U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 09:18 AM

10 posts, read 32,582 times

Advertisements

I have tried the Bare Minerals and agree it can be messy. I've also experienced the 'silvery' sheen it can leave if too much powder is applied. I have dry skin, so when I use the Bare Minerals, I apply a small amount of moisturizer and then have to show some restraint when applying the powder... I can tend to be excessive with all my skin care products. If I use the product sparingly, I get many compliments about my 'radiant' look..... I guess for me it is a good product IF I use in moderation.
I've tried the new L'Oreal mineral powder and it makes my pores look much larger......
I'm 43 and my skin is definitely changing. I'm searching too for a foundation that is light, doesn't get caught in my lines and wrinkles, yet offers great coverage........ When someone discovers this magical product, please let me know!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 06:58 PM

34,530 posts, read 42,694,765 times
I don't like the mineral makeup I have. It makes my skin look dry, feels heavy and it really stains wash cloths.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:44 PM

484 posts, read 691,829 times
I see a lot of tv time for this product Bare Minerals

They're owned by Shiseido, which is very impressive.

Now, I am interested in trying this product but, concerned about the messy application.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:57 PM

5,145 posts, read 10,421,193 times
Its not messier than any other loose powder. I don't use that brand in particular but with all loose powders I pick a dense flattop brush and i don't make a giant mess.

It can be more drying as its just the color part of foundation without the added liquid part that may have ingredients in it that hydrate your skin. Various brands and finish types can be more drying that others. I use a hydrating priming/finishing spray to avoid drying out. I always dust off excess with a cold blowdryer blast or loose brush.

I use everdayminerals and from what I hear they are just as good if not better than Bare Minerals.
Google around about it.

If you find your mineral foundation leaves you dry try adding it to a hydrating lotion for your face as DIY tinted lotion. I think that method is better for dry and sensitive skin that can't handle brush apps. Brushes are not great for dry skin.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:04 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,440,508 times
I don't like them, reminds me of that "Indian Earth" stuff...which did not work on me at all, blonde and very fair skinned. I have dry skin, so it just does not work for me.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I don't like them, reminds me of that "Indian Earth" stuff...which did not work on me at all, blonde and very fair skinned. I have dry skin, so it just does not work for me.

I don't think they make most of them pink enough for pale skin. The one brand PUR seemed to look pinker. When I was paler I used a lavender toned correcter to help balance the color. Pink and salmon colors can work well too for that in any foundations if you are ever feeling experimental.

In using various color ranges I do think the darker the tone the better/smoother the foundation has been for me with EDM.

But like you said...dry skin...you would probably only like whatever you picked mixed with lotion as a tint.
It sucks excess oil off my tzone so it works for my skin type. I had very dry cheeks for a spell and it needed a lot of lotion and a mid-day water spritz to freshen it up and look its best on the cheek area.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:51 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,761,890 times
I really don't think a "powder" alone is going to cover spots or discoloration. a primer, color corrector or awesome concealer really is also needed. Smashbox makes a fantastice one!

Old 07-17-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
I really don't think a "powder" alone is going to cover spots or discoloration. a primer, color corrector or awesome concealer really is also needed. Smashbox makes a fantastice one!
Well they do make concentrated pigment powders for concealing in certain mineral brands. I think the darker mineral powders cover fine. You just layer it. I cheat with a concealer stick when pressed for time or if my eye area needs a bit of moisture.

The powder is just what colors the cream and liquid bases of other makeups but mineral based. Not all color is mineral based on those formulas. I do think that primers make them go on nicely though.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:13 AM

34,530 posts, read 42,694,765 times
I like the idea of Bare Minerals, so I might give it a try sometime. As I said in a previous post, I just feel as if it is going to lie in large pores and wrinkles and make them more noticable.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I like the idea of Bare Minerals, so I might give it a try sometime. As I said in a previous post, I just feel as if it is going to lie in large pores and wrinkles and make them more noticable.

A primer helps prevent that big time. I like tarte's clean slate primer. The mineral primers that I have tried don't do the same level of smoothing on my skin for whatever reason. My t-zone had large pores when I first tried out mineral and with the sheen finishes I did think it showed pores unless I would set it with a matte powder. But with the tarte primer I didn't have to. It also calmed my skin with long term use. (just looked more even and no random days of irritated skin)

That was the old formula though. They have a new formulation out:
Tarte Clean Slate™ Deluxe Primer Trio: Shop Primer | Sephora

Nice little sampler for 9 bucks. Its limited edition so snatch it up while you can.

My skin is healthier now so I only use my Reviva labs rosewater as a primer....but 9 bucks...hmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty