Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2012, 02:35 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,276,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Both?

Yes.

If it were up to me, this poster would be banned. Her threads are the same, over and over. I don't know if she wants the attention or just needs help. It's ridiculous.

I hope that people here realize that the OP does not speak for ALL Black women. In fact, I don't know of a single person in real life who is this screwed up over skin color. All of my dark-skinned friends are either married or in long term relationships. I am married (and I am dark skinned). I wonder how the OP accounts for that fact? There is nothing special or magical about any of us. We just don't sit around wringing our hands, and bemoaning the lack of people who will find us beautiful.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:42 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Originally Posted by Pear Martini
Wow! I had no idea Hilary wore blue contacts!!
Jeez...even with all of that effort Sarah Palan still looks better.

So is it just as sad and depressing when a woman with light hair or "dishwater" hair dyes her hair a rich brown, auburn, or even black? Because I see this all the time and it never bothers me as a natural brunette. People like to change their look up, and look at all of the unnatural looking brunettes out there. Celeb examples are Katy Perry and Megan Fox.

as far as black women go, I have to say one of the most beautiful woman I have seen since moving to Boston was a half black half white woman who had bronze skin skin, was 5'8", and had golden highlights. It was magnificent and that's coming from a straight woman.

I hear this b.s. in real life and online. I wasn't even expecting to stumble across this but I did. So I guess since I don't have light bronzed skin, white ancestry and long golden highlights I'm ugly. So tired of hearing that the only way a woman of color can be beautiful is if she looks like she is mixed with White
cry me a river

Old 08-17-2012, 02:48 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
Op,may I suggest you take a trip to West aFrica,where they aren't affected by the Eurocentric
standard of beauty

It will be a real eye opener. People who look JUST like you,with your features(what does that mean anyway)?
Beautiful people,in Nollywood. Get some African movies. Men who will tell you that you are beautiful all day long.
I read about a few women that did this,and they weren't the same again after coming back to the Usa.
Another thing I would suggest is get out of Detroit. If you were in the south,I would say the same thing.
Move to either an Afrocentric city(Nyc,mainly Brooklyn) or a place where there are few african americans(Seattle,but any of the West coast may do.

If you must,Plastic surgery can help I guess. Tweak your body a little,or a lot.
At least you can change some of the things you don't like. I can't.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:52 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Op,may I suggest you take a trip to West aFrica,where they aren't affected by the Eurocentric standard of beauty?
Or meet more west africans.

They seem to stick together, but are always excited to tell you all about where they are from.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:00 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Yes.

If it were up to me, this poster would be banned. Her threads are the same, over and over. I don't know if she wants the attention or just needs help. It's ridiculous.

I hope that people here realize that the OP does not speak for ALL Black women. In fact, I don't know of a single person in real life who is this screwed up over skin color. All of my dark-skinned friends are either married or in long term relationships. I am married (and I am dark skinned). I wonder how the OP accounts for that fact? There is nothing special or magical about any of us. We just don't sit around wringing our hands, and bemoaning the lack of people who will find us beautiful.
Nyanna is young. I hear it all the time in the schools as a sub nurse.
Black a.. girl,greasy black,ashy black...
So it isn't just OP,my sister tells me the same,and she works at a fed agency.
Just listen to the rap crap coming out of the south. Lil wayne,for instance,always talking about a redbone.
His famous line"I bet that bit.. look better red" refering to a pretty dark skinned girl who would look better lighskinned.

Worldhiphopstar had interviewed some high schoolers about skin color.....just google it it. The things they said,sad.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:08 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,906,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Both?

Good possibility you're right

Old 08-17-2012, 04:39 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Yes.

I think she may need help since its pretty much obsessive , maybe a lot of women feel like her but she's just not afraid to admit it (you ever seen the documentary "Dark Girls" that was a sad doc!)

Old 08-17-2012, 04:49 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,781,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Well shoot, she doesn't look terribly dark to me. Gabrielle Union and Sanaa Lathan are darker than she is and Jennifer Hudson looks to be a similar tone. And you could also find any number of models from America's Next Top Model (an old guilty pleasure) with a range of dark skin tones and African-esque features (obviously there's more than one way to look African, but I suspect you know what I mean).

Here are a few.

Bre
Toccara
Nnenna (who is African, not AA)
Teyona
Aminat

Aren't these the types of beauties you're looking for in the media? I agree, this look is underrepresented but it's not completely ignored and it's certainly not held up as ugly or less than their caucasian counterparts.
So are we just going to ignore my post with all the dark skinned women held up as standards of beauty? You know, the post that clearly counters this assertion that dark skinned women are portrayed by the media as unattractive?

Old 08-17-2012, 04:58 PM

4 posts, read 4,216 times
If you consider real black people and their typically Negroid features, such as thick lips, broad noses, and kinky hair. Those features have historically and traditionally been ascribed to just the opposite of beauty.

Western beauty standards destroy the self-esteem of colored people all over the world. You see the same BS in India, Asia, South America, Mexico, Europe, Canada, the United States, and strangely enough, even in Africa, where a few Nigerian women are now bleaching their skin and dying their hair blonde.

This psychological sickness has gone viral and has a subtle hint of genocidal overtones.

Last edited by SlimRider; 08-17-2012 at 05:21 PM..

Old 08-17-2012, 05:22 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,552,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
its not funny. my life isn't even worth living. i'm just too dark and ugly to live anymore i should have been born mixed
Post your photo. What are you afraid of? Send as a DM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty