Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2012, 07:36 AM

499 posts, read 754,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
This is always been one thing I've never understood from people who think this way. They make it seem like just because you are in a specific category you can magically make yourself attracted to the same category.
This is called "shaming". People do this all of the time to vent their disapproval of your preferences. I see it all of the time on talk shows, w/asian men upset with asian women, and black women upset with black men. I see it with short guys against short girls also.

You get it though. Just because you belong to a certain category doesn't mean you "have to" find the opposite sex of your category attractive. Ignore the shaming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 07:55 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,060,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter002 View Post
This is called "shaming". People do this all of the time to vent their disapproval of your preferences. I see it all of the time on talk shows, w/asian men upset with asian women, and black women upset with black men. I see it with short guys against short girls also.

You get it though. Just because you belong to a certain category doesn't mean you "have to" find the opposite sex of your category attractive. Ignore the shaming.
I didn't listen to that garbage anyway, but it was still something I never understood.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:00 AM

61 posts, read 289,632 times
Jeeze
People are so nasty and stereotypical sometimes.

I've gained and regained the SAME 15 pounds for the last 8 years.

Do I have a thyroid issue?

No.

I am not obese, and I'm physically active.

I bike ride, walk miles, play volleyball, tennis, and am always on the move.

But losing weight and keeping it off is HARD work.

It involves a total life style change.

And sometimes, despite our best efforts of "eating clean", being a vegan, or whatever
Else floats our boat

We still gain because NOTHING is as good and comforting as that ice cream sundae

Amen

Old 08-28-2012, 09:10 AM

Unfortunately, judging people by their appearance will ALWAYS be a mean
Fact of life.

Thin people are looked upon as good, self controlled and worthy

And big people are looked upon as lazy, bad, and disgusting.

What makes me sick is that the hatred towards big people isn't just from the thin people
It's from other big people too.

I also noticed there are lines that divide us.

The thin/skinny category versus the big/obese category

I crossed the line from skinny to big once when I weighed 179 pounds.

There are definately 2 worlds.

Now, I'm caught in between both worlds with one leg in the big world.

Trust me, anyone whose been big or thin knows the difference in how they are treated.

What a world of difference.

Doors get slammed in your face, people ignore you and treat u like you're gross
But when you're thin or boderline thin, people worship you.

You don't realize it, unless you've been both thin and large.

That's why some large people who have experienced thiness sometimes give up.
There is so much emotional and psychological crap that comes with being large
No one would understand it.

They think its sooo easy.

Just diet, fatso!

Ummmmmm not that simple.

People are heartless in this world.

I encourage all of you, whether thin or large to have a heart, and stay healthy in mind, body and
Spirit, regardless of size.

And if and when you lose weight, do it for YOURSELF not to impress others or
Gain recognition, because EVERYONE USES THE TOILET.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercikaleb View Post
Jeeze
People are so nasty and stereotypical sometimes.

I've gained and regained the SAME 15 pounds for the last 8 years.

Do I have a thyroid issue?

No.

I am not obese, and I'm physically active.

I bike ride, walk miles, play volleyball, tennis, and am always on the move.

But losing weight and keeping it off is HARD work.

It involves a total life style change.

And sometimes, despite our best efforts of "eating clean", being a vegan, or whatever
Else floats our boat

We still gain because NOTHING is as good and comforting as that ice cream sundae

Amen
well its a trade off, If you want to eat that ice cream sundae, that is fine, but if it makes you fat, don't complain when somebody says I don't find you attractive because you are fat. This is not directed towards you personally, I'm just talking in general terms. I was fat for a long time because I was undisciplined. Very few prospects with the opposity sex. I finally got disciplined, look what happens, more prospects. Thats the trade off.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:16 AM

I don't have a problem attracting men and I'm not "fat"
But I do know what its like to be big and judged. (I'm not big now)

I see the full picture

And not all men like skinny women.

I think a lot of big women have low self esteem and they think they have less chances
When in actuality they may have more chances than they think.

Its a mind set.

I just don't think anyones character should be judged solely on what they look like.

And some of the comments here, are in my opinuon overly harsh and bigoted.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I don't have a problem attracting men and I'm not "fat"
But I do know what its like to be big and judged. (I'm not big now)

I see the full picture

And not all men like skinny women.

I think a lot of big women have low self esteem and they think they have less chances
When in actuality they may have more chances than they think.

Its a mind set.

I just don't think anyones character should be judged solely on what they look like.

And some of the comments here, are in my opinuon overly harsh and bigoted.
I'm only talking about from a physical attraction standpoint. I agree you shouldn't judge people in terms of whether you should be nice to them or not, but I don't see a problem with not finding someone attractive or not based on their size.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:24 AM

We all have our own personal preferences tis true
But people who are big are not made to feel as if it's only a matter of taste/preference IE having red or blonde hair

Old 08-28-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
We all have our own personal preferences tis true
But people who are big are not made to feel as if it's only a matter of taste/preference IE having red or blonde hair
I agree, but inregards to just dating and physical attraction, I see nothin wrong with people finding fat unattractive and not wanting to get to know them.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:23 PM

517 posts, read 993,968 times
being thin isn't all fine and dandy.

it's not just people hate fat people but in America it seems like almost everyone hates the very skinny.
many will say you're unhealthy an anorexic. Or bullimic if they see you eat claim you exercize your butt off when you've never done so in your life....
people are jealous. And watch your every move. People ask if you have a worm in your stomach. Drs talk to your mom who's the same weight as you and ask if you're anorexic. And if you do have an overeating disorder no one gives a damn. They actually encourage it by their behavior.

and also when you're thin like my mom and I you can't fit clothing right. You've got no dress size. Your dress size is in the kid's department size 10 or 12. And those dresses aren't design for female figures. You're more screwed being this small than a plus sized woman in the clothing department. If you're lucky you get clothing you can fit your figure they can look nice. But that's if. Likely this country is made more and more to accept big and isolate small people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty