5566
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
That Wiki article confirms what I said. It is extremely rare to find indigenous black people (i.e. without any white ancestry) with blonde hair or blue eyes, just like it's extremely rare to find Chinese people with blonde hair and blue eyes. This is hardly controversial I would think. There may be some Aboriginal children in specific parts of Australia that have blonde hair but this hardly disproves my general argument.
Maybe I'm just objecting to your use of "extremely", since the wiki page says "Aboriginal Australians, especially in the west-central parts of the continent, have a high frequency of natural blond-to-brown hair,[37] with as many as 90100% of children having blond hair in some areas." and the other article says of the South Pacific Solomon islands "Up to 10 per cent of the population is fair haired, the highest proportion outside of Europe". It also clearly states that these kids are not blond because of white ancestry, that their blond hair is caused by a different gene than the one that causes blond hair in caucasians.

I'm sorry, what was your general argument?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2012, 02:50 PM
 
Location: The Netherlands
2,942 posts, read 4,217,913 times
Reputation: 3401
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
We actually quite a few red heads a few generations back in my family. My sisters natural hair color is a reddish brown, but mine is super black.

But as a kid I had freckles. And I am at the dark edge of the spectrum. So you really just don't know how people will turn out!
That's because you probably have some white ancestry like most African-Americans (assuming you are AA).

It's true, you never know how people will turn out. It's possible that my children will have black curly hair like my father even though my hair used to be white-blonde and very straight. Or maybe the black curly hair will skip a few generations and then they'll wonder where it comes from

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Maybe I'm just objecting to your use of "extremely", since the wiki page says "Aboriginal Australians, especially in the west-central parts of the continent, have a high frequency of natural blond-to-brown hair,[37] with as many as 90–100% of children having blond hair in some areas." and the other article says of the South Pacific Solomon islands "Up to 10 per cent of the population is fair haired, the highest proportion outside of Europe". It also clearly states that these kids are not blond because of white ancestry, that their blond hair is caused by a different gene than the one that causes blond hair in caucasians.

I'm sorry, what was your general argument?
My point is that generally speaking, blonde hair and blue/green eyes are very rare for non-Caucasian people. Just because there's a tribe in a specific part of Australia that happens to be an exception doesn't disprove the overall point. Nobody said that all blondes are necessarily Caucasian, when I mentioned white ancestry I was referring to e.g. African Americans. As you say yourself, "Up to 10 per cent of the population is fair haired, the highest proportion outside of Europe". I'd say 10% is already quite rare but it's even less in the rest of the world. When over 90% of the population does not have blonde hair, yes blonde hair is extremely rare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top