Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 03:33 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,871,154 times

Advertisements

Most of my friends don't moisturize their faces but my mother taught me to use a moisturizer every night to prevent aging (I'm in my 20s...so starting early ).

I have lately been using a $20 apple scented night cream by Neutregena and I wake up with a dewy face..I kind of like it.

Also lately I received a sample of a $100 facial moisturizer by Lush called "Gorgeous". The smell is heavenly but it comes in a small jar...why would some pay $100 for this?

Does night cream and/or daily facial moisturizer provide anti-aging benefits?

Does it help to start using moisturizer early, like in your 20s?

Do you use moisturizer/night cream?

Which one do you use and how much does it cost?

Are there any other benefits (or cons) of using night cream or moisturizer on face?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 03:44 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,234,699 times
I use Perricone products, especially a night serum and moisturing night cream, along with his Cold Plasma. I personally believe that serums penetrate better than creams. What is important is to find what works best for you. While I like his facial cleanser, at $95 a bottle I think that is too much. So start with something like Cetaphil or Bliss Fabulous Foaming Face Wash. If you buy kits, you usually save some money and that is how I get my moisturizers and eye creams. The serum is pricey but Kiehl's midnight recovery is a great serum. You might want to start with Mary Kay. I started with Merle Norman when I was your age and I believe that starting early is what has kept my skin so good.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:15 PM

28,225 posts, read 36,688,530 times
I am only getting started with night creams.

I am experimenting with oils!

I do use day cream and sunscreen and I have been since I was 18ish.

That seems to be working out ok for me. My skin is pretty good, and I am in my mid-30s.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:21 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,622,995 times
At your age, OP, it's good to get into a moisturizing routine. There's no such thing as "anti-aging" - there's only such a thing as "if you have good genes and don't abuse your skin, you'll show your wrinkles a few years later than if you have bad genes and abuse your skin."

But - abusing your skin includes neglecting it. Your skin needs moisture, but it doesn't need a lot or moisture that it can't already get just by existing (especially at your age). So just a little dab - a drop (or creamy equivalent) patted from forehead down the neck, is all you need. Avoid the eyes - IF you want an eye cream, get an eye cream. Don't use a regular moisturizer there, especially if it's scented.

Neutrogena's fine, personally I prefer Origins and it didn't exist when I was your age or I would've used something from that line then.

Good old fashioned Oil of Olay's not bad either, but remember to go light. More is not more. More is greasy.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:21 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,351,113 times
I've been using moisturizer since my teens (as a base for my makeup) and started using treatments/products in my late teens.

I'm an avid user of Alpha Hydrox products: glycolic acid (oil free gel for morning), the acid pads at/overnight, the retinol cream at night and their foaming face wash morning & night.

Glytone is another manufacturer that I like.

During the winter months, it's not uncommon for me to use Aquaphor ointment on my face.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:27 PM

36 posts, read 53,605 times
i've been using moisturizer since my early thirties and I look 18.

Seriously you will still age, don't expect miracles. I second everything Anonchick said, go light.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:07 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,729,195 times
Just regular Oil of Olay for me. Inexpensive and works well, I also use a face scrub a few times a week.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:10 AM

44,257 posts, read 64,046,055 times
My mom has used regular (pink bottle) Oil of Olay for years. She just turned 65, and we're still waiting for the wrinkles.

Her 'facials' are just squeezing lemons and rubbing the pulp on her face a couple of times a month.

Genes are a big factor here, but I agree - you don't need gazillion dollar creams to optimize your skin health. Good food, good hydration (inside and out), taking care with the sun, no smoking...

I use Olay regenerist for day and the Olay night cream for night. For no other reason, really, than I enjoy the way they smell. But I used regular Olay for many years.

I go for facials because they feel good, and the technicians are always like, "Hm. Not much to do here."

Old 08-21-2012, 08:33 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,017,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Most of my friends don't moisturize their faces but my mother taught me to use a moisturizer every night to prevent aging (I'm in my 20s...so starting early ).

I have lately been using a $20 apple scented night cream by Neutregena and I wake up with a dewy face..I kind of like it.

Also lately I received a sample of a $100 facial moisturizer by Lush called "Gorgeous". The smell is heavenly but it comes in a small jar...why would some pay $100 for this?

Are there any other benefits (or cons) of using night cream or moisturizer on face?
The smell is heavenly but it comes in a small jar...why would some pay $100 for this?
If it works, many women will pay just about anything. Prevention is much less expesnvie and gives a more natural appearance than correcting the signs of aging later.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

I typically use several creams from the SkinMedica line (although sometimes I play the field just to be sure that what I have is still the best that I've found, and it is, though I've heard good things about Obagi, too). I also have Tretinoin from my dermatologist for helping to prevent wrinkles but I go through phases with using it.

Benefits - It may prolong the need for more drastic steps such as botox / face lifts.
Cons - Possible adverse reaction to the cream (a common problem for me since I have sensitives, but most other women are typically fine).

Remember, in addition to moisturizing, probably even more important is protecting your skin from sun daily and exfoliating a few times per week at home (and, if you're so inclined, routinely exfoliating via professional facials, microderms, etc). Exfoliating removes dull dead skin and allows new fresh skin cells to be front and center.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:19 AM

18,438 posts, read 18,546,348 times
Doublebase, foamy in a pump dispenser.. no perfumes , and does the trick.. Ive used many creams , expensive and otherwise and found this to be the best for me in every way.. smoking cigarettes cause more wrinkles than the need for creams and genetics..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty