U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 01:08 PM

9,209 posts, read 18,039,121 times

Advertisements

I kind of think the OP is the only one who's not "moving on"....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 12:22 PM

722 posts, read 1,533,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL, I was a kid of the sixties and I'm only 50.

We learned math without calculators too.
The baby boom generation, including the ones who said "don't trust over 30," are mostly in their 60s and 70s now. Jack Weinberg who made that quote is now 72. The '60s were long before my time. I don't give a crap what a bunch of people said or how culture was nearly half a century ago. That shouldn't apply today.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:58 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,480,858 times
Everyone ages differently, I have met plenty of 30yr olds who act a whole lot older than their tender years, only today my 21yr old daughter proclaimed that she had come home from work early as her back hurt and she "wasn't feeling it", shes pregnant and has the 'poor me I'm sick' thing going on which infuriates me.
I'm 49, have 5 children and 2 grandchildren and keep wondering when I'm supposed to feel 'old' or even 'middle aged' (seeing as society likes to pigeonhole us) I'm an empty nester which to me means time for me to do what I want, when I want and go where I like. I eat healthier now than I have before and I work out, I don't wear clothes that are in fashion but I do keep an eye on the guiding principles and put a little of it into how I dress, granny jeans and birkenstocks have never featured in my wardrobe and never will. I love my life

Old 09-11-2012, 09:18 PM

40,885 posts, read 32,642,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
Everyone ages differently, I have met plenty of 30yr olds who act a whole lot older than their tender years, only today my 21yr old daughter proclaimed that she had come home from work early as her back hurt and she "wasn't feeling it", shes pregnant and has the 'poor me I'm sick' thing going on which infuriates me.
I'm 49, have 5 children and 2 grandchildren and keep wondering when I'm supposed to feel 'old' or even 'middle aged' (seeing as society likes to pigeonhole us) I'm an empty nester which to me means time for me to do what I want, when I want and go where I like. I eat healthier now than I have before and I work out, I don't wear clothes that are in fashion but I do keep an eye on the guiding principles and put a little of it into how I dress, granny jeans and birkenstocks have never featured in my wardrobe and never will. I love my life
Right on, Jan and same here (four kids and seven grandkids, and I'm fifty). I feel better and think I look better than I did when I was 25. I had a real baby face then, and now my features are more defined and I actually have cheekbones! No significant wrinkles and I am full of energy!

Not only that - I have a WHOLE LOT more money - and free time -than I did when I was in my twenties. WOOHOOOOO!!!

If people in their twenties had any idea how good they could look, and how great they could feel, and how LITTLE THEY WILL CARE what other people think about how they look, or think, or act, when they are "middle aged" I think they would be very surprised.

If I could go back to age 25 - but had to be as immature and foolish as I was at age 25 - again, I would refuse the offer.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:19 PM

40,885 posts, read 32,642,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brajohns81 View Post
The baby boom generation, including the ones who said "don't trust over 30," are mostly in their 60s and 70s now. Jack Weinberg who made that quote is now 72. The '60s were long before my time. I don't give a crap what a bunch of people said or how culture was nearly half a century ago. That shouldn't apply today.
Oh, you are so smart.

Have you stopped to wonder about how you will feel, think, or act when you are over thirty? When you are in your fifties, sixties and beyond? Do you realize that you will be the same person you are today - if you are lucky enough to live that long?

Old 09-13-2012, 09:45 AM

2,890 posts, read 5,152,172 times
Each decade birthday of mine is so much better than the last one. I am more confident in myself than I have ever been. I have a great husband, career, and life.

The only time I ever feel older is when I see a child that has grown, it puts time in perspective. Alas, another good reason not to have kids!

Old 09-16-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh, you are so smart.

Have you stopped to wonder about how you will feel, think, or act when you are over thirty? When you are in your fifties, sixties and beyond? Do you realize that you will be the same person you are today - if you are lucky enough to live that long?

I am 31 now. I was not alive in the 60s or 70s. What some guys, who are very old or dead now, said in those decades should not apply to me here in 2012. Times have changed(or should have).

Old 09-16-2012, 12:53 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,386,997 times
Default LOL, I can't even insert "with all due respect" here...

Quote:
When someone talks about 30 like it is an old man, I take it personal.

Look at this post:

"08-22-2012, 08:30 PM
Trimac20
17,912 posts, read 9,333,456 times

Wasn't one of the counter-culture mottos 'don't trust anyone over 30?"

He is bringing a quote up that was said 50 years ago, something that was said long before I was even born. The guys who said this are either in their 60s and 70 now, or dead. This shouldn't apply today. 30 is young and it shouldn't be treated any differently than teens or twenty somethings, and that is the campaign I am on.
You are kidding, right? You are actually then saying that you want to be treated LIKE a teenager...and that's the campaign you've chosen? WOW, all I can say is... be the change and shine your light on the world; go for it!

I will close with...(and I do mean it, sincerely)

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 09-16-2012, 12:57 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,386,997 times
Default With all due respect...

Quote:
you're sort of cute when you get angry (okay, yes, I am...LOL).

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIswhere...

Old 09-17-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
you're sort of cute when you get angry (okay, yes, I am...LOL).

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIswhere...
Yey, I don't see why what some guys, who are really old now, said before my time should affect me here in 2012. Apparently they do according to some people. That is stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty