U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 07:58 AM

15,732 posts, read 17,330,935 times

Advertisements

I prefer a well dressed man. That doesn't mean suits, but he should look like he pulled his clothes out of the closet, not the dirty laundry basket.

My husband prefers jeans and tees around the house and at other social events. If we go out and I'm wearing a nicer dress I expect him to wear khakis and a button down.

Basically I prefer a man dress for the occasion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 08:11 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,447,993 times
It depends where we're going, how the weather is, etc. Sometimes, I like him in a tux or suit. Sometimes, just jeans and a t-shirt.

Sometimes, nothing at all.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:27 AM

6,413 posts, read 4,498,014 times
As a guy, I usually dress very casually, and try to be "event appropriate". But if I'm going to wear shorts and a T-shirt, I'll usually ask my date if she minds (until I get to know her better). I'm not a designer kinda guy, but I do try to look like I thought about how I look on a first date.

As a guy, I also like a woman that can look good in jeans and a T-shirt, that doesn't need a lot of make-up, and that generally has natural beauty. That's what attracts me, so I try to not overdo it when I dress either.

I'm me, and don't want to put on any facades. It would suck if someone who I really liked fell in love with "fake me".

Old 08-22-2012, 08:31 AM

13,798 posts, read 16,340,607 times
Both look great, but casual.

It also depends on what he's doing and where he's going. I'd hope that even the casual dresser would know when to dress up. I love it when I get to help him too. <3 I think I like fashion retards.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:38 AM

5,258 posts, read 7,802,536 times
If you're talking about regular, day-to-day stuff, then casual by far. I'm a casual dresser and I typically am attracted to that type.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:38 AM

7,736 posts, read 13,992,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
Do girls here prefer their guys to wear the latest J. Crew fashion trends or do you think guys look better with jeans and a nice shirt on? Obviously this all about opinion, but I've noticed a lot of guys dressing super preppy when going out and whether girls prefer guys like that or a little more casual.
I always considered J Crew on the casual side.

I prefer men to dress situation appropriate. I'm attracted to a man in ripped jeans, a greasy tee shirt and work boots just as much as a man in a dress shirt and slacks. The difference is where I'm spotting them.

When it came to dating though, I preferred neat & polished...and again, specifics on attire differed on what we were doing or where we were going.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:19 AM

26,906 posts, read 28,241,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Put together and not sloppy is the key. Some men look like bums all the time and try to convince others they just like to look "casual". Casual doesn't mean sloppy, casual means informal. My casual looks are always well thought out and pieced together. I don't expect any less of a man.
I am a sucker for a stylish guy. Stylish and appropriate.

Basically, pick interesting pieces that scream you, and make sure they fit well. Accessories are cool too.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:40 AM

1,661 posts, read 1,156,588 times
What exactly do you mean by "dressed up"?

Is chinos + button down "dressed up"?
Is a dress shirt + chinos "dressed up"?
Is a dress shirt + wool trousers "dressed up"?
What about jeans and a dress shirt?

On most day I am "dressed up" (depending on how you define it). At work, I have to dress up. Outside of work, it's mainly chino's, sport shirts, button downs (short and long sleeve), dress shirts, etc. Rarely do I wear just a t-shirt and jeans with sneakers. It's not about impressing anyone, just about looking good, feeling good, and presenting yourself as a proper gentleman.

I am a 26 year old male.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:08 AM

13,036 posts, read 21,547,626 times
It depends on the place and occasion. Wearing a Tux at a football match would be rather silly and wearing frayed jeans and t-shirt at the Opera inappropriate.

The style I find sexiest on a man is "casual smart" personally but Hubby wears a lot of casual stuff on the whole and it has its place too.

The most important is to dress appropriately IMO. And to know what suits you. As in women I have little respect for Men who are fashion victims for example and let others dictate their wardrobes. Label freaks are a turn off.

Some men look uncomfortable and "wrong" dressed up to the nines , others it suits perfectly. You have to know what looks good on you and have the confidence to carry it off.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:18 AM

11,687 posts, read 13,126,666 times
[quote=robertpolyglot;25748565]Correct, and kudos to you for your attitude.

When I lived in ATL for a few years, I wore a suit to work. I couldn't wait to get out of it....quote]

Oh god, I'm with you all the way. I finally took my last job because I didn't have to wear a suit. The day I retired I donated my suits to the local thrift shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty