U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-19-2012, 11:51 AM
 
1,141 posts, read 1,326,570 times
Reputation: 2385

Advertisements

"I think your problem is much deeper than that. I really doubt you are abused on a daily basis for having curly hair and dark skin as you say. Where do you live - in a KKK camp?"

LOL Geography Freak

 
Old 08-19-2012, 02:27 PM
 
Location: 39 20' 59"N / 75 30' 53"W
15,710 posts, read 22,761,533 times
Reputation: 17456
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post

No one is trying to sweep this issue under the rug but I believe that the truths of the discussion goes over the head of far too many people in this thread. The roots of the issue are not easy to be wrapped up, packaged or consumed for easy digestion. It has many layers and ones opinions are very often colored by where one stands on the color spectrum.
Why don't you explain it then..... Although the whole issue here will never make sense to me on a personal level, I think you're underestimating what the forum capable of digesting. And since the discussion has gone for well over 100 posts...give it go.
 
Old 08-19-2012, 03:23 PM
 
2,096 posts, read 2,939,800 times
Reputation: 2254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephkp View Post
I am from the south and I have seen many beautiful black women. They don't have to be mixed or even light skinned. What's sad is that the women that are considered beautiful in Hollywood or in the magazines are not the "average" woman. I mean yes they are real people and they are beautiful in their own way but that is just the industry standard. I see many people on this forum say that overweight or fat woman can't be beautiful either. Okay, so you many not be attracted to them but that doesn't mean that they aren't beautiful to some people.

People put too much emphasis on physical beauty and not enough on the beauty that comes from within. If you have an ugly heart, no amount of makeup or diet or plastic surgery is going to make you beautiful.

So, yes you can be beautiful. Love yourself and don't care what other people think. I have to remind myself of that everyday because believe me there are some really mean people out there.

Excellent post-so true.
 
Old 08-20-2012, 07:06 AM
 
Location: Midwest
2,975 posts, read 4,268,427 times
Reputation: 1941
People are always putting me down because of my skin tone. In the black community they remind me how dark I am, and whites seem to marginalize me. Apparently to whites I look like every other black girl because they seem to always confuse me with some other black girl that has bares little resemblance to me. Maybe if I had light eyes and skin they'd be able to know who I am
 
Old 08-20-2012, 07:10 AM
 
5,190 posts, read 3,784,673 times
Reputation: 13140
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Why don't you explain it then..... Although the whole issue here will never make sense to me on a personal level, I think you're underestimating what the forum capable of digesting. And since the discussion has gone for well over 100 posts...give it go.

That was quite the condescending post, wasn't it?


Colorism does exist, but nyanna's reaction to it is not normal.

What am I supposed to do if someone decides that I am not good enough based on my skin color? Can I change their mind? The only reaction that I can control is my own.
 
Old 08-20-2012, 09:38 AM
 
Location: La lune et les étoiles
17,413 posts, read 18,275,659 times
Reputation: 18588
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
People are always putting me down because of my skin tone. In the black community they remind me how dark I am, and whites seem to marginalize me. Apparently to whites I look like every other black girl because they seem to always confuse me with some other black girl that has bares little resemblance to me. Maybe if I had light eyes and skin they'd be able to know who I am
Stop trolling nyanna. It makes you seem even more unattractive than you already believe yourself to be. The thought if having to listen to this nonsense in real life is maddening.

This post illustrates that you are seeking attention more than anything else. Your pattern has been duly noted. As soon as the thread conversation takes a bit of a turn (onto more interesting nuances) you always chime in with another "woe is me" soliloquy about dark skin.
 
Old 08-20-2012, 10:06 AM
 
Location: NoVa
18,434 posts, read 28,520,978 times
Reputation: 19578
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Stop trolling nyanna. It makes you seem even more unattractive than you already believe yourself to be. The thought if having to listen to this nonsense in real life is maddening.

This post illustrates that you are seeking attention more than anything else. Your pattern has been duly noted. As soon as the thread conversation takes a bit of a turn (onto more interesting nuances) you always chime in with another "woe is me" soliloquy about dark skin.
....after she had been gone for 6 pages..... White people don't love her, black people don't love her. What is a person to do? Could it have anything to do with she hates the world?

You give what you get. Greet someone with a smile, and you shall receive one in return. Furrow your eyebrows and put a snarl on your lip and you can expect to get that back.

I guess I could start complaining on the relationships forum because what I normally post there is positive. Many people don't appreciate my posts because it is in a positive, happy, drama-free fashion and not what they want.

Woe is me. Everyone hates me because I have a man that loves me and I love him back. Boo hoo hoo.

I would rather think that I am opening other people up to share their positive experiences as well when I post happiness there, or wherever.
 
Old 08-20-2012, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Midwest
2,975 posts, read 4,268,427 times
Reputation: 1941
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Stop trolling nyanna. It makes you seem even more unattractive than you already believe yourself to be. The thought if having to listen to this nonsense in real life is maddening.

This post illustrates that you are seeking attention more than anything else. Your pattern has been duly noted. As soon as the thread conversation takes a bit of a turn (onto more interesting nuances) you always chime in with another "woe is me" soliloquy about dark skin.
You are just trying to sweep this issue under the rug. I am not making this up or trying to be an attentionwhore. There have been white students who I interacted with on a daily basis only for them to not remember who I was the following semester. Yet I still remember them. I guess since I am darkskin with dark eyes, I am not even important enough to acknowledge.
 
Old 08-20-2012, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Lehighton/Jim Thorpe area
2,095 posts, read 2,512,511 times
Reputation: 1691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter002 View Post

So what? In Television, you rarely see a "sexy" Asian man, "sexy" Indian man, or "sexy" Short man (Tom Cruise is not "short", he's just shy of average) taking the lead and being the one who women objectify. Rarely do you see an out of shape guy being objectified, at most paired up in a sitcom...........

Funny, I think most of the popular Indian men on TV/the movies (Timmy from Rules of Engagement, Raj from Big Bang Theory, Kal Penn) who are EXTREMELY sexy.

As for other Asian men (because Indians are, in fact, considered Asian) John Cho, Daniel Dae Kim and Jet Li come to mind--not to mention the VERY droolworthy Grant Imahara from Mythbusters.


Sorry... I get your point, but now you have me thinking of sexy Asian men
 
Old 08-20-2012, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Midwest
2,975 posts, read 4,268,427 times
Reputation: 1941
my darkskin makes me that bland and unrecognizable. the racism and colorism i go through is very painful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top