U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-24-2012, 04:00 PM
 
3,252 posts, read 6,082,180 times
Reputation: 1589

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfire View Post
If you dont eat enough, your body goes into "survival mode" and you won't lose weight.
Cool Then as long as I don't do anything other than drink the minimum amount of water, and take my vitamins, I will never have a food bill ever again, though I will stay fat. NOT.
The human body goes into 'survival mode' during periods of insufficient caloric intake. However, over time, if that continues, the fat supplies start to get consumed by the body, as it needs a certain minimum caloric energy source to function (the human body at rest burns about the same amount of power as a 100W light bulb. Freshman Biomed). After the fat is all consumed, it unfortunately turns to internal organs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-24-2012, 06:19 PM
 
Location: Northern NH
4,551 posts, read 9,886,932 times
Reputation: 3787
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Me thinks someone is not well versed in Thermo and Physiology.
You did state your condition, but a sample size of one only demonstrates existence, and since all variables have not been taken into account, demonstrates nothing.

Quote:"ie your example of eating no calories and you will lose weight, your body begins to store fat"

Please explain to me how you can store fat, if you are (at the extreme) consuming no calories? Where is that fat coming from that your body 'stores'?
If I could invent a person/device that required no caloric/energy input, then I have invented the perpetual motion machine.

Quote:"I think your post is actually the ridiculous one."

Go read Nature magazine, and after a few years, come back and read these posts.

Are you a doctor now? You have stated numerous times you are an engineer and "direct" relatives that are doctors are not the same as being one yourself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2012, 07:08 PM
 
3,252 posts, read 6,082,180 times
Reputation: 1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Are you a doctor now? You have stated numerous times you are an engineer and "direct" relatives that are doctors are not the same as being one yourself
I have a Minor in BME, and I read all the medical rags (well, Nature is not exactly a rag, as it the among the best, like NEJOM), as I spent so many years in the field. Never said, in any way, I am a doctor. Any other false assumptions?
What they (MD PhD's) tell me as known fact it is as good as me learning it myself. Uh oh... back to the 'horsey stalker'.
Haven't been an engineer in years... chose the medical management route.

Quote:"....are not the same as being one yourself".... The Laws of Thermo have absolutely nothing to do with being a physician. More along the lines of being a chemical engineer, or physics major (though we had to take it too). delta U = Uf -Uo = Q - W. Geez.

Last edited by SuperSparkle928; 08-24-2012 at 07:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2012, 08:38 PM
 
Location: Up in the air
19,126 posts, read 25,850,169 times
Reputation: 16226
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I don't think healthier food is necessarily more expensive, but I agree that it is definitely a commitment of time, the time to cook and the time to going to the grocer on a regular basis. You can shop smart, looking for sales, coupons, buying dried or can goods in bulk and freezing the things that won't keep and only buying fresh produce that is in season.

But shopping smart takes time and know how and so does figuring out how to turn that food into a meal. I think a lot of people are under the impression that their time is too valuable to waste on cooking.
I know a lot of 'poor' folks..between working 2 or 3 jobs and trying to take care of their family it can be difficult to sit down, clip coupons and then make recipes to cook and then cook them. A very good friend of mine is working her way through school and she's gained a bit of weight because she's at work from 5am-3pm, in school from 4-11 and has a part time job on the weekends as well. She barely sleeps anymore, much less has time to grocery shop and make food. You'd think she'd be thinner because of eating less, but when your diet consists of fast food you can shove in your mouth on your 15 minute lunch break it can cause weight gain. She could grab a salad, sure, but it's not as filling and she's hungry again a few hours later. Junk food fills her up and lets her keep working.

5 Things Nobody Tells You About Being Poor | Cracked.com

This is an interesting article, especially the part about food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2012, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Maine (finally)
72 posts, read 168,406 times
Reputation: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Are you a doctor now? You have stated numerous times you are an engineer and "direct" relatives that are doctors are not the same as being one yourself
Nah, he's just a BS artist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2012, 12:13 PM
 
Location: Maine (finally)
72 posts, read 168,406 times
Reputation: 147
[quote=SuperSparkle928;25791267]Cool Then as long as I don't do anything other than drink the minimum amount of water, and take my vitamins, I will never have a food bill ever again, though I will stay fat. NOT.
The human body goes into 'survival mode' during periods of insufficient caloric intake.
My point exactly.
However, over time, if that continues, the fat supplies start to get consumed by the body, as it needs a certain minimum caloric energy source to function (the human body at rest burns about the same amount of power as a 100W light bulb. Freshman Biomed). After the fat is all consumed, it unfortunately turns to internal organs.[/quote]
And as a result the human body will die, not the result most people want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2012, 12:18 PM
 
3,517 posts, read 5,457,974 times
Reputation: 5566
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I know a lot of 'poor' folks..between working 2 or 3 jobs and trying to take care of their family it can be difficult to sit down, clip coupons and then make recipes to cook and then cook them. A very good friend of mine is working her way through school and she's gained a bit of weight because she's at work from 5am-3pm, in school from 4-11 and has a part time job on the weekends as well. She barely sleeps anymore, much less has time to grocery shop and make food. You'd think she'd be thinner because of eating less, but when your diet consists of fast food you can shove in your mouth on your 15 minute lunch break it can cause weight gain. She could grab a salad, sure, but it's not as filling and she's hungry again a few hours later. Junk food fills her up and lets her keep working.

5 Things Nobody Tells You About Being Poor | Cracked.com

This is an interesting article, especially the part about food.
Oh, I don't mean to say that people like that are lazy, shopping and eating cheap and healthy is a time commitment and carving out that time isn't always simple. When time is hard to come by, you have to make the most of the free time you do have by planning and prepping meals right then. I read one woman's blog who plans her family's dinners for the month and devotes one Sunday to planning, assembling, and freezing everything that can be so she can drop her ingredients in the crockpot in the morning and have a meal ready that evening. That's not necessarily the best approach for every family, but I think it shows how much thinking ahead can help keep you on track.

And hopefully working fulltime and being a fulltime student is only a temporary situation and she'll have more time to devote to other things in a couple years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2012, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Northern NH
4,551 posts, read 9,886,932 times
Reputation: 3787
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
I have a Minor in BME, and I read all the medical rags (well, Nature is not exactly a rag, as it the among the best, like NEJOM), as I spent so many years in the field. Never said, in any way, I am a doctor. Any other false assumptions?
What they (MD PhD's) tell me as known fact it is as good as me learning it myself. Uh oh... back to the 'horsey stalker'.
Haven't been an engineer in years... chose the medical management route.

Quote:"....are not the same as being one yourself".... The Laws of Thermo have absolutely nothing to do with being a physician. More along the lines of being a chemical engineer, or physics major (though we had to take it too). delta U = Uf -Uo = Q - W. Geez.
Go back and read what you posted. You said you are an engineer many times ...is that another lie? Or fib.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2012, 04:41 PM
 
3,252 posts, read 6,082,180 times
Reputation: 1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Go back and read what you posted. You said you are an engineer many times ...is that another lie? Or fib.
Not that this is relevant to the initial post, but I started my career as an engineer (so I am an engineering by training, and did it for a long time), ended up in engineering management for a long time (though occasionally did hands-on), and now just play all day. I was an engineer for a long time, but in management longer. None of this is the least bit relevant to this thread, and your obsession concerns me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2012, 04:44 PM
 
3,252 posts, read 6,082,180 times
Reputation: 1589
[quote=brfire;25800889]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Cool Then as long as I don't do anything other than drink the minimum amount of water, and take my vitamins, I will never have a food bill ever again, though I will stay fat. NOT.
The human body goes into 'survival mode' during periods of insufficient caloric intake.
My point exactly.
However, over time, if that continues, the fat supplies start to get consumed by the body, as it needs a certain minimum caloric energy source to function (the human body at rest burns about the same amount of power as a 100W light bulb. Freshman Biomed). After the fat is all consumed, it unfortunately turns to internal organs.[/quote]
And as a result the human body will die, not the result most people want.
You just need to consume a little less than you burn, to lose weight slowly, in 'survival mode' or not. When you hit your target weight, then just consume enough calories to maintain that weight. This is not rocket science. Geez.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top