U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2012, 10:06 PM

2,151 posts, read 2,638,212 times

Advertisements

Do girls here prefer their guys to wear the latest J. Crew fashion trends or do you think guys look better with jeans and a nice shirt on? Obviously this all about opinion, but I've noticed a lot of guys dressing super preppy when going out and whether girls prefer guys like that or a little more casual.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 10:12 PM

1,506 posts, read 3,168,837 times
I've never completely grasped the concept of dressing fancy in public..

Who do you want to impress your gf or the public?

Old 08-21-2012, 10:20 PM

23,903 posts, read 31,130,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
Do girls here prefer their guys to wear the latest J. Crew fashion trends or do you think guys look better with jeans and a nice shirt on? Obviously this all about opinion, but I've noticed a lot of guys dressing super preppy when going out and whether girls prefer guys like that or a little more casual.
I like both. Totally depends on where we are going.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:22 PM

74 posts, read 123,922 times
Designer high dollar labels don't do much for me really but I honestly don't look at a guys clothing labels. Clean, dressed appropriately for the situation and not too perfumed up works for me as long as he is a nice guy and not a jerk.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:22 PM

34 posts, read 72,743 times
Like " ZZ Top's" song says, "every girl's crazy about a sharp dressed man". I don't like men that dress sloppy. Even on a picnic, you can wear casual shorts and top, just not old and worn out. I think people dress to casual and sloppy these days. It's like they don't have any self respect or pride.

A well dressed man catches my eye every time!!

When in doubt, it's better to be a little over dressed, then under dressed.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:29 PM

3,942 posts, read 3,872,959 times
I rather a guy dress the way he wants to in order to be more of himself.

I don't want to date a guy who looks like he works for a cell phone shop and has to impress my by wearing a fanny pack cell phone. If that's his forte, that's cool too. Just not my style.

I like the laid-back look. But if a guy wants to dress up retro looking, more power to him. Whatever floats your boat.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:38 PM

14,752 posts, read 27,518,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
I rather a guy dress the way he wants to in order to be more of himself.
Correct, and kudos to you for your attitude.

When I lived in ATL for a few years, I wore a suit to work. I couldn't wait to get out of it. In my off time, I dressed in a clean college sweatshirt or t-shirt, clean jeans and topsiders. A CAP (Catholic American Princess) I was going out with didn't like that. She expected me to dress like a frat boy off work - chinos and a button-down shirt, as a minimum. That didn't go over with me at all. We fought constantly.

About the being overdressed than under-dressed, eh...not so sure. I have had overdressed, though in business attire, hurt me in some interviews.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:03 AM

16,487 posts, read 20,332,656 times
I prefer someone that dresses more casual, but someone that is of course neat and clean.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:53 AM

5,485 posts, read 6,071,782 times
as long as your clothes is well fitting and clean, it usualy makes little difference. you dont need to blow alot of money as a guy on designer labels, just wear clothes thats congruent with your personality and appropriate for the occasion. Sure women will have their preferences but as a man, u really shouldnt worry too much about trying to impess someone with unimportant things. Im a jeans and a tshirt type of guy, and looking at guys dying in suits when its 105 degrees outside, makes me gag just a little.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:48 AM

3,053 posts, read 3,427,485 times
Put together and not sloppy is the key. Some men look like bums all the time and try to convince others they just like to look "casual". Casual doesn't mean sloppy, casual means informal. My casual looks are always well thought out and pieced together. I don't expect any less of a man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty