U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 09-01-2012, 07:49 AM
 
Location: Dallas TX
14,333 posts, read 20,585,793 times
Reputation: 20249

Advertisements

It is all perspective. When you are young, 30 is SO old. When you are in your 20's 50 seems SO old, and so on.

It also doesn't matter someone's age. There are many people in their 40's that behave like a teenager!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-01-2012, 12:49 PM
 
88 posts, read 220,437 times
Reputation: 88
I'm thirty and have come into my prime, as I think 30 can be the prime age for many men. Comparing pictures of myself now and when I was 20, the differences are striking. I definitely have more angular, sharper and contrasting features. A mature hair line (not in a bad way), and although I was physically well built to the same size back then, all the tendons in my forearms seem to be quite pronounced now.

Things I've noticed have been not necessarily getting more nor less attention from the 24-30 age group but WOW, the 30-50 especially the 40-50 are horn-dogs for the 30 somethings. I would say my bank teller is probably 45. Ten, even five years ago she wouldn't have given me a glance. Now, it embarrasses me trying to avoid all the playful flirting...and she's married! Today she had slacks on that when she turned around, it was oh-so...sweet baby Jesus. Lord I am a weak weak, pitiful man
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2012, 06:37 PM
 
Location: The Midst of Insanity
3,225 posts, read 6,129,285 times
Reputation: 3209
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I

50 is the new 35. I don't know WHAT 35 is - barely out of the extended adolescence of the late twenties that we're seeing now, perhaps?

People live longer now. At age 45 we can consider ourselves half way through our life. Thirty five used to be that mark.

At age 50, I feel as good as I felt when I was 25 - and that was pretty dang good.
Why do people say this? Is 35 the new 20? Is 20 the new 5? 50 is 50 and 35 is 35.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2012, 06:39 PM
 
Location: The Midst of Insanity
3,225 posts, read 6,129,285 times
Reputation: 3209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8Arrow View Post
I'm thirty and have come into my prime, as I think 30 can be the prime age for many men. Comparing pictures of myself now and when I was 20, the differences are striking. I definitely have more angular, sharper and contrasting features. A mature hair line (not in a bad way), and although I was physically well built to the same size back then, all the tendons in my forearms seem to be quite pronounced now.

Things I've noticed have been not necessarily getting more nor less attention from the 24-30 age group but WOW, the 30-50 especially the 40-50 are horn-dogs for the 30 somethings. I would say my bank teller is probably 45. Ten, even five years ago she wouldn't have given me a glance. Now, it embarrasses me trying to avoid all the playful flirting...and she's married! Today she had slacks on that when she turned around, it was oh-so...sweet baby Jesus. Lord I am a weak weak, pitiful man
Would you avoid the flirting if the teller was a 22 year old?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2012, 08:41 PM
 
88 posts, read 220,437 times
Reputation: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Would you avoid the flirting if the teller was a 22 year old?
If she was married also, yes. I'm also taken, so.......

In general, if I knew she was 22, I most likely would show no interest. I was never really into one night stands and that's about all I could see her as. But if I was out and about again, I would place my preferred age range from 24-34...perfect being 28-30 for any kind of relationship.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2012, 07:48 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
41,081 posts, read 32,757,593 times
Reputation: 57202
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Why do people say this? Is 35 the new 20? Is 20 the new 5? 50 is 50 and 35 is 35.
Are you just being facetious or do you really need to have this explained to you?

Generally speaking, people used to be considered a full fledged adult when they were 18. Now many people live at home, unmarried, till they are well into their late twenties.

People used to think about retiring at age 55. Now most people don't retire till they are into their late sixties.

People used to have kids in their early twenties - now many people put off having children till they are in their thirties.

People used to be considered matronly or definitely middle aged after age 35 or 40. They dressed that way and carried themselves that way. Now many people don't consider themselves or others "middle aged" till they're pushing sixty - and they may NEVER dress or act matronly!

As life spans have increased, and healthcare is more advanced, the concept of "middle age" has altered. Also, with divorce and remarriage more common, more people in their 40s, 50s, 60s and beyond are dating - and guess what - many of those people have more expendable income, which means that not only are they dating more - they are PLAYING more.

I recently visited Hot Springs Village - a gated community where the median age is 67. It was actually amazing. The state of the art fitness center was FULL of people in their 60s and 70s - working out with gusto, playing tennis, swimming laps, taking spin classes and zumba. Laughter and chatter filled the air. The energy in the air was palpable.

At fifty, I am looking forward to the probability of 40 more active, healthy years (genetics are in my favor on this one). One hundred years ago, the expected lifespan of a woman was 55 years.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2012, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,885 posts, read 28,188,703 times
Reputation: 26019
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

I recently visited Hot Springs Village - a gated community where the median age is 67. It was actually amazing. The state of the art fitness center was FULL of people in their 60s and 70s - working out with gusto, playing tennis, swimming laps, taking spin classes and zumba. Laughter and chatter filled the air. The energy in the air was palpable.

At fifty, I am looking forward to the probability of 40 more active, healthy years (genetics are in my favor on this one). One hundred years ago, the expected lifespan of a woman was 55 years.
My Aunt, who is turning 70 this year, used to work in one of those assisted living homes as an event planner. When she was in her early 60s. She was teaching everyone ballroom dancing, going to shows, going to the theater, etc.

She is super active, and regularly goes ballroom dancing to the theater and travelling all over the place. She even got remarried in her late 50s/early 60s. No need to slow down now. For her 70th she plans to go to Europe.

I want to be like her in my 60s!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2012, 01:06 PM
 
722 posts, read 1,535,760 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Are you just being facetious or do you really need to have this explained to you?

Generally speaking, people used to be considered a full fledged adult when they were 18. Now many people live at home, unmarried, till they are well into their late twenties.

People used to think about retiring at age 55. Now most people don't retire till they are into their late sixties.

People used to have kids in their early twenties - now many people put off having children till they are in their thirties.

People used to be considered matronly or definitely middle aged after age 35 or 40. They dressed that way and carried themselves that way. Now many people don't consider themselves or others "middle aged" till they're pushing sixty - and they may NEVER dress or act matronly!

As life spans have increased, and healthcare is more advanced, the concept of "middle age" has altered. Also, with divorce and remarriage more common, more people in their 40s, 50s, 60s and beyond are dating - and guess what - many of those people have more expendable income, which means that not only are they dating more - they are PLAYING more.

I recently visited Hot Springs Village - a gated community where the median age is 67. It was actually amazing. The state of the art fitness center was FULL of people in their 60s and 70s - working out with gusto, playing tennis, swimming laps, taking spin classes and zumba. Laughter and chatter filled the air. The energy in the air was palpable.

At fifty, I am looking forward to the probability of 40 more active, healthy years (genetics are in my favor on this one). One hundred years ago, the expected lifespan of a woman was 55 years.
THANK YOU!! Times change. That has been the point I have been trying to make all along.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2012, 01:09 PM
 
722 posts, read 1,535,760 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8Arrow View Post
I'm thirty and have come into my prime, as I think 30 can be the prime age for many men. Comparing pictures of myself now and when I was 20, the differences are striking. I definitely have more angular, sharper and contrasting features. A mature hair line (not in a bad way), and although I was physically well built to the same size back then, all the tendons in my forearms seem to be quite pronounced now.

Things I've noticed have been not necessarily getting more nor less attention from the 24-30 age group but WOW, the 30-50 especially the 40-50 are horn-dogs for the 30 somethings. I would say my bank teller is probably 45. Ten, even five years ago she wouldn't have given me a glance. Now, it embarrasses me trying to avoid all the playful flirting...and she's married! Today she had slacks on that when she turned around, it was oh-so...sweet baby Jesus. Lord I am a weak weak, pitiful man
You know, I am really getting sick of this kind of talk too. Talking like you should be some wrinkled old prune sitting on the porch with a cane in hand. You are 30, you can still look good if you keep it up. That is the same at any age. Why do you think there are overweight, out of shape children and teenagers?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2012, 01:15 PM
 
722 posts, read 1,535,760 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Wow Kathryn, you look great! But I fear your points will be lost on our OP, who has chosen to be enslaved by the attitudes of teenagers, and to blame this for everything that goes wrong in his life.

Not just teenagers, it seems to be people of all ages.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top