U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 12:45 AM

3,858 posts, read 4,278,882 times

Advertisements

I don't hear anyone call 30 old these days. It used to be more common. In the 70s there was a country song "backside of thirty". From the lyrics it seemed 30 was a milestone of being old and it was all downhill from there. I don't hear that mindset at all anymore.

I do however agree with the "middle age" posts. If we go by life expectancy or the median age of the population. Late 30s/early 40s is the true middle aged. Most people who call themselves middle aged are in their 50s or even 60s are well past middle age. They are in denial...which I realize can be comforting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 08:37 AM

15,732 posts, read 17,291,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Agreed! And while we're at it, get rid of the stupid notion that motherhood is some kind of barrier to ever looking cute, sexy or fashionable again. Women use that as an excuse way too much, 'oh I used to look cute and dress up until I had kids', I'll just wear man jeans with holiday sweaters and birkenstocks, because I'm a MOM now. Like there's some rule that moms can't dress up or look good. In France and probably other European countries there's no such terms as a 'yummy mommy' or MILF - it's because they don't comprehend why a woman that has had kids wouldn't keep taking as much care of herself as she did before. Seems to be an American thing.
Where do you live? I don't know anyone that wears man jeans, holiday sweaters and birkenstocks...or anything that even resembles that look.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:45 AM

9,209 posts, read 18,049,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brajohns81 View Post
Ummm I am 31. You are actually 12 years older than me. I am glad that you have embraced your age and everything, but I am far way from 43 still.

My complaint is people still seeing 30 as old or middle age this day in age.

Sorry, I didn't realize you were the OP. I just responded because of your response to my other post about "middle aged."
If you are 31, who the heck is saying that is "old?" Maybe if you're a model or a gymnast, or still living in the college dorms, 31 might be "old" but not really anyplace else. If anything, I hear people making certain ages sound younger, like I said above, not older. Going by those people, if 60 is "middle aged," then you're not "old" until maybe 95-100, then you at 31, might be able to say you're an adolescent!

Old 08-22-2012, 09:18 AM

3,252 posts, read 6,062,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
Where do you live? I don't know anyone that wears man jeans, holiday sweaters and birkenstocks...or anything that even resembles that look.
No flames please....
I guess you don't get out a lot.... Not that I ever go to either place, but go to a Walmart or Disneyworld... failed pannus muscles are literally disgusting. Granted, men are worse, but 64% of women are overweight, 35% are obese, and 6% are morbidly obese. Back to topic.
One of the basic instincts of humans is reproduction, and men are attracted to young, fertile women. (I am just the messenger, I don't make up the rules). One equation I have heard many a time is: age of SO woman = (age of man)/2 + 9, and women with children are 'damaged goods'.

I don't necessarily agree with what I have written, but those are just my observations.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:59 PM

722 posts, read 1,534,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I don't hear anyone call 30 old these days. It used to be more common. In the 70s there was a country song "backside of thirty". From the lyrics it seemed 30 was a milestone of being old and it was all downhill from there. I don't hear that mindset at all anymore.

I do however agree with the "middle age" posts. If we go by life expectancy or the median age of the population. Late 30s/early 40s is the true middle aged. Most people who call themselves middle aged are in their 50s or even 60s are well past middle age. They are in denial...which I realize can be comforting.

Actually, even in the sources that use late 30s as the beginning of middle age, for the most part, old age officially begins at variable ages between 60-65, depending on what source you look at. 55 is sometimes considered the beginning of old age, but rarely. Below 55 is almost always considered still middle age. I have worked at places that have given senior citizen discounts and the ages to qualify was always over 60(62 for the most part). Besides middle age for women using your standards and going by the chart of life expectancy for the United States is 80 for women and 75 for men, so that means middle age begins at 35 for men and 40 for women. The overall life expectancy is 78, which makes the beginning of middle age using that method at 38. Many parts of the world the life expectancy is even higher than that(but these countries are a lot more progressive and forward thinking than America). America will get there to though.

List of countries by life expectancy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Either way, early 30s(where I am at)is NOT middle age by any standard, and I want that stupid thinking many seem to have that it is old or middle age to END, and not when I myself is 40 and past that age, I want it to end very SOON.

And yes that mindset you are talking about still very much exists here in America.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periquita View Post
Reality is it's old for them. I don't see anything wrong with that, we were all 20 at some point and thought of older people as old. Whether they are overweight, unnactractive it doesn't change the fact that you could be their mother. To them you are not more attractive, they still will find their age group more attractive than people who look like their parents. And that's the way it should be.
No, actually it really shouldn't. I at 31 years of age am not old enough to be the father of someone that is 20 years of age right now. I was 10-11 years old when they were born. People 30 years of age right now would have been 10 when they were born. The closest I might come to being old enough to be someone's father is someone born about 1994, and even that is something that is very much looked down upon because that would mean that I would have had them at 12-13 years of age(I was born in April 1981).

The age for which I would start being not seen as bad for having children would have started around the year 2000, and people born during that time are not even teenagers yet.

Besides, take a look at my OP again. In the middle ages and before you were EXPECTED to be married with children before the age of 20, but times change.

Besides, not everyone in their 30s look it either.

Last edited by brajohns81; 08-22-2012 at 07:27 PM..

Old 08-22-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Sorry, I didn't realize you were the OP. I just responded because of your response to my other post about "middle aged."
If you are 31, who the heck is saying that is "old?" Maybe if you're a model or a gymnast, or still living in the college dorms, 31 might be "old" but not really anyplace else. If anything, I hear people making certain ages sound younger, like I said above, not older. Going by those people, if 60 is "middle aged," then you're not "old" until maybe 95-100, then you at 31, might be able to say you're an adolescent!

Umm there are models and gymnasts over 30. Quite a few have participated in this year's olympics in London.

As far as the model part, there are models of all ages:

Where Professional Models Meet Model Photographers - ModelMayhem

Old 08-22-2012, 07:30 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,144,896 times
Wasn't one of the counter-culture mottos 'don't trust anyone over 30?' Boy I'm 26 yet some days I still feel 16! What does that make me?

In today's youth obsessed pop culture 30 can seem old. Especially when it's so teen-orientated. For the rest of us with more important things to worry about, 30 is very young. If we can expect to live to 100 by the 2040s or whatever, than 30 is less than 1/3 the way there!

Old 08-22-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Wasn't one of the counter-culture mottos 'don't trust anyone over 30?' Boy I'm 26 yet some days I still feel 16! What does that make me?

In today's youth obsessed pop culture 30 can seem old. Especially when it's so teen-orientated. For the rest of us with more important things to worry about, 30 is very young. If we can expect to live to 100 by the 2040s or whatever, than 30 is less than 1/3 the way there!

The 1960s ended over 4 decades ago!! That was long before I was even born. The early '60s was half a century ago now. Like I have repeated many times on here: TIMES CHANGE. We have entered a whole new millennium and century since then.

Like I have also been trying to point out on here many times: 30 is still YOUNG this day in age. How many times do I have to repeat that before I go blue in the face?? PLEASE READ!!

Old 08-23-2012, 09:04 AM

9,209 posts, read 18,049,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brajohns81 View Post
Umm there are models and gymnasts over 30. Quite a few have participated in this year's olympics in London.

As far as the model part, there are models of all ages:

Where Professional Models Meet Model Photographers - ModelMayhem
I know there are exceptions, but I was just pointing out that those people, in their respective fields, are considered "old."

I'm having trouble even figuring out your agenda for this thread.
You are 31, and evidently someone has referred to you as "old," sparking your original post.
Most of us have responded by saying, in one way or another, that 31 is certainly not "old."
I still have not seen you describe who has called you "old" and in what context, apart from a mention of someone in their teens or 20s thinking 30 is "old."
Now you are trying to argue with my offhand comment about the few places in the world where 31 "might" be considered "old," when I was only trying to understand in what context someone called you "old."

Your title says the thread is about "getting off the outdated idea that 30 is old" and for the most part everyone is saying that this idea doesn't really exist anymore (apart from among teenagers, who think everyone is old.) The idea must be "outdated," very outdated, because none of us are seeing it come up. You said (very much later in the thread) that some people in their teens and 20s think 30 is old, and that this is somehow trying to rob you of your youth. That was followed by more desperate exclamations & pleas about this having to stop "now!"

So why are you hanging around teens and 20-somethings? When you were that age, didn't you think people in their 30s were old? And how on earth does some teenager thinking 30 is old depriving you of enjoying your youth????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty