U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 04:01 PM

4,286 posts, read 13,009,052 times

Advertisements

I've never used foundation because I don't like how it feels on my face or how I look with it. I usually just brush a thin layer of pressed powder. As I'm getting older I have a lot of sun spots and I saw an infomercial about mineral powder but before I spend the money I would like to get opinions.

Do they really cover spots?
Do they feel heavy on the skin?
Do they help with shine?
What is the best brand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 10:24 PM

7,269 posts, read 9,126,301 times
Bare Essentials is GREAT GREAT GREAT!! I bought a couple different ones like Almay and another brand I cannot even remember the name of (maybe Neutrogena) at Walgreens to compare it to BE - and the ones at Walgreens are sooooo way out of the ballpark whereas quality is concerned. Bad! I took them back for a refund.

If you call Bare Essentials to order - make sure you get the Revver-Upper - it's excellent. It fills any fine lines that you may have and it makes your makeup stay on even longer. I really love it. They'll try to upsell you on the eyeshadow collections ("Meet the Browns" - "Meet the Blues," etc) - and their whatever its called Collection with like a years worth of makeup (eyeshadows, eyeliner, etc) - but definitely consider trying the basic collection first! I think you'll like it.

Oh - and - if you order the foundation in a color that ends up not meeting your skin tone - they will send you another foundation for FREE and you do NOT have to send back the one that is the wrong color. They have good customer service.

They feel very light on the skin. The "imitation types" at Walgreens feel like you have baby powder on your face - did not like that - I washed it right off and marched back to Walgreens. Bare Essentials is almost like you are not wearing anything at all. They do help with shine, yes. Best of the best out there is Bare Essentials. The rest do not even compare. You can also buy Bare Essentials at Ulta and if you have a Bare Essentials store at your mall - you'll find it there too.

Last edited by JeepGirl118; 10-04-2007 at 10:34 PM..

Old 10-04-2007, 10:56 PM

329 posts, read 1,304,008 times
I , too was so tempted by the infomercial and QVC I finally gave in and purchased Bare minerals foundation, Mineral veil, blush and of course the Kabuki brush ($28) It's nice, but a little disappointing. It is MESSY first of all, powder all over the place. That I could live with but it was the little creases on my face that turned me off. Maybe it is meant for much younger skin? I don't have wrinkles, per se but it just seemed to settle into the few lines I do have. I didn't find it flattered me. The coverage is good but you definately need to put a little more on than they demonstrate. I liked the mineral veil, I recommend it. A really great finish that leaves an awesome glow. I know they say it's for all ages but I think if you're over 45, skip it. IMHO.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:07 PM

1,911 posts, read 8,045,391 times
I do make-up for weddings and I don't care too much for the application process or the end result of the mineral powders.
It is messy with the powder going everywhere as it is applied.
If you have oily or dry skin it's really not a good choice.
It grabs the oils and makes pores seem larger it also can add a bit of sheen, something an oily complexion does not need extra of.
Same goes for dry skin...it can settle into creases. I've tried the "crease relief" on clients and it didn't make for a "clean" look, IMO.

I like the tinted moisturizers. Those can go on very smoothly without the heavy mask of a liquid foundation. And looks very natural.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:26 PM

151 posts, read 565,673 times
The best, hands down, is by Philosophy. It's called Airbrush foundation. It is awesome, to put it mildly. Bare Escentuals is messy and can leave you with a silvery glow if you put on a little too much. The Airbrush make-up comes with it's own applicator that you sort of pounce on. I'm not really sure how it works, but it's mess free and let's you apply all over or only where you need it and it blends completely. I hate foundation with an intense passion, but this stuff knocked my socks off. I really like the company's "Make Up Optional" approach.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:25 AM

56 posts, read 302,618 times
I agree with the majority - bare essentials was too messy and left creases on my skin - they say in the commercial that it is supposed to do the opposite for "older" skin. I don't wear any foundation now - just sun screen and moisturizer (spell) and a bit of cover stick if i need it. I like the Max Factor cover stick - it's pretty easy to match one's complexion too.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:36 AM

5,111 posts, read 9,946,538 times
It didn't work well for me either.... I have oily skin and it made my skin look even oilier because it makes it more shiny, I think it's due to the bismuth in there? Also, it does settle into every tiny line. I look better with just a bit of plain oil free powder!

Old 10-05-2007, 08:58 AM

4,286 posts, read 13,009,052 times
It sounds like it really depends on your skin and maybe age? I'm 43 and I don't have too many wrinkles but a couple creases, which I don't want to stand out even more. I have dry skin but if I'm out all day the t-zone gets a little shiny. I'm a neat freak, so I don't want messy powder everywhere and have to clean it up everyday. I currently use Physicians Formula bronzer and it's ok but it doesn't even out my skin.

Has anyone alse used Philosophy, as mentioned above?

Old 10-05-2007, 09:12 AM

1,854 posts, read 6,661,534 times
I have to agree. I have the Bare Essentials and can't stand it. Besides the mess it also left my pores looking very large. I have dry skin. I LOVE the Philosophy Supernatural. No mess and nice even coverage and you feel like you have nothing on. I have also used the Jane Iredale pure pressed base and thought it was very nice. You get more coverage with the Jane Iredale than the philosophy so if I want to look a bit more made up for evening or such I will use that. It gives a very flawless finish to the skin. Jane Iredale also has the loose powder but once again messy.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:26 PM

2,942 posts, read 11,846,656 times
I ordered this through a shopping network - I believe it works well on some skins but I do not care for it at all. It makes my skin feel odd and it's just not for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty