Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 03:45 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,462,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I so wish they'd go back to using models on the covers.
+1

I am tired of seeing "celebs" on the cover of fashion magazines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 05:08 AM

484 posts, read 851,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I've received W, Harpers Bazaar, Elle, but no Vogue. It irks me as a longtime subscriber. Subscribers should be be receiving it before its available on news stands.

Pretty sure you should have received yours by now. Maybe, someone stole it???

I work in the cosmetic industry and we advertise with Conde Nast, so we get them a bit earlier and for free.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:14 AM

484 posts, read 851,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
+1

I am tired of seeing "celebs" on the cover of fashion magazines.

same here. It also takes work away from REAL models. Most Int. mags continue to use models on their covers. This started in America and by Anna Wintor, to generate more sales. From the looks of the very thin issues this summer and also January's issue, its not working less and less companies are advertising since their models are never being used for American covers and seldom used for editorial.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:39 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,560,924 times
I like model covers also.

I'm disappointed with so many editorial pages this issue being devoted to photos from long-past eras/issues. I don't mind a look back generally, but I don't want nostalgia in my September issue unless it's the new take on an old idea. This issue should be new, new, new stuff.

Also struck by how many stylings were done with the models wearing almost no eye makeup. That's a big switch from years of smokey eyes and diva lashes.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:38 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,144,529 times
I bought it. I'm 53, and my style of late has been no style whatsoever and I am tired of looking like a Mennonite. Need to jazz up a bit.

I have to say something quite controverisal.

When I was young, my mother read Vogue. That magazine catered to women of a certain age, who could afford to dress that way and DID dress that way.

Things have changed.

My, have things changed.

Turns out this huge issue had NOTHING in it for me. Just had a magazine (might have been In Style) where I ripped pages out of it to check stuff... but Vogue?

Just a HUGE disappointment.

And I never did find the hair article. There there a few articles about hair, but I couldn't locate the one on the cover, unless it was the tipping coloring article -- which had no point.

What happened? In thirty years the relevance of this magazine is just ... gone. Talked it over with a few friends my age who are into fashion and they said the same thing. They haven't picked up a Vogue in several years.

It's sad....another Icon down the drain.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:27 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,763,625 times
Sooo...what was everyone's analysis of upcoming trends.

I bought it after reading this thread, and because it was a freaking novel for $6. I think I don't speak fashion because it was all a blur to me.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:37 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,736,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Sooo...what was everyone's analysis of upcoming trends.

I bought it after reading this thread, and because it was a freaking novel for $6. I think I don't speak fashion because it was all a blur to me.
Well here are the only ones I am going to follow:
1. Oxblood (aka dark burgundy as a new neutral). This should fit into my wardrobe anyway, and I don't really like brown
2. Peplum is still here. (Good news, since this is one trend that works on everyone)
3. Jewel tones (these are always in every few years so no surprise, very practical)

Stuff I don't care about:
1. Brocade: too heavy/stuffy/ornate for me
2. Fancy collars: this is just too much for me. I am more simple/preppy. This doesn't fit in my look. They can be added via necklaces or other add-ons
3. Leather basics: tees shirts, pants, skirts in all sorts of colors (I don't have time/budget to dry clean leather basics. They would only get worn once or twice and then spend 6 months in my dry cleaning stack)
4. Weird shaped jackets like cocoon and other free-form shapes (this just doesn't work for busty or hourglass or pear figures. You just look boxy and shapeless, so I hope I can find a peplum of fitted/skirted trench style coat)

Old 09-09-2012, 02:02 PM

The biggest look is monochromatic schemes with textures & angles -- embroideries, leather trims, suedes, damasks, laces, peplums, sequins, and sometimes all in one garment. Most of the time in black, but camel/café-au-lait is another big monochromatic look. The other big color shakers are lipstick red, and then in descending order, purple (and their love child, magenta), teal for this year, cobalt for next year. Intermingled with the true colors are brown tweeds. The "pop of color" with the blacks & tans will be in the handbags, not the shoes. The outlier piece, totally on trend and wearable and oh-so-affordable, is a Fair Isle or Scandinavian print sweater vest. Another look is the bold graphic black & winter white - don't go dainty here; simple lines and strong b&w blocking. Lace is seen all over the place, mixed in with chunky Irish fisherman sweaters, overlaid on damask, lots of LBDs with a nude lining under lace insets, and the lace is in the monochrome scheme. Coats have a fit-and-flare line now; fashion forward coats are a wide-shouldered reefer coat. On the casual side of things, jeans & trousers are skinny or jeggings and ankle-length or slightly shorter with a natural or slightly dropped waist. Your flares & bootcuts won't look of-the-moment this year. Red/rust skinny wale cords are hot. Also hot are printed denims, snakeskin prints & lace prints especially, in dark tones. Pair with ballet flats for walking, shooties or pumps for showing off. Peplums are finally, really here this year after nicking the edges for the past two years. Dresses are sheaths, skirts are a-line or pencil, and most things are hitting at the knee. And the décolletage is covered up this year. Quite modest neck & hemlines but the clothes themselves are quite body conscious. Natural curves are followed, very slight exaggeration of the shoulders in the weaves, very soft in the knitwears. Patterns are abstract & geometric. The only "floral" patterns of note were embroideries -- always in gold thread -- or printed lace. Dolce & Gabbana had one lace-and-floral dress, and Etro had a handful of floral/paisley prints, and they looked out of place.

Handbags are square or rectangular, croc or animal print, also textured, with teals and reds the most fashionable. Still the big square totes for everyday hanging around, but the small rectangular clutch is also very strong.

Shoes: pumps are back, with an ankle strap. Open toes are much less prevalent and the hottest of these are a morph of gladiator sandals, with a very wide-spaced lacing effect over the center of the foot…and an ankle strap. Boots still around (to my surprise), a lot of texture on them, a lot of booties/shooties with ankle trim/detail/textures, with knee-high riding boots with flat/low heels being the most prevalent. Often shown with the sheath dresses or pencil skirts paired with chunky sweaters. Platforms still here, but wedges nowhere to be seen. Hosiery is absent, or a nude leg, or a sheer black. Some black tights, but not as much as previous years. Colored tights really only showed up in ads for tights.

Jewelry: enormous fake jewel statement necklaces and no earrings, or long chain earrings and no necklaces. Wide cuff bracelets. All metallics, no beads, a pretty even mix of silvers, golds, bronzes, less of rose golds. When I say enormous, I mean like 3x4 inch faceted glass pendants. These necklaces should come with a gift card to a chiropractor if worn more than 3x/week.

Makeup: Strong red lip, more matte than shiny, sometimes with an ombre overlay of another bold related color in the center of the lip. Eyes are much less done -- hardly any liner and very light on the mascara. Sometimes with a wash of bold color from the crease to the brow, but that requires almost perfect bone structure and very young skin to carry well.

Hair doesn't have a predominant shape or line in this issue. Lots of different things showing up. Long hair down in sloppy braids. Short hair in slicked & straight androgynous cuts or spiky-d up . Medium hair up in poofy sloppy French twists or smooth sleek 40's rolls. The simplest real-world hair was a pulled back & pinned/barrette'd crown and down and slightly wavy for the rest.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:02 PM

Default September 2013 Vogue

Can't believe it's been a year already!

The biggest news this year is sleeves. Not just on coats and jackets, but dresses. And dresses and dresses and more dresses. Some skirts, but it really is a big dress year. Trousers are either skin tight or a very wide leg nipped in just above the ankle. (I even saw one pair of gold metallic jodhpurs, but those are just so you can easily pick the fashion victim out of the crowds.) Lengths come in two main styles: Mid-thigh skater skirts & dresses (for the younglings) and below-knee straight skirts with slits, back or side but not middle of the front. Some full skirts as well, but probably for those too wizened to carry off the skater girl look. Also skater coats. Skater wear often teamed over leggings/jeggings and worn with the other big story

Shooties & booties, fairly flat with a lot of motorcycle styling, or over-the-knee boots, but not knee high boots and not cowboy boots. No platforms. They are out. Simple pumps & slingbacks in wearable heights are back as well. Strange/weird/interesting heels are the signature for someone wanting to stand out. Legs are mostly nude, some sheer black. Pumps also have interesting ankle/T-strap combos on some high-end stuff; will have to see if it trickles down to the masses. Definitely not dance-school T-straps, though; very futuristic shapes

Big colors are bold red, navy & cobalt blues, with a bit of mustard & acid yellow. Otherwise, it's black. But black must be textured and preferably leather. Croc, ostrich, pebbled, ruched, woven, rosettes, hairy (but not too long hairy), and if it's gonna be smooth, it damn well better have a helluva sheen to it -- but not patent. Not shiny.The blues are mostly in nautical military pieces. Lots of plays on the use of buttons as pattern, and brass buttons, double breasted, and pea coats. The cobalt blues are used on very streamlined piecesPurses are mostly satchels and doctor bags, a few hobos -- hobos are almost always in a bright jewel tone, satchels run the gamut, although the mustard yellow will be a great choice for this winter. The biggest news in texture is what I''m calling a brushed blanket look. Sort of a long mohair that's been combed. Seeing lots and lots of that, camels, browns and pastels (one of the few places I'm seeing pastels this season). An easy, fun, wearable look. And on a budget, a decent looking camel jacket in an acrylic brushed mohair at NY&Co come mid-September

Prints are small, regular and mostly floral on a black background, with some heart polka dots in a few designers. Also plaids, but specifically plaids like you find on a kilt, not muted menswear or houndstooth, but full-on tartan plaids.Waists are nipped and belted. Belts belts belts belts belts. It's hard to find a style that's wrong in a belt at the waist. Fat, skinny, big buckles, svelte buckles, metals, blacks, vivid jewel tones. But, not so much peplums this year. Still seeing a few, but not many. Makeup comes in three major storylines: RED lips & cat eyes, nude lips and Technicolor "smoky" eye, or a very very natural look with a swipe of a lipstain and maybe mascara but little else.

What else? Shawl collars on jackets. Portrait collars on dresses. No more of the swingy no-button cardigans (BUT, you can cross-wrap them and stick a belt at the waist and carry them through another couple of years). Lots more curly hair seen, punky hair colors on precision cuts, lots of topknots and simple updos. Jewelry is heavy metal, lots of thick chains, or cabochon cuts on colored stones on collarbone-length necklaces, earrings are not terribly noticeable this time around.

Last edited by weezycom; 08-19-2013 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: formatting issues

Old 08-20-2013, 08:34 PM

37,472 posts, read 45,701,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
It's almost here!...The September issue of Vogue will be out shortly so I thought I'd open a thread to find out :
1. who is anxiously awaiting the arrival of the fashion bible
2. if anyone has any rituals/traditions attached to the issue
3. comments and discussion about it's contents (e.g. loves, hates, must haves, etc.)

I'll start...

1. I can't wait, I look forward to this issue all year.
2. I actually purchase 2 copies - One I will tear out pages of what I love and/or must have to either order the exact item or find a close equivalent. The first Sunday after the issue has been released is my ritual day. I have a spa day at home in the afternoon (e.g. facial, sea salt bath, etc.) and then it's a fruit and cheese platter and champagne as I spend hours and hours going through the magazine.

Comments for item 3 will have to wait until after the release.
I've never even heard of the Fashion Bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty