Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2013, 02:26 PM

860 posts, read 1,110,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
bek most people (including people of color) find that to be the most appealing.
That's not true. I know a lot of people of color, and they love darker features.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I'm saying there's a lot of black men who rubberneck for blondes. Let's not be in denial. It's not MY standard of beauty and never will be.
Not the black men I know.

Old 12-26-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
That's because you probably have some white ancestry like most African-Americans (assuming you are AA).
What about most whites who have African American ancestry? I wonder if their dark features (full lips, wider noses, brown/hazel eyes, dark/curly hair and olive skin) is due to their African or black ancestry?

Old 12-26-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
This is an exclusionary beauty ideal. Here is some good commentary on the whole thing: Beauty Whitewashed: How White Ideals Exclude Women of Color | BEAUTY REDEFINED
Not to mention racist and self-centered.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:13 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,100,078 times
i think your wrong. yeah i get the hot blonde chick from the 80s but i dont think this still hods true. i dont think it ever did for me. when i hear women talk about menthey want tall dark and handsome so darker hair, olive skin not blonde hair blues eys fair skin. for women yeah i agree 80s early 90s that was the thing but now days i think latinas and ethnic looks are as popular if not more

Old 12-27-2013, 05:21 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
I'm not sure if the phrase 'Tall, dark and handsome' is related to skin colour at all. As far as I'm aware, it was originally applied to an English actor.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:00 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
Being that brown is the dominant gene in eye color, there will come a day when the last baby with blue or green eyes will be born.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:41 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
My favourite combination is blue eyes and dark hair on both men and women.

This is what I find most attractive as well. Or hazel color eyes. I have noticed that more people with dark hair and eyes are being shown on TV commercials and there are more women performers who are allowing their natural brown shades of hair to show rather than dying their hair blond as so many women did back in past decades.

So many blondes in the past, both men and women who were in movies and TV were really not natural blondes.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:12 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Being that brown is the dominant gene in eye color, there will come a day when the last baby with blue or green eyes will be born.
It doesn't work that way. The DNA doesn't change -- so if you have a blond blue eyed person, it's because they have the two recessive genes from both parents. If they marry someone with two dark hair and eyes genes, the children will all have dark hair and eyes (but maybe lighter because sometimes it's only partial gene dominance). This can go on for generations but as long as the blond blue eye genes are passed down, when they meet up again with another blond blue eye gene, that individual can be a blond as blond can be.

That's why if a black and white have children, the children may have all the black traits as they are dominant, but if those children marry whites, the children can be quite blond. That's also why a blond blue eyed person can have a black or an Indian grandparent.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:00 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,805 times
I don't think it is the hair color so much as the chiseled facial features that so many find beautiful.

A fugly person doesn't all of a sudden turn into a goddess putting on a blonde wig Just like a perfect 10 blonde doesn't turn into a 5, or 7, or even 9 putting on a brunette wig. If a person is hot, they're hot.

There are just some pockets of Europe that have developed very attractive people. I've been to Sweden, I've been to Spain. The standard of beauty is the face and always will be.

Recently took a trip to Australia and there are some hideous genetics down there. Then I realized they're from British stock and it all made sense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty