U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 12:38 PM

11,336 posts, read 19,256,241 times

Advertisements

As I've said before I have a real problem with all powders... just can't use them. Bare Minerals is itchy itchy, Loreal dried me up like a prune, Everyday Minerals itchy, dry and made me look like a cracked fresco -- 2000 years old and badly in need of restoration. But THE LURE of mineral foundation just kept calling to me.

I recently got samples of Cowgirl Dirt. As far as I can tell they are online only. I am NOT affiliated with them. Welcome to Cowgirl Dirt - 100% Natural and Organic Cosmetics

There's no bismuth (which is supposed to cause the itching and is the really tinny shiny ingredient) and they have included jojoba oils and other natural oils.

The samples are generous and the colors are easy to figure out. Instead of using creative names and no groupings so you have to guess, the chart is divided into cool, neutral and warm, and numbered 1-7 (I think) I'm a 2 Champagne (neutral).

I've used the makeup about three times -- no itching, no problems, I can do light coverage, which is what I prefer. Not shiny shiny. Lasts throughout the day. Doesn't settle in the lines.

There's still the drag quotient -- I've always felt that powders on my face cause my fingers to drag on my skin. I'm a face toucher, and this drag really annoys me. And then there's the application factor. I love my tinted moisterizer, and it's ease of application for me. Plop a tiny bit on my finger spread over fingertips and pat pat pat all over face. The powder stuff takes TIME. And the buffing buffing buffing is annoying to me.

So in my honest opinion it's a sort of a toss up between my Tarte Smooth Operator and Cowgirl Dirt.... and ease of use of Tarte is winning. BUT -- when I go back east in August -- I'm taking the Dirt... because in the heat and humidity the Dirt may win there.

Gentlearts -- before you invest -- do try samples. Not everyone is adding jojoba oil to mineral makeup and I really think that made the difference in the comfort level for me and also the not settling into pores and lines. Everyday Minerals has been listing a jojoba base, but there's nothing in it yet to buy as far as I can tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 12:59 PM

5,145 posts, read 10,341,109 times
They have that jojoba base in the sample section, face page and it kits on the splash page.

I wanted to try it and now so even more because of the pore thing.

If you have to overbuff you may have the wrong shade. I tap apply it to the face areas like how anyone puts on regular foundation and then buff. It takes about a minute if that. (various brands)

What do you mean drag though? Like it feels cakey or something? Or your fingers are pulling off color?

Thanks for the link on new stuff to try out.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
They have that jojoba base in the sample section, face page and it kits on the splash page.

I wanted to try it and now so even more because of the pore thing.

If you have to overbuff you may have the wrong shade. I tap apply it to the face areas like how anyone puts on regular foundation and then buff. It takes about a minute if that. (various brands)

What do you mean drag though? Like it feels cakey or something? Or your fingers are pulling off color?

Thanks for the link on new stuff to try out.
I love to try new makeup -- it's so fun! And I'll try your method -- I just might need practice. I'm thinking the fat kabuki brush might also not be the right one for me.

By drag... hmmm... when I run my fingers over my skin, they slide because my skin is silky (although right now, it's oily -- just got back from a massage). With powders of any type (except talc!) there's just the tiniest bit of grab, which is very probably why the color stays put. Talc is not grabby, in fact -- in certain cases it's a lubricant, which also absorbs moisture, which is why face powders that have talc feel silky -- although they also dry me out. But that grab factor when I touch my face feels like my skin is rough and it's ... unnerving.

I think it's because I put makeup on and then forget about it.... and then when I run my fingers over my face, I get that "what the!" effect and then remember oh yeah -- it's the makeup.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:19 PM

484 posts, read 687,264 times
going to look for a shop that has the Bare Minerals and try it out. I'm even more curious and these posts are great.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:26 AM

5,145 posts, read 10,341,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I love to try new makeup -- it's so fun! And I'll try your method -- I just might need practice. I'm thinking the fat kabuki brush might also not be the right one for me.

By drag... hmmm... when I run my fingers over my skin, they slide because my skin is silky (although right now, it's oily -- just got back from a massage). With powders of any type (except talc!) there's just the tiniest bit of grab, which is very probably why the color stays put. Talc is not grabby, in fact -- in certain cases it's a lubricant, which also absorbs moisture, which is why face powders that have talc feel silky -- although they also dry me out. But that grab factor when I touch my face feels like my skin is rough and it's ... unnerving.

I think it's because I put makeup on and then forget about it.... and then when I run my fingers over my face, I get that "what the!" effect and then remember oh yeah -- it's the makeup.

LOL...i totally have alice coopered myself when I forgot I put on eyeliner. That is always awesome. Haha!

Is your brush the fluffy dome type or flat top?

I went with the flat top for coverage as its a property of the flat top cut. Its an EDM one but the elf studio line flat top is its runner up but gives a little less coverage due to brush density. I use the elf one if my EDMs is dirty and for blush. I do think that the EDM ones give better coverage but even comparing the elf flattop to a domed cut I can see the coverage difference in any powder. I feel like I have more control with the flat top and there is less make mess in loading and tapping off the brush.
I just use a ceramic olive oil dipping dish to sprinkle the powder into for loading. Its big enough that it keeps from making a mess or damaging the edges on brushes. You can also sprinkle it out wider so you don't have a huge blob of minerals in the center of your brush.

On drag - That is what my mineral can feel like if: my skin is doing its dryness thing and/or I didn't use my rose spray.

I did an experiment yesterday and combo-ed a sheen finish mineral base under the CG clean compact to test what talc on top would do.
Worked rather well to matte it out without looking dry and felt more silky like you said. I did use the rosewater spray. Before the compact it just felt like skin from the spray. Pre-spray I could feel a slightly rougher texture, the spray melted it in. I do pat in the spray too. (that press and roll motion that helps any foundation look airbrushed)

Old 07-18-2012, 03:48 PM

It's a dome shape, but it's not fluffy at all. The brush is from Origins. I bought their mineral powder when it first came out, and I managed that well -- but I had to over moisturize so I couldn't use it daily. When I ran out, I luckily read the ingredients, and they snuck in soy... my allergy ingredient. So that was out.

I have to go to the dreaded mall and buy some clothes for my neice's wedding, so when I'm there I'll hit Sephora to get some good brushes -- I'm still using that crappy Sonia Kashuk one for blush.

I hoping to find some nice ankle pants and tunic top -- it's an informal wedding at a park....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty