U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 09:57 PM

2 posts, read 5,793 times

Advertisements

I'm over 45 and have hair at about bra length. I really like my long hair. However, my stylist and others keep telling me that long hair does nothing for me and that I really should get it cut short. If I want to be painfully honest, I know that short hair probably would look best on me. But I also really love long hair on myself.

Should I cut it because, ultimately, that's probably what looks best, or should I keep my hair the way it is, because that's just how I really like it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 10:39 PM

329 posts, read 1,312,349 times
A suggestion: Before you get a drastic, much shorter cut try getting it cut in stages. Have her go to your shoulder for example and if YOU feel it truly does flatter you more, go back for an even shorter length. Ultimately it is YOUR decision, but while I may not trust the stylist if enough family and friends are weighing in on it, there must be some truth to it. Don't be afraid of change.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:46 AM

21,416 posts, read 29,537,833 times
Why not cut it slowly, after all it will grow back, if you can't stand it. And you're probably right the shorter hair probably will look better and make you look younger, which to me is a good thing

Old 10-05-2007, 06:58 AM

969 posts, read 2,460,035 times
short hairstyles. Photo gallery of short hair styles.

I recently decided that "long hair" wasn't about keeping the hair - it was about trying to keep the age when long hair was right for me.

I found out that my new "short" asymetrical hair cut is MUCH more flattering

short haircuts. Pictures of short hair styles.

and brings MANY more compliments than the old fashioned long layers that I held on to for WAY too long.

Print out some pictures and bring them with you to the hairstylist and ask which best suits your face shape. Also - some colorful highlights/lowlights will jazz up a spunky short look.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:30 AM

2 posts, read 5,793 times
Grasonville, thanks for the link, but those pictures are not me at all! Even if I cut it shorter, I'd never cut most of it off like that. No offense, but those pictures frighten me.

My real argument is should I wear my hair the way I want, regardless of how others feel, or should I cut it the way others think I would look best?

Old 10-05-2007, 08:44 AM

969 posts, read 2,460,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anneanne View Post
Grasonville, thanks for the link, but those pictures are not me at all! Even if I cut it shorter, I'd never cut most of it off like that. No offense, but those pictures frighten me.

My real argument is should I wear my hair the way I want, regardless of how others feel, or should I cut it the way others think I would look best?
No offence taken - I never would have thought to cut my hair this much either.

Here is an analogy - I go to a garden store and say I want advice - what plants should I plant? The gardner says "Roses' - "I" say I want TULIPS - I always had TULIPS - I see no reason not to grow TULIPS!

The gardner would be justified in wondering why I asked for advice from a garden expert if I wanted to keep doing the same thing anyway.

Hair is the kind of thing that GROWS BACK - and a GOOD hairdresser is an EXPERT on what looks good on what face shape and age range. Emphasis on GOOD - I don't take advice from the hack at the Hair Cuttery.

You could also go to a wig store - and TRY ON a shorter style to see if you would like the NEW YOU.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:29 PM

7,268 posts, read 16,849,851 times
If you like your long hair, I say keep it.
Remember the song; "so ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself."
It's like someone might say to me that showing a thong outside my jeans would look stylish, doesn't mean that I'm going to rush to do it.
I would do what you want to do and stop listening to this person and when you're ready to go short, she'll be the next person to know after you.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:38 PM

8,668 posts, read 19,917,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
If you like your long hair, I say keep it.
Remember the song; "so ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself."
It's like someone might say to me that showing a thong outside my jeans would look stylish, doesn't mean that I'm going to rush to do it.
I would do what you want to do and stop listening to this person and when you're ready to go short, she'll be the next person to know after you.
I have to agree with song, here! I do listen to other's opinions, but about my own appearance, if my opinion disagrees with theirs, sorry, but I'm doing what I like! I do take stronger consideration as to what my husband likes also but beyond that... no, I would do what I liked.

Old 10-07-2007, 04:53 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,304,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anneanne View Post
I'm over 45 and have hair at about bra length. I really like my long hair. However, my stylist and others keep telling me that long hair does nothing for me and that I really should get it cut short. If I want to be painfully honest, I know that short hair probably would look best on me. But I also really love long hair on myself.

Should I cut it because, ultimately, that's probably what looks best, or should I keep my hair the way it is, because that's just how I really like it?

Ill be 58 on my BD and Im growing mine out. When I was younger I had hair to there. Over the years It got shorter but never boy thats short. With my hair really long and really short are only two cuts that dont require maintenance.

When I worked in the office I got up every am and fussed with my hair. Office hair stays put cause youre not outside etc. I dont want high maintenance hair now that Im livin a more casual but busy lifestyle. Also Im outside more and Im hot.

Personally I think you can have long hair when youre older if you dont try to wear it like a 16 year old. Long straight hanging in your face. Also with short hair you get one look maybe two. I can wear mine tons of ways depending on the fuss level I willing to put into it. Truthfully tho as soon as it gets hot it goes up. But again I can wear it tons of ways.

If I were you I would add shoulder length and longer layers for movement and interest. Id also add some bangs of some kind and some sideburn layers around your face for softness. You will still be able to pull it back when you need to and you can fuss it up for dress up. Works fo me.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:42 AM

428 posts, read 2,217,756 times
I had long hair for years. It's short now, and has made such a difference in how I feel about myself. For instance, every 8 weeks I go in and get it done, and I leave looking like I've lost 5 pounds. And, I love not having a sweaty scalp in the summer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty