Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2012, 11:34 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,810,235 times

Advertisements

Lol@someone's skin complexion proving how black they are.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:35 AM

1,206 posts, read 2,926,814 times
I think people just go really out of their way to be PC. It is true, black women are seen as less desirable in general. If you put the most beautiful black woman next to the ugliest white woman then of course the black woman is more beautiful. However whatever the reason whether its because of colonialism, socio economic, or human instinct (light is good, dark is bad), I agree that being a black woman is a disadvantage when it comes to the dating world. That doesn't mean that you can blame your skin color for all your troubles though. Its important not to overly focus on your "disadvantages" and instead do the best you can do. I think that plenty of black women are attractive, but perhaps they don't have it as easy. Ie, they might have to date down.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:38 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,240,795 times
Even if someone happens to think biracial women are more attractive than black women, why do you care? It's just a matter of taste. I have pale skin but I don't get upset when people say they prefer women with tanned skin. Plenty of people prefer dark skinned women too. Remember what Tupac said: "Some say the blacker the berry, the sweeter the juice. I say the darker the flesh then the deeper the roots"

Old 08-17-2012, 11:40 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsh0t View Post
I think people just go really out of their way to be PC. It is true, black women are seen as less desirable in general. If you put the most beautiful black woman next to the ugliest white woman then of course the black woman is more beautiful. However whatever the reason whether its because of colonialism, socio economic, or human instinct (light is good, dark is bad), I agree that being a black woman is a disadvantage when it comes to the dating world. That doesn't mean that you can blame your skin color for all your troubles though. Its important not to overly focus on your "disadvantages" and instead do the best you can do. I think that plenty of black women are attractive, but perhaps they don't have it as easy. Ie, they might have to date down.
Thats right reinforce.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:56 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,102 times
Well shoot, she doesn't look terribly dark to me. Gabrielle Union and Sanaa Lathan are darker than she is and Jennifer Hudson looks to be a similar tone. And you could also find any number of models from America's Next Top Model (an old guilty pleasure) with a range of dark skin tones and African-esque features (obviously there's more than one way to look African, but I suspect you know what I mean).

Here are a few.

Bre
Toccara
Nnenna (who is African, not AA)
Teyona
Aminat

Aren't these the types of beauties you're looking for in the media? I agree, this look is underrepresented but it's not completely ignored and it's certainly not held up as ugly or less than their caucasian counterparts.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:03 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,306,635 times
OP,

Your just being negative or on your period.

I am a very good looking white man (no I am not posting pics of myself, trust me), married to a stunningly beautiful black hispanic woman for 20 yrs...so beautiful that I am shocked she is still there when I woke in morning. OP, I do agree mixed women are better looking, at the same time, I will say that your wrong. I see beautiful black women all the time. One thing, I do not like is that women of color straighten their hair. I love curly hair, even my beauty straightens her hair. I told her that if she went natural that she would be getting it all of the time...but that did not work either.

Stop being negative!!!!! Your beautiful!!!!

Old 08-17-2012, 12:03 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,299 times
Work out in your free time instead of sitting on the computer, get washboard abs and butt muscles, visible glutes and developed triceps - you will be swatting men off left and right.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:04 PM

2,178 posts, read 2,314,948 times
There are lots of looks and types of people that are under-represented in the media. If someone is looking to be coddled through life and shown a picture of themself on a regular basis, good luck!

Get on with your life, the clock is ticking.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:12 PM

517 posts, read 998,570 times
Kerry Washington | EthniCelebs - Celebrity Ethnicity |What Nationality Background Ancestry Race

Old 08-17-2012, 12:20 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Yes, I do base my level of attractiveness by society's standards. Everyone does it
Don't assume to speak for everyone. I for one base what I think is attractive on MY OWN standards not on what the media, society or anyone else at all thinks. Society's standard tries to tell us that anorexia thin is attractive. It surely is not in any way attractive to me. Society tries to tell us that if your lips are so big it looks like you were punched in the mouth, that's attractive. It's a crap really.

You know something? I'm so disappointed that some of the better values we had as hippies and flower children growing up in the 60's and 70's did not prevail. there was almost an entire young generation that for a while rejected almost all the ideas that are shoved down our throats by the media, advertising and the general culture we live in. It's for that reason I like the city of Vancouver BC so much. There just isn't a default socially imposed ideal of how people should appear. You have lots of people walking around in their own culture's costumes and believe me there sems to be dozens of different ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty