U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-23-2012, 02:51 PM
 
Location: On the edge of the universe
994 posts, read 1,297,809 times
Reputation: 1405

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brajohns81 View Post
The 1960s ended over 4 decades ago!! That was long before I was even born. The early '60s was half a century ago now. Like I have repeated many times on here: TIMES CHANGE. We have entered a whole new millennium and century since then.

Like I have also been trying to point out on here many times: 30 is still YOUNG this day in age. How many times do I have to repeat that before I go blue in the face?? PLEASE READ!!
That's what I was saying earlier. 30 is still relatively young in this day and age; my people live an average of 85 - 105 so middle age actually might start at around 47-48 for me. With the things are progressing in medicine and biochemical science, 80 could be the new 20 (I'm NOT joking there, I've seen what they're experimenting with.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-23-2012, 02:56 PM
 
3,517 posts, read 5,449,143 times
Reputation: 5566
BAAAH, 30 IS SOOO OLD. All 30 year olds have gray hair and wear suspenders and go to bed at 7 o'clock every night!!!

There, now does that change anything at all? Have I stolen your youth and vitality by calling you old? Are you now going to get kicked out of dance clubs or denied skydiving lessons because you're over-age?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 04:24 PM
 
722 posts, read 1,536,114 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I know there are exceptions, but I was just pointing out that those people, in their respective fields, are considered "old."



I'm having trouble even figuring out your agenda for this thread.
You are 31, and evidently someone has referred to you as "old," sparking your original post.
Most of us have responded by saying, in one way or another, that 31 is certainly not "old."
I still have not seen you describe who has called you "old" and in what context, apart from a mention of someone in their teens or 20s thinking 30 is "old."
Now you are trying to argue with my offhand comment about the few places in the world where 31 "might" be considered "old," when I was only trying to understand in what context someone called you "old."

Your title says the thread is about "getting off the outdated idea that 30 is old" and for the most part everyone is saying that this idea doesn't really exist anymore (apart from among teenagers, who think everyone is old.) The idea must be "outdated," very outdated, because none of us are seeing it come up. You said (very much later in the thread) that some people in their teens and 20s think 30 is old, and that this is somehow trying to rob you of your youth. That was followed by more desperate exclamations & pleas about this having to stop "now!"

So why are you hanging around teens and 20-somethings? When you were that age, didn't you think people in their 30s were old? And how on earth does some teenager thinking 30 is old depriving you of enjoying your youth????
No, actually I have NEVER thought of 30 was old, 40 kind of, but not 30s. 20-somethings shouldn't think it is old either, they are only a decade away(less than a decade as you move through your 20s of course). This day in age, there should be and more exceptions. We are still living in the 20th century and we are not moving forward as a society. Society should change with the times, they have done many times in history before. There are so many things I didn't achieve in my teens and twenties(many of them simple things that most people enjoy). Now I find myself at 31 still having a chance, but now being cheated out of it. Also, other posters on here and on other threads have pointed out that men of all ages find 30 old. Teenagers don't think 20s is old either. I don't hang around people 13-25, but their opinions seem to be the only ones that matter.


Besides, age is just a number invented by man. It is used in all of the wrong ways too. Society and the world has changed many, many, many times in the past. Why are we still so far behind now in the third millennium and 21st century?? I have yet to see this "hope and change" Obama promised. We are not moving forward. Illegal aliens in the USA got it, but where the heck is mine?? I was born and bred here.

Besides, like I have repeated many times on here, at one time 18 was considered old,but that was over 500 years ago. 30 shouldn't be this day in age at all. I also worry that it will change for 30 after I am like 40, so all of these other jerks right now calling 30 too old will end up getting the extended youth. NOT RIGHT!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 04:25 PM
 
722 posts, read 1,536,114 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandice1000 View Post
That's what I was saying earlier. 30 is still relatively young in this day and age; my people live an average of 85 - 105 so middle age actually might start at around 47-48 for me. With the things are progressing in medicine and biochemical science, 80 could be the new 20 (I'm NOT joking there, I've seen what they're experimenting with.)

I don't know about going that far in our lifetime, but there sure as heck is absolutely no excuse for 30 to still be the way it still is this day in age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2012, 09:55 AM
 
9,209 posts, read 18,076,412 times
Reputation: 21953
Quote:
Originally Posted by brajohns81 View Post
Now I find myself at 31 still having a chance, but now being cheated out of it. Also, other posters on here and on other threads have pointed out that men of all ages find 30 old. I don't hang around people 13-25, but their opinions seem to be the only ones that matter.

....so all of these other jerks right now calling 30 too old will end up getting the extended youth. NOT RIGHT!!

With all due respect, I really think your point of view, though clearly "real" to you, is not the way the majority of the country sees things.

Apart from a few posters you might have seen about people thinking 30 is "old," this just is not the case in the real world. Why do you have this idea that what teenagers think (people 13-25) is the only opinion that matters???? Matters to whom? I don't understand why your life is so affected by what teenagers think. You seem to have this notion that teenagers rule the world or something.

Also, you have not explained what you are being "cheated out of" and how you are being cheated. And how are these teenagers getting some "extended youth" that you are being deprived of?

Really, no one here is getting it. We are probably going to conclude one of the following:

1. You were somehow hurt or disrespected by a teenager or 13-25 year old who called you old and you are venting here as if it's some universal problem when it was really just an isolated incident.
2. Something in your life has gone wrong, and rather than working on what really caused it and fixing it, you are blaming it on some imagined conspiracy that the world sees 30 as "old" and this conspiracy has unfairly labeled you.
3. You are just trolling to incite conflict here.
4. You have a mental illness, and nothing we say here is going to affect your fixed delusion, and arguing here is not going to help you like professional help can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2012, 12:31 PM
 
Location: USA
18,587 posts, read 13,710,249 times
Reputation: 12151
Hell, there are "Old" looking and acting 28 year olds and youthful looking and acting 50 year olds. Genetics, environmental exposure and good living can add or take aways years to anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2012, 09:38 PM
 
722 posts, read 1,536,114 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
With all due respect, I really think your point of view, though clearly "real" to you, is not the way the majority of the country sees things.

Apart from a few posters you might have seen about people thinking 30 is "old," this just is not the case in the real world. Why do you have this idea that what teenagers think (people 13-25) is the only opinion that matters???? Matters to whom? I don't understand why your life is so affected by what teenagers think. You seem to have this notion that teenagers rule the world or something.
It does seem that way. How does it not to you??

Quote:
Also, you have not explained what you are being "cheated out of" and how you are being cheated. And how are these teenagers getting some "extended youth" that you are being deprived of?
Being cheated out my youth, by this outdated society that thinks a number invented by man actually makes you a certain way. It isn't just teenagers who keep saying this, on the other thread on this topic, I am arguing with some middle age posters who keep saying the same things.

Study says women lose their looks at 35 years old


Quote:
Really, no one here is getting it. We are probably going to conclude one of the following:

1. You were somehow hurt or disrespected by a teenager or 13-25 year old who called you old and you are venting here as if it's some universal problem when it was really just an isolated incident.
Actually no, I am a 31 year old guy who has actually been using anti-aging products since I turned 21. I also have started drinking green tea, a lot of water, and using sunscreen a lot more since I was 29. I now put sunscreen on everytime I get out in the sun and try to avoid the sun as much as possible by not going outside during the daytime. As far as exercise goes: I have been working out since I was a teenager. I did use tanning beds and I did smoke there for awhile, but I stopped while I was still in my 20s.

Most people mistake me as early 20s. When I added a part time job at JcPenney last year during the holidays, I was talking with a couple of guys in their very early 20s when I first started there. One was having his birthday and the topic came to age. I lied and said I was 23, and they believed it without any look of skepticism in their face.

Quote:
2. Something in your life has gone wrong, and rather than working on what really caused it and fixing it, you are blaming it on some imagined conspiracy that the world sees 30 as "old" and this conspiracy has unfairly labeled you.
Well, like I have said before, I did too many things in my teens and twenties that I now regret. I missed out on a whole lot of the most basic things 18-29 year olds enjoy. I also battled a huge weight problem during most of the decade that I am now just getting under control at 31. I think in this day in age I should still have a chance to make up for it all because 30 isn't what it was 100 years ago, but too many people of all ages seem to be stuck in that yesteryear mindset here in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2012, 12:00 PM
 
9,209 posts, read 18,076,412 times
Reputation: 21953
No, I don't see that the opinions of teenagers rule the world, or affect my life at all. You're in a different world it seems.

I still don't see how those opinions, even if they do exist, deprivve you of anything. You keep saying it's cheating you out of your youth, but it doesn't kmake any sense how the opinions of teenagers can take anythign away from you.

Also, since you may have been obsessed with this "youth" idea since your early 20s, maybe YOU have cheated yourself out of your youth, by worrying so much about getting old and not just enjoying your 20s?

If you missed out on anything in your 20s, that was on YOU. It's just unhealthy to blame some abstract "force" out there instead of just owning it and learnign from the choices you've made.

And it sounds more like if you were "cheated" out of anything, it was because you were overweight for a long time. I would agree that "weight-ism" is much more prevalent and powerful in our society than some weird brand of age-ism that labels 30 as "old."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2012, 02:59 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
72,896 posts, read 64,340,187 times
Reputation: 68773
Quote:
Originally Posted by brajohns81 View Post
I am really sick of it!! These days it is not old or middle age. In the middle ages 18 was considered old. Women were expected to be married with children by 18 or they were considered an "old maid." Times change, lifespans go up, new technologies come along. People also learn to start taking care of themselves better. We are still largely living in the 19th century as a society and we really need to start working on some serious progress.
Who said 30 was old, except for a few misogynists on the Relationships forum? Most people in real life don't think this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2012, 10:45 PM
 
722 posts, read 1,536,114 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
No, I don't see that the opinions of teenagers rule the world, or affect my life at all. You're in a different world it seems.

I still don't see how those opinions, even if they do exist, deprivve you of anything. You keep saying it's cheating you out of your youth, but it doesn't kmake any sense how the opinions of teenagers can take anythign away from you.

Also, since you may have been obsessed with this "youth" idea since your early 20s, maybe YOU have cheated yourself out of your youth, by worrying so much about getting old and not just enjoying your 20s?

If you missed out on anything in your 20s, that was on YOU. It's just unhealthy to blame some abstract "force" out there instead of just owning it and learnign from the choices you've made.

And it sounds more like if you were "cheated" out of anything, it was because you were overweight for a long time. I would agree that "weight-ism" is much more prevalent and powerful in our society than some weird brand of age-ism that labels 30 as "old."
But it wouldn't matter if I was 31 now if it wasn't seen as "the end" like it is. It is 2012, it is time to move into it. I should still have another chance to make up for what I didn't have in my teens and twenties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top